PDA

View Full Version : Commander malfunctions/sabotage I'd like to see . . .

Albrecht Von Hesse
02-07-07, 09:19 PM
Well, like probably isn't the right word. :p ;)

jammed inner torpedo door
jammed outer torpedo door/cap
jammed rudder
jammed dive planes
jammed vents
jammed main induction
shorted batteries(Lots of 'jammed' there, I know :p )

What it is:

jammed inner torpedo door: jams the door open; can be repaired while submerged, repair time fairly short.
jammed outer torpedo door/cap: jams the door/cap open; can only be repaired while surfaced, repair time from 30 minutes to an hour.
jammed rudder: locks the rudder into whatever position it is at the time the malfunction or sabotage occurs; can only be repaired while surfaced, repair time from 1 -3 hours.
jammed dive planes: locks the dive planes into whatever position they are at the time the malfunction or sabotage occurs; can only be repaired while surfaced, repair time from 1 -3 hours.
jammed vents: either jams them open or closed; can only be repaired while surfaced, repair time from 1 -3 hours.
jammed main induction: jams it either open or closed; can be repaired either on the surface or submerged, repair time 5 - 30 minutes.
shorted batteries: drains the effected compartment's charge to zero; unrepairable.What the effect(s) are:

jammed inner torpedo door: prevents loading the effected tube.
jammed outer torpedo door/cap: prevents loading the effected tube.
jammed rudder: depending upon the angle of the rudder, this will force the boat into a contant, non-stop gentle circle or a sharp tight turn.
jammed dive planes: if the planes jam in the dive position forward motion will continually force the boat deeper; in the surfaced position forward motion would constantly force the boat upwards.
jammed vents: prevents blowing the ballast tanks and fully floods them, making the boat very negatively bouyant; i.e. you sink quick if you go slow or stop.
jammed main induction: if you dive with it jammed open the diesel compartment starts rapidly flooding; you're unable to dive until it is fixed.
shorted batteries: whichever compartment shorts out, you lose that entire charge; this cuts your submerged distance in half (amongst other things, too; I know in the game itself it's possible to lose a battery compartment due to damage).Not at all sure if any of these are possible, but they'd certainly make life more 'interesting' (in the Chinese-curse way! :p ). I happen to like the malfunctions and sabotage I've encountered before (again, 'like' being subject to interpretation ;) ) but, from what I've seen, they're more of an annoyance than something potentially life-threatening. And all these are things that can, and have, actually occurred to submarines.

Comments, anyone?

ReallyDedPoet
02-07-07, 09:33 PM
Not at all sure if any of these are possible, but they'd certainly make life more 'interesting' (in the Chinese-curse way! :p ). I happen to like the malfunctions and sabotage I've encountered before (again, 'like' being subject to interpretation ;) ) but, from what I've seen, they're more of an annoyance than something potentially life-threatening. And all these are things that can, and have, actually occurred to submarines.

Comments, anyone?

I also like the malfunctions\sabotage option, these would be a nice addition. Be interesting to see if they can be integrated into the game.

HEMISENT
02-07-07, 10:02 PM
Actually, theres nothing that can be done about the bow caps, jammed dive planes already included as are a drastically increased turn rate signifying rudder/steeering problem malfunction.read the readme plus search for the posts. There are already 3 different battery malfunctions included.

Albrecht Von Hesse
02-07-07, 10:25 PM
Actually, theres nothing that can be done about the bow caps, jammed dive planes already included as are a drastically increased turn rate signifying rudder/steeering problem malfunction.read the readme plus search for the posts. There are already 3 different battery malfunctions included.

Well, yanno, I've assumed the 'readme' for Commander is the included JoneSoft.txt file. At least, I can't seem to find a 'readme.txt' anywhere for that. And the JoneSoft.txt file doesn't seem to specifically state what the entire gamut of malfunctions and sabotage is. Perhaps you can point me to the readme file of which you speak?

And I have searched for posts, yet have not been able to find that elusive conclusive list. I'm sorry I made the error of making suggestions.

Madox58
02-08-07, 12:45 AM
I think the search function here is, not to great, to put it nicely.
If I could find info without going through 750,398 posts in a thread
brought up in results would be great!

Abd_von_Mumit
02-08-07, 05:10 AM
I think the search function here is, not to great, to put it nicely.
If I could find info without going through 750,398 posts in a thread
brought up in results would be great!
You can get the search results as posts, not threads. That's much easier, when you are looking for some specific info.

@Albrech von Hesse:
Comments? Excellent idea. I'd like to have all these features too. :up:

Herr Kapitan
02-08-07, 05:21 AM
I prefer marmalade myself :p:p:p

ReallyDedPoet
02-08-07, 08:17 AM
I prefer marmalade myself :p:p:p

Welcome:up: