PDA

View Full Version : Changing Conning tower postion

Boris
01-18-07, 02:41 PM
I assume it's possible to somehow change the position where one stands on the conning tower? I'd like to have a better view of the Foredeck, maybe even being able to see the deck cannon.

I gather this probably has something to do with using the mini tweaker. Anyone got any idea which parameters need to be changed?

cobalt
01-18-07, 02:56 PM
that would be awesome, it probably has something to do with the camera file and isnt too hard to code.

Boris
01-19-07, 09:00 AM
no-one has any idea?

Venatore
01-19-07, 09:06 AM
This is what I do, when I'm up in the conning tower I hit F11, this brings you to the AA gun on the rear of the deck - VIIB/VIIC 1939-1945, don't have a crew member manning the gun. All you do is when your in that postion turn around and SHAZAM ! your standing at the rear of the conning tower deck, its not the best fix but it works.

KevinB
01-19-07, 10:00 AM
What I do is turn upside down all the way using the up/down arrows and it makes you higher than the rest of the crew.

Madox58
01-19-07, 10:34 AM
Looking at the cam files in the Submarine folders with a hex editor,
there is an X and Y Dim setting and a Depth setting.
Perhaps changing those.
I haven't tried it yet.

Boris
01-19-07, 11:41 AM
...:o I have no idea how to hex edit

danlisa
01-19-07, 11:43 AM
I'm pretty sure the same variables are available in MiniTweaker.:hmm: Although, I admit I don't know what values to enter. Maybe a comparison between the different Conning/Boat types will give you an idea.

Madox58
01-19-07, 12:11 PM
Yes there are rules in there.
Can't hurt to play with the settings as a back-up is created.

Myxale
01-19-07, 12:13 PM
This mus be possible! Sometimes if i spin my mouse fast enough, i end up in a different possition on the Bridge!

I also would like to be able to see the foredeck!:hmm:

Boris
01-19-07, 01:14 PM
It would be awesome to see the bow waves crash over the foredeck as full speed, really let you know that you're moving through the water.

This is the kind of view I had in mind:

http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/6085/dangerdeeppl7.th.jpg (http://img352.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dangerdeeppl7.jpg)

I've had a look through the cameras dat but I can't find any values that could be responsible for moving the position.

Madox58
01-19-07, 01:35 PM
Changing the X, Y, and Depth settings all to 10 gave me a
GREAT BIG sub marker in free view.:o

ref
01-19-07, 02:42 PM
Maybe... let me refrase it MAYBE???, the non 3d node in the watch towers named Dummy_Turmxxx_conning_deck (ie for the type 7 conning tower type 2 Dummy_Turm7c_2_conning_deck) that defines the camera position, haven't tryed to change it, but if you move it with pack3d make a backup, I've modified once a value of one of the turms with pack3d and it inverted all nodes :-?

Ref

Ducimus
01-19-07, 03:08 PM
EDIT: ( im refering to the watchman from the POV on the conning towers)

It IS possible to move the watchman so they dont block your view, and it HAS been done, but how exactly its done i don't know. I do know that it was done with the IX/3 and VII/3 conning towers in NYGM TW 2.2. They moved a couple of the watchman so their not blocking your view, and shrunk down "Gigantor the 8th wonder of the world" on the VII/3 tower. (forward starboard watchman, you know the one.... )

How they did it, i can't say for sure, but i strongly suspect it has something to do with some editors that DTB scored from a contact at UBI. Said editor's he can't, or won't share with the rest of the community, keeping it to himself, calling them "NYGM tools". I know this much because he's bragged about it in the past.

You can *try* to use those towers in GWX, but one problem ive seen is that the RWR and mattress radar aerial collide. I think they both function like they should, but you just have a visual collesion between the two objects when viewed. Presumably GWX moved the RWR so this doesnt occur. NYGM didn't bother since they never figured out how to fix the mattress aerial to begin with.

This is one instance where i REALLY wish there was more cooperation, and is an example where ultimatly it's the end user that looses out because of the lack therof. If you were to combine NYGM's changes with GWX's changes, you'd have the perfect conning towers.

Boris
01-19-07, 03:12 PM
If anyone can do it, ref can :D:yep::up: Pleeeaaase!

ref
01-19-07, 04:09 PM
EDIT: ( im refering to the watchman from the POV on the conning towers)

It IS possible to move the watchman so they dont block your view, and it HAS been done, but how exactly its done i don't know. I do know that it was done with the IX/3 and VII/3 conning towers in NYGM TW 2.2. They moved a couple of the watchman so their not blocking your view, and shrunk down "Gigantor the 8th wonder of the world" on the VII/3 tower. (forward starboard watchman, you know the one.... )

Moving the watchmans is not a problem, the vii/3 tower I'm not aware of what you're talking, if you can grab a screen capture an post it I'l take a look, however all watch crew members are the same size, perhaps he's "standing" higher if this is the case again a simple fix, in any case ( I didn't used NYGM) can you make a simple sketch to know where the watchman needs to be placed, I'll be working with the watch towers this wekend to fix some radar problems so as I'll have my hands already dirty I can make those fixes too :D

Ref

ref
01-19-07, 04:18 PM
Just checked the turm Vii/3, one of the watchmans nodes is placed 30 or 40 cm over the deck :D , easy fix

Ref

Ducimus
01-19-07, 04:29 PM
Just checked the turm Vii/3, one of the watchmans nodes is placed 30 or 40 cm over the deck :D , easy fix

Ref

Sweet.

I stand corrected. I love that. This is one scenario where im glad to be wrong. I'd really like to see everything all ironed out.

edit:

II'll draw a sketch later i guess. What id like to see is the port and starboard forward watchman pulled back a little bit so they don't obscure your view so much.

Have to add that it was my assumption that certain things required specialized tools as ive never seen them done before except by the people who bragged about them. So again, i stand corrected, thats awesome.

Pirate
01-19-07, 05:12 PM
@ Boris

Love that screenshot :)
What U-Boat skin and water mod are you using?

Boris
01-19-07, 05:24 PM
That screenshot is not from SH3, its from a free open source subsim called Danger from the Deep.
Appart from the awesome looking water and the view from the conning tower, the game is nowhere near up to the standards of SH3, and is till in it's early stages as far as I can tell.

ref
01-19-07, 05:25 PM
Have to add that it was my assumption that certain things required specialized tools as ive never seen them done before except by the people who bragged about them. So again, i stand corrected, thats awesome.

It would be so much easier with the proper tools, a lot of things that can be corrected :hmm: , but we have to stick to the old hex editor, or made the tools by ourselves.

Ref

Madox58
01-20-07, 05:03 AM
How do you determine scale?
If X= 0.0 would X=1.0 be a 1 meter move?:doh:

ref
01-20-07, 09:48 AM
0.1 = 1 mt.

Ref

Madox58
01-20-07, 09:04 PM
Thank you Sir.