PDA

View Full Version : Question for the pros!

Pirate
01-15-07, 04:15 AM
Ok, first of all I ask this because I can't find the answer from anywhere or anyone!

So, the question is:

Why do some skins work from the tex folder while others have to be imported to the .dat files?

In other words:
Why can I change the type VII and type IX skins simply by placing the matching .tga files in the texture\tnormal\tex folder, and the type II and type XXI, I have to import the matching .tga files into the matching .dat files?

Is there a way that it can be changed, so that is not necessary to import .tga files into the dats?

Let's see if there is someone out there which can answer these ones...

Tikigod
01-15-07, 04:51 AM
you can, anything in your tex folder has priority over what is in your dat files. The only reason you would want to place them in a .dat file is to compress the size and speed the loading process. If a few files are in there it won't affect load times...but, if you had alot of modified files like what is in GWX then you would put them in dat files (which is what the GWX team did)

Pirate
01-15-07, 05:35 AM
Hello Tikigod,

What you say is beautifull! lol But does not work on the skin tga files for the type II and type XXI.

If I place tga for the type II or type XXI in the tex folder they are simply ignored :(

Pirate
01-15-07, 07:13 PM
Bump!

Filax
01-17-07, 01:56 AM
Hello,

did you find out how to fix this problem meanwhile? I try to get some textures running without touching the dat files. But it does not work.

Filax