PDA

View Full Version : Low Light Periscope View - and slide-out mods

Phoenix3000
01-12-07, 05:39 PM
Hi all,

I've been reading about mods that alter the contrast in the periscope & Uzo view for night use - what do people recommend? - Is there a 'best one to use' for GWX for example?

Also, can anyone advise on the best compass slide-out mod to use? When I had GW1.1a I did try out a couple of different ones, but have since lost them - again, is there a 'best version' to have?

I'm running SH3 1.4b, GWX + 23rd Dec Updates, SH3 Commander 2.7 and various sound and smoke mods etc.

Cheers all!

Px3000

Tikigod
01-12-07, 06:14 PM
I use Mav's mod collection overtop of GWX...its pretty much has all the extra slideout mods that weren't included with GWX. But, it also adds alot of stuff you might not like. Its worth taking a look at....he made the collection so it can be easily enabled or disabled using JSGME. Mav' Mod Collection is located here which will give you a collection of all the slideout mods: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=102317

I made a darker button fix on top of Jonz's bordinstrumente button clipping fix for the low contrast uzo and periscope for Bordinstrumente Pack (Bordinstrumente is the periscope and UZO you get with GWX) but, for some reason they didn't include the low contrast option that was added later.

So what you are looking for is the the "Low Contrast Bordinstrumente" Mod that will work on top of you GWX install to match the daylight textures. Here is my version that makes the illuminated "off" buttons darker:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=90785

Mav87th
01-13-07, 01:52 AM
Tikigod - I hope noone minds if i include that in version 3 of the mod collection.

Ducimus
01-13-07, 01:55 AM
I created a similar mod pack a bit ago.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=102761

Tikigod
01-13-07, 04:45 AM
Of course not...I like your mod collection...only thing is the red mask is on top of the slideout TDC console that comes out the left side.......is there anyway to push the slide out TDC up a layer so its on top of the red mask instead of below it?

Tikigod - I hope noone minds if i include that in version 3 of the mod collection.

Mav87th
01-15-07, 07:53 AM
Of course not...I like your mod collection...only thing is the red mask is on top of the slideout TDC console that comes out the left side.......is there anyway to push the slide out TDC up a layer so its on top of the red mask instead of below it?

Thanks, thanks a lot and there properbly is, but im WAAAY to dumb to figure that out my self.

Uber Gruber
01-15-07, 08:31 AM
I went with Ducimus's version in the end...the smaller version. Its exactly whats in NYGM but works with GWX. The diff between Mavs and Ducimus's is that Mav's has dials all around the peri and uzo view where as Ducimus/NYGM version looks a lot less cluttered. I tried both this week and, well, no offence to Mav but Ducimus/NYGM version is much cleaner in my humble oppinion.

Whilst i'm on the subject, Ducimus, I'd like to incorporate most, but not all, of the changes you made in the bigger version. I'm currently trying to do this myself by going through all the changes but i may need to PM you with respect to one or two points if that's okay with you ?

Cheers, Hans.

PS: I suppose what i'm trying to do is create an NYGM version of GWX. I'm not sure NYGM will be supported going forward as the main developers appear to be tied up elsewhere.

Phoenix3000
01-15-07, 09:33 AM
@ Uber Gruber,

Can you provide me with a link to Ducimus's download - I might take a look at that version too - sounds good!

Cheers

Px3000

Uber Gruber
01-15-07, 11:40 AM
Try this:
http://www.ducimus.net/sh3/TW_PeriTDC_For_GWX.7z

Ducimus
01-15-07, 01:21 PM
Ducimus, I'd like to incorporate most, but not all, of the changes you made in the bigger version. I'm currently trying to do this myself by going through all the changes but i may need to PM you with respect to one or two points if that's okay with you ?

Cheers, Hans.

PS: I suppose what i'm trying to do is create an NYGM version of GWX. I'm not sure NYGM will be supported going forward as the main developers appear to be tied up elsewhere.

Knock yourself out. I sort of listed the file structure in the readme so it would be easier to ID what does what, and delete the bits you don't want. Although, i could have probably listed the directory structure a bit better. Version 5 is sort of in the works now. A couple items im dropping, because i dont really see the need for it anymore (slow crush sub i think might go, or im going to redo its implentation). Also working on incresing air traffic in GWX that im going to release as a seperate mod as soon as i get it nailed down. In biscay in 43 and 44, i dont see near the amount of planes that i should have, and that's AFTER i made some changes.

@ Uber Gruber,

Can you provide me with a link to Ducimus's download - I might take a look at that version too - sounds good!

Cheers

Px3000

The link to the bigger versions in my sig. The link Uber Gruber gave is NYGM's periscope TDC, as it appeared in TW2.2 without any changes by me.

Uber Gruber
01-15-07, 06:28 PM
Its not easy, i'm using file compare to go through the files of NYGM and GWX to find differences but its slow progress. The NYGM Slideout TDC package you provided works perfectly, i'm now trying to get the Periscope, UZO and Obs views to use NYGMs better contrasted version.....i'm getting there but its oh so painful. Still, good experience for me whilst I await the net WaW patrol.

After this i'll try and get the slide out compass in the si dials mod incorporated.....don't really need the other slideouts in 6 dials as the eisting ones do their job but the compass, well, its hard to set an eact bearing....requireing plenty of clicks before its what i want. Then its onto the more harder stuff.

I can't switch to GWX until I get an NYGM feel to it because GWX is, well, a bit too easy for my liking. This is not a dig at GWZ although i'm sure i'll be pillored for saying so, its just that the tonnage people are getting with GWX in WaW is, well, off the wall!

Anyway, thanks for your help.....i'll keep you posted on results.

Ducimus
01-15-07, 06:51 PM
I agree about the tonnage. I complained about it in beta, but.. meh.

I think ill fix that in version 5 of my little mod collection. It's not that hard with the help of winzip. Zip up the entire sea directory saving path.. Sort it by file type, then delete everything in the zip file thats not a ships CFG file. Unzip ithe file to your JSGME modlet, and start editing the tonnage in CFG files.

panthercules
01-15-07, 08:11 PM
Can someone post a screenshot or two showing the difference between the stock GWX dials/screens and what these various mods (like Mavs and Ducimus) look like with GWX? I tried one of these sorts of mods (can't remember exactly which one) back with GW1.x and didn't wind up liking it all that much, so I'd really appreciate seeing how they look before I D/L and risk screwing with my GWX install to try them out.

Thanks

Ducimus
01-15-07, 08:18 PM
I included screenshots in mine. Nah nah! See the link in siggy. "few tweaks".

panthercules
01-16-07, 02:26 AM
I included screenshots in mine. Nah nah! See the link in siggy. "few tweaks".

Wow - LOL - quite a bit of work evident from reading that thread. I really like the low-contrast/dimmed UZO and scope screens - I may have to figure out how to work those into my GWX install. One thing about the dials screenshots I didn't understand though - in one scope screenshot 4 of the dials from the TDC were arrayed along the top, and in the next shot some of the other TDC dials were overlaid onto the notepad space but the 4 dials along the top weren't there. I assume that you'd need both sets of dials to be on the same screen at the same time in order to get any real benefit from this, so how/why do these screens only show one set of dials at a time? Also, does this mean that you can't use the notepad, or do these TDC dials slide away? Also, even with a dimmed/low contrast approach wouldn't having all these dials visible on the UZO or scope screen tend to mess up your night vision on these screens (or do the dials all slide away?)? Ultimately, I think that's probaby why I wound up not using the mod I tried back with GW 1.x, 'cause I need to turn down/off all the lights and remove all the GUI elements I can to see adequately at night, even after I have turned up the monitor settings to give me some sembance of visibility at night, so having these TDC dials (they were static I believe in the particuar mod I tried before) on these screens didn't really work well for me.

However, there's so much good-looking stuff buried in that thread that it'll take me a while to dig through it, so thanks for the link :)

Ducimus
01-16-07, 04:29 AM
I didn't understand though - in one scope screenshot 4 of the dials from the TDC were arrayed along the top, and in the next shot some of the other TDC dials were overlaid onto the notepad space but the 4 dials along the top weren't there. I assume that you'd need both sets of dials to be on the same screen at the same time in order to get any real benefit from this, so how/why do these screens only show one set of dials at a time?

Basically their two different components that drop down when you drag the mouse over t them.

The first slidedown group is the TDC dials. Range, AOB, bearing, speed, etc etc.

The second slidedown group is the tube selection, spread, depth, pistol, etc etc.

If you wanted to adjust one or the other, you just move the mouse over to its location and it drops down for you. So its kinda hard to grab a screenshot with both components showing at the same time. :88)

Uber Gruber
01-16-07, 07:12 AM
Ducimus is correct, teh four dials on the top slide out when you hover your mouse at the top of the UZO/PERI screens. Once you move your mouse away, they will slide away from view. The same for the TDC torp spread and depth settings, just hover your mouse over right hand side of UZO/PERI screens and out it slides..very neatly too. Move the mouse away and they slide back...no clutter at all....its just brilliant to be honest.

Ducimus made a good number of changes in the larger versions so you should start of with the smaller version for just the slideout TDC....http://www.ducimus.net/sh3/TW_PeriTDC_For_GWX.7z

Ducimus, is there anyway you could expand on the smaller version to include the lower contrast UZO/PERI screens and the "submen masks" in the micro management screen. I really like a lot of your stuff in the larger versions but not all and seperating them out is tough going mainly because i'm not sure which file changes do what at this stage.

That said, given enough time i'm sure i'll be able to sort them out once i've cut my teeth on the learning curve.

Anyway, great stuff all the same :up:

Mav87th
01-16-07, 07:46 AM
Hans did you try my mod or just look at screenshots?

Cus all the TDC dials in that one is sliders. So they slide in and out depending on what area you put the mouse. Exactly as D's mod i should think. So if they dont slide for you then i would very much like to know what other stuff you have installed so i can bugtrack that then.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=102317&page=2

What i did do differently is that i removed all the clutter so a screen shot of the Map with a slidout Compas looks like this (sheet dragged out is Torpedolaufzeiten)

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/9165/bigcompasslideer4.jpg

While the AttackScope looks like this with nothing dragged or activated.

http://img328.imageshack.us/img328/3363/attackscopecleanro0.jpg

Uber Gruber
01-16-07, 09:16 AM
Hi Mav,

The screen shots in your mod collection and Ducimus's mod collection differ in that yours has dials sliding out around the bottom and top of the peri/uzo view whereas ducimus's has only four dials sliding from the top. The rest slide out from the side.

If I remember correctly, it appears yours is based on an earlier version of the slide out TDC but please correct me if i'm wrong.

Re ths compass, I know its from the 6-dials mod but did you also use the otehr dials as well from the same mod ? I only need the compass as the rest of the dials do their job well.

Cheers, Hans.

Steppenwolf
01-16-07, 02:22 PM
Ducimus,
I really like the look of your mod. Is it compatible with 8k GWX or just 16k? I note the readme says the scene.dat is from the GWX 16k version.

If not compatible, is it just the envcolor*.dat and scene.dat that are 16k ie. Would I be able to use just the skycolor*.dat files (without the scene.dat), with the 8k version? Or is it an all or nothing deal?

Ducimus
01-16-07, 02:41 PM
If you want to make it 8K compatable, then delete the ENV folder, and the scene.dat.

ENV dats are either 8 or 16K, you can't.. or rather "shouldnt" run a 16K file with an 8K file. You can try i suppose but it might not be pretty. :88)

Steppenwolf
01-16-07, 04:37 PM
Ducimus,
I kind of figured that was the case, but hope springs eternal. Will try the rest of the mod without those files. Thanks for the information.

Mav87th
01-16-07, 06:20 PM
Ahh ok - missed each other there Hans. Yea mine slide out from the side all of them - exept a couple in the top right. Might be an older TDC mod.