PDA

View Full Version : Spend it like Beckham

Onkel Neal
01-12-07, 09:10 AM
Did I hear Beckham is going to play in the US for $250 Million? :o

fredbass
01-12-07, 10:10 AM
I just heard that on the radio this morning.

Would somebody explain to me in simple terms how 250m is a worthy investment, because I just don't see it. :roll: :88)

waste gate
01-12-07, 10:44 AM
Is he worth $250 million? At least one analyst doesn't think so. The fact is that in this country (US) football (soccer as we call it) isn't seen as having enough testosterone to ever recieve the attention it does in other nations.

There is some cause for doubt given Beckham's recent performance on the field. He made little mark on this summer's World Cup, then lost his captaincy of the English squad and eventually his starting position at Real Madrid. Yet while Beckham is aging — he is 31 — he is not over the hill, and arguably needs the lift that a solid stint in what is a growing league could give him. A show of good form on the field might get him back into the England squad in time for Euro 2008. He was reportedly bitterly disappointed to lose not only his captain's armband, but also his place in the revamped post-Germany squad.

Konovalov
01-12-07, 10:46 AM
Becks earns GBP £70,000 per day! :o :o :o :o :o :o

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,27-2543676,00.html

For that amount of money I would expect him to find a cure for cancer and aids, end world hunger, bring world peace and end wars, solve our energy and enviromental woes, and so on. :damn: :damn: :damn:

And the guy is earning this playing for a crap club in the US because he is not good enough any more to play at the top level and will never ever play for his country again. This is the sporting golden handshake if I have ever seen one.

bradclark1
01-12-07, 10:59 AM
From what I understand they are trying to use him as a billboard for American soccer. To get more peoples attention.
My guesstimation is with this makeing such huge news over here people are going to see if he is worth the bucks, hence a bigger audience and maybe interest will stick and bring more national interest to the game.
So it's kind of a large gamble for them.

waste gate
01-12-07, 11:08 AM
From what I understand they are trying to use him as a billboard for American soccer. To get more peoples attention.
My guesstimation is with this makeing such huge news over here people are going to see if he is worth the bucks, hence a bigger audience and maybe interest will stick and bring more national interest to the game.

He'll have celebrity the likes of Paris Hilton. Grab a lot of attention and do nothing.

danlisa
01-12-07, 11:12 AM
What is being 'indirectly' paid for is the Beckham's image. Not only David but Posh aswell. As I understand that they are very popular across the pond.

You're right to say he's over the hill for the UK Prem but I think he's more than adequate for the US as Football (Soccer:roll:) is still in it's infancy there.

As for being a gamble, your right. However, I think it's a good one as he is an international name/face/star etc. and as a package together they are probably one of the most branded/labelled/photographed couples in the world.

It's still a lot of money - £43 per min.:o

Skybird
01-12-07, 11:15 AM
Probably not. American sports market is tight, different leagues have nicely arranged their season time tables with each other so that almost all year is covered, there is no room for another major sports league. It is not the first time US football tries to raise it's profile by inviting celebs to it'S stadiums, think of Pele or Beckenbauer. It did not pay off back then, it will not pay off this time. and yes, the fees these athlete entertainers today get payed are beyond all reason and beyond all good and evil. Ridiculous. Give them enough to live from it, and secure (on a modest and reasonable level) the future of their family after their active career, that would be fair. Plus a bonus for winning major events and tournamemnts. Problem is today all and everything is not tuned for serving it's purpose, but to create profits for business men that oftehn have nothing substantially to do with the issue, sports in this case. When Germany became world champion the first time in Bern, players were payed I think 50 or 100 bucks, and the pride and honour of having been called into the national team. After they won the title I think they got a car, or a refrigerator. Of that scale it was, and that was all.

Camaero
01-12-07, 11:28 AM
Seems like a waste of money. American's don't care about soccer. (At least not anywhere near to the extent of the rest of yas.):doh:

Dan D
01-12-07, 11:39 AM
Did I hear Beckham is going to play in the US for $250 Million? :o

That is amazing news for the MSL, is not it? They sure have money and ambitions.

... how 250m is a worthy investment, because I just don't see it. :roll: :88)

Beckham is a pop icon with boy group factor 10 out of 10.
When you have Beckham in your team the merchandising sales begin to explode. Part of the investment is refinanced by that. Legions of young girls want to buy soccer shirts with his name on it, at least in Europe, Asia and the Middle East. Let's see what happens in America.
So soon people will be wearing LA Galaxy shirts all across the world, if things go as planned.
For sure more people will go to the stadiums who want to see/meet/touch a pop star in real life.
Even gays who traditionally dislike the soccer scene, which is very macho and homophobic are beginning to talk about soccer since Beckham. Galaxy is from Los Angeles, no?

bradclark1
01-12-07, 11:54 AM
Even gays who traditionally dislike the soccer scene, which is very macho and homophobic are beginning to talk about soccer since Beckham.
Is Beckham AC/DC?

waste gate
01-12-07, 11:57 AM
Even gays who traditionally dislike the soccer scene, which is very macho and homophobic are beginning to talk about soccer since Beckham.
Is Beckham AC/DC?

Only the sport is, and the fans are hooligans.

danlisa
01-12-07, 12:02 PM
.....and the fans are hooligans.

That's very generalised!

The majority of football supporters are not but I will concede that there is a minority who like to cause trouble. Unfortunatly you only ever hear about the trouble caused in the media.

KevinB
01-12-07, 12:02 PM
Is Beckham AC/DC?

Well he did admit wearing Posh's nickers.
Besides, he said he is not doing it for the money,:rotfl:

Onkel Neal
01-12-07, 01:43 PM
It will be interesting to see how it works out. Are the Galaxy in the same soccer league as the Houston team? I might go to a match someday. It won't take the place of NFL football but it could be a fun diversion.

mr chris
01-12-07, 01:51 PM
It will be interesting to see how it works out. Are the Galaxy in the same soccer league as the Houston team? I might go to a match someday. It won't take the place of NFL football but it could be a fun diversion.

Neal the problem i see with Football which you call soccer :lol: Is that it will never be a major sport in the USA because the is no way to have a advert break every 5 minutes the is not the stopage is play that the is in say the NFL. You only have one break and that is at half time and last for 15 minutes. The is no way for the sport to make the big bucks in the USA because the is not enough time to sell for advertising. The only way it will ever take off over there is if someone came up with an idea of how to have more advert breaks.

STEED
01-12-07, 01:57 PM
Becks earns GBP £70,000 per day! :o :o :o :o :o :o

For that amount of money I would expect him to find a cure for cancer and aids, end world hunger, bring world peace and end wars, solve our energy and enviromental woes, and so on. :damn: :damn: :damn:

Most rich people don't give a hoot and that's one of the reasons why this planet is a mess. As for the Becks they can (censored by STEED)

Onkel Neal
01-12-07, 02:01 PM
Neal the problem i see with Football which you call soccer :lol: Is that it will never be a major sport in the USA because the is no way to have a advert break every 5 minutes the is not the stopage is play that the is in say the NFL. You only have one break and that is at half time and last for 15 minutes. The is no way for the sport to make the big bucks in the USA because the is not enough time to sell for advertising. The only way it will ever take off over there is if someone came up with an idea of how to have more advert breaks.

You are probably right. I wish the NFL would decrease the number of advert breaks for their games. They have way too many.

mr chris
01-12-07, 02:04 PM

You are probably right. I wish the NFL would decrease the number of advert breaks for their games. They have way too many.

Ive just gotten used to the brakes in NFL coverage. You have plenty of time to keep your drink top up that is all i will say;)

Kapitan_Phillips
01-12-07, 07:12 PM
Its disgusting how much footballers are paid. :down:

HunterICX
01-12-07, 07:42 PM
Football?

thats no sport anymore, in the past it was a sport because it was about the competition.

now its a stupid political game...its all about the money...:stare:

Takeda Shingen
01-12-07, 07:51 PM
I wasn't aware that any MLS franchise could afford to pay out that kind of money. They certainly do not sell out the stadiums. They don't sell any merchandise. ABC is the only major network that is intersted in covering MLS, and as such, they get the rights for peanuts. From whence has this money come?

lesrae
01-12-07, 08:31 PM
I'm probably wrong ~drunk~ but I understand from the BBC* that the figures quoted include his income from advertising, endorsements etc - not his pay packet for kicking the ball around for LA Galaxy. I'm probably wrong though...

* Standard criticism for quoting the BBC (from certain members) not withstanding.

SUBMAN1
01-12-07, 09:02 PM
And you wonder why I don't bother to watch sports or support them in anyway these days? I am not paying this guys salary, nor any other sports persons crazy salary! Do you realize how many additional people have to go poor because this guy is getting paid that much? That money has to come from somewhere.

America is slowly leaving it's middle class system and is going back to the traditional few super rich, many poor type clas system that history has seen since the beginning of time. California is already there - it has both the largest percentage of millionaires and the largest percentage of poor people in the entire world that are together under one state. There is absolutely no middle class left in the entire state. Of course, the entire poor class as pointed out by Lou Dobbs on CNN is in areas purely made up by illegal aliens, so draw your own conclusions from it.

-S

diver
01-12-07, 10:19 PM
I wasn't aware that any MLS franchise could afford to pay out that kind of money. They certainly do not sell out the stadiums. They don't sell any merchandise. ABC is the only major network that is intersted in covering MLS, and as such, they get the rights for peanuts. From whence has this money come?

They can't.

The Galaxy will only be footing a tiny fraction of the bill, most of the money is from corporations who will be buying his image/endorsments, not his feet.

Onkel Neal
01-13-07, 12:29 AM
I wish he had signed with the Raiders, they could use a cool guy like Beckham.

The Munster
01-13-07, 03:30 AM
Just had a 'debate' over Beckham with my work'mates'. They claim Henrik Larsson is a better footballer and as he played for Celtic, they are obviously biased. They are both of similar age but Larsson's playing for Manchester United and Beckham has just signed for .. and no disrespect intended here .. some obscure [to us] US 'soccer' team which is the foundation for their claim.

XabbaRus
01-13-07, 03:39 AM
I think the majority of sports players are over paid. What makes a guy who in essence just kicks a ball around a field, albeit skillfully worth more than a doctor or nurse who actually do something worthy, or an engineer etc.

I like Formula 1 but I don't see why drivers should be paid so much for driving around in convoluted circles.

Pop stars the same. Robbie Williams for example, how come he was worth an £80 million record deal?

People say it is only because we maybe jeallous, I think it is obscene and really hope it comes down with a crash.

A pity as I think Becks isn't a bad guy. A little dim but a nice guy and he is a good father which I think he would be rich or poor.

Takeda Shingen
01-13-07, 06:56 AM
I wish he had signed with the Raiders, they could use a cool guy like Beckham.

The kicker could be the highest paid player on the team. Take that, NFL payscale.

Takeda Shingen
01-13-07, 07:01 AM

They can't.

The Galaxy will only be footing a tiny fraction of the bill, most of the money is from corporations who will be buying his image/endorsments, not his feet.

And that is just it: This isn't Euorpe or South America. Most of the people here that I have spoken to; and I have only spoken to sports fans about this; could care less about this acquisition. I don't think that any advertising campaign built around David Beckham is going to be nearly as successful as the companies would like, which will probably make for a very short marriage.

Onkel Neal
01-13-07, 09:13 AM
I think the majority of sports players are over paid. What makes a guy who in essence just kicks a ball around a field, albeit skillfully worth more than a doctor or nurse who actually do something worthy, or an engineer etc.

I like Formula 1 but I don't see why drivers should be paid so much for driving around in convoluted circles.

Pop stars the same. Robbie Williams for example, how come he was worth an £80 million record deal?

People say it is only because we maybe jeallous, I think it is obscene and really hope it comes down with a crash.

Well, it's pretty democratic, really. Sports are a product, put out on the market, saying "here's this sport, we want a pretty penny for it, buy it if you like." And all incomes are made by people voluntarily paying their money to see it. There's nothing compulsory about it. They make what the market will bear, I don't see why anyone would object to that.

Fish
01-13-07, 09:22 AM

So then whe'r even, baseball USA funded mony for a baseball school here in the Netherlands. :yep:

Onkel Neal
01-13-07, 10:14 AM

Some Beckham video, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF9Pahclz3Y) pretty amazing stuff :)

mr chris
01-13-07, 10:20 AM
Neal if you think that was great stuff watch this guy in action.
here are a selection of vids of him in action.
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Ronaldinho+&search=Search
He plays for barcalona is is reguarded as the best player in the world what he can do with a ball is just out of this world:yep:

Abraham
01-13-07, 11:26 AM
I don't understand why everybody, starting with Neal:Did I hear Beckham is going to play in the US for $250 Million? :otalks about the millions he'll be making.
I saw an interview yesterday night with the guy and he clearly said he is not doing it for the money, but for the sport. He'd love to play with people like Ronaldo and Roberto Carlos, he said.

Why don't we believe the guy is telling the truth on this one.
Victoria trusts him on issues that I would consider even more doubtfull!

The Munster
01-13-07, 11:51 AM
I don't understand why everybody, starting with Neal:Did I hear Beckham is going to play in the US for $250 Million? :otalks about the millions he'll be making.
I saw an interview yesterday night with the guy and he clearly said he is not doing it for the money, but for the sport. He'd love to play with people like Ronaldo and Roberto Carlos, he said.

Why don't we believe the guy is telling the truth on this one.
Victoria trusts him on issues that I would consider even more doubtfull!

If he loves playing with people like Ronaldo and Roberto Carlos then why didn't he stay at Real Madrid ? Nobody forced him to sign the LA Galaxy contract ?!

mr chris
01-13-07, 11:54 AM
Seems he might be on his way out of Real sooner rather than latter.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/6259063.stm
So who wants him on loan till the end of the season?

XabbaRus
01-13-07, 03:48 PM
As someone said though how long before we see the rest of Real in the USa.

It seems that US football (soccer) clubs have a wage cap on their players, however they are allowed one player with no wage cap, thus Beckham gets the salary he is getting.

Also Neal, though it is a democratic process do you not agree that the amount of money is obscene given the state of the world?

waste gate
01-13-07, 04:07 PM
Also Neal, though it is a democratic process do you not agree that the amount of money is obscene given the state of the world?

I don't think it has anything to do with democracy. The money Mr. Beckham will be paid has everything to do with a free market economy. MSL, and the sponsors are willing to bet their money that Mr. Beckham can bring enough prestige and fan following to make up his salary and make them a profit. The state of the world has little, if nothing, to do with how the investors use their money.

BTW I hear that Mr. Beckham enjoyed playing in Madrid so much that he wanted to play in a city with a larger spanish speaking population.........so he picked Los Angelos.

Onkel Neal
01-13-07, 04:24 PM

Oh yeah, it's a lot of money, no doubt. It's not coming out of my pocket, and people who pay his salary do it with their money, so I don't see a problem with it. I don't see what the "state of the world" has to do with it. Are you suggesting if we limited their salaries with a cap or something, people would give more to help the world?

Onkel Neal
01-13-07, 04:25 PM

I don't think it has anything to do with democracy. The money Mr. Beckham will be paid has everything to do with a free market economy. MSL, and the sponsors are willing to bet their money that Mr. Beckham can bring enough prestige and fan following to make up his salary and make them a profit.

Democratic process... people are paying their spending money of their own volition to see soccer players perform.

The state of the world has little, if nothing, to do with how the investors use their money.

I agree.

waste gate
01-13-07, 04:36 PM

I don't think it has anything to do with democracy. The money Mr. Beckham will be paid has everything to do with a free market economy. MSL, and the sponsors are willing to bet their money that Mr. Beckham can bring enough prestige and fan following to make up his salary and make them a profit.

Democratic process... people are paying their spending money of their own volition to see soccer players perform.

The state of the world has little, if nothing, to do with how the investors use their money.

I agree.

A free market is a market where the price of each item or service is arranged by the mutual consent of sellers and buyers (see supply and demand); the opposite is a controlled market, where supply and price are set by a government.

Democracy (literally "rule by the people", from the Greek δημοκρατία-demokratia demos, "people," and kratos, "rule") is a form of government.

There is a difference. You operate this forum in a free market enviroment, without government intervention. You elect representatives (actually the US is a republic)
without the government telling you who to vote for and allowing you a choice as to whom to vote for.

waste gate
01-13-07, 05:05 PM
Beckham benched in Madrid.

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/6365882?FSO1&ATT=HCP&GT1=9012

The real story is that the guys with the money are protecting their investment.

Onkel Neal
01-13-07, 06:09 PM
ok, whatever:D

XabbaRus
01-13-07, 06:17 PM
Well call me a bit of a socialist but I think it should. I think the state of the world should .

I mean you have kids starving in many parts of the world, yet hey it's seen as completely normal to pay someone £70,000 a day.

Like you say the money isn't coming out of your pocket and neither is it out of mine.

I personally think social conscience has gone out the window and I'm not talking just the U.S., I personally think the UK is worse in the greed factor.

Onkel Neal
01-13-07, 08:00 PM
I understand where you're coming from. I don't have any answers, but I'm sure you know that Beck will probably give large amounts to charity, most rich people do. In fact, rich people give more to charity than the middle class relative to income.

Overpaid athletes and celebrities get rich because average people spend their money on them, through buying movie tickets, records, $100 sneakers, and junk they endorse. I think the key lies with people making smart choices with their money, but... I don't think we can mandate what they spend it on or how much a guy can make.

Spoon 11th
01-13-07, 08:22 PM
David Beckham spends a staggering £1000 per month on his underpants.

The Real Madrid and England star buys his Calvin Klein Pro Stretch underpants from a department store in Madrid every two weeks.

A source told the Sunday Mirror newspaper:" He buys 30 pairs every time and spends between 800 and 900 Euros (£545 to £615). He never buys anything other than Calvin Klein from the Pro Stretch range."

Beckham‘s extravagance doesn't stop there- he gets through two pairs a day and throws them out after they've been worn only once!

The football star chooses from three different styles in the range: hip briefs, trunks and boxer briefs.

The source added:" He doesn't stick around very long and normally looks sheepish. We pack them up for him and he carries them off. The shop girls love having him in because they all think he's gorgeous."

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/3028/blingkz5.gif

XabbaRus
01-14-07, 02:16 PM
Probably, Beckham I think is a nice enough guy and I think the footballing academies he wants to start are his way of giving something back.

I wonder though if he'd be swinging this kind of deal if he wasn't married to Posh.

Dan D
01-14-07, 04:44 PM
Outlook:
The oil sheik of Bahrain offers 15 mio $, free board and lodging to the LA Galaxy to do some off-season games in Bahrain against some local clubs, on the condition that Beckham plays all matches. Later LA Galaxy goes on Asia tour and causes a mass hysteria amongst Asian teenagers (2 dead by accident) who want to see Beckham play training matches. That makes another 5-10 mio $ pocket money.

First, LA Galaxy shirts are seen at trendy gay music clubs in Madrid, Berlin, Petersburg and on Ibiza only. Trend scouts see a new fashion trend:
The trend of metrosexual is dead, we all are übersexual now.
NYT: “A metrosexual is defined as a heterosexual male who spends more time in the bathroom primping than his girlfriend.
An übersexual marks a return to the qualities of a "real man", but one who is "both willing to change a diaper, [play soccer] and to discuss how he feels about it [diapers/ soccer],”
Soccer is übersexual.
Madonna wears an LA galaxy shirt on her 2007 tour.
Amongst Hollywood and music business stars who attend parties arranged by the Beckham’s it becomes hip to watch LA Galaxy games and pretend to be a soccer fan.

In the end LA Galaxy shirts are a must have fashion accessory for the next season.
Think about it. You have read it here first. Buy your shirt now and be a trend setter.

+++
All this is only an intermediate step to Beckham’s Hollywood career which only needs a bit of voice and speech teaching for actors. Beckham will play the future James Bond or David Bowie’s part in the remake of “Man who fell to Earth”.

Tchocky
01-14-07, 05:18 PM

You're quite right. I think the possibility of a 0-0 draw might harm football's prospects, too.

fredbass
01-14-07, 05:38 PM
The bottom line: Will Beckham make a long term difference?

IMO, No.

Now that's just a guess of course, but there are some factors to consider.

1: There is an ever increasing number of people immigrating to the USA who enjoy soccer immensely.

and

2. There seems to be an increasing amount of kids in Americas schools who are playing soccer more than ever b4.

So anyway, ready or not, here he comes. :roll:

bookworm_020
01-14-07, 07:22 PM

Didn't they try and use Pele to do the same thing?? Lokk how successful that was!

TteFAboB
01-15-07, 10:04 PM
Bump.

At the days of Pele the "celebrity" phenomenon did not existed. Dan D summed it up. Pele couldn't have done any of that. Beckham can, he also has a "celebrity" wife to help add more fuel to the fire.

But why this obsession with the spotlight? If you guys like the spotlight so much then why are you complaining about celebs? If you don't like the spotlight then there's no reason to complain that soccer isn't going to become the #1 national sport.

Nobody gives a crap about flag-football. Half of you probably never heard of it. Yet, my cousin couldn't be happier because he is managing to make a living out of it. Not only that. All the adults and kids are happy aswell to play it. So while you all moan and whine there's a bunch of people having fun and moving the economy with the smaller sports. Some of them have managed to find their vocation in them. Some are having the time of their lives. They'll never be famous, they'll never be worth hundreds of millions. Who cares? Is it all about the money or about the time?

No, Beckham won't bring soccer to the top 3 sports in America, again, why the obsession?! Is it all only worth it if he makes it so? How can you even conceive that anything could take the place of NASCAR? :rock:

If Beckham increases soccer even by a little bit, it will already be enough to make alot of people happier.

STEED
01-19-07, 08:02 AM
http://www.private-eye.co.uk/pictures/covers/big/1176.jpg

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Konovalov
01-19-07, 08:10 AM
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Brilliant Steed.

Abraham
01-20-07, 01:38 AM
Outlook:
The oil sheik of Bahrain offers 15 mio $, free board and lodging to the LA Galaxy to do some off-season games in Bahrain against some local clubs, on the condition that Beckham plays all matches. Later LA Galaxy goes on Asia tour and causes a mass hysteria amongst Asian teenagers (2 dead by accident) who want to see Beckham play training matches. That makes another 5-10 mio $ pocket money.

First, LA Galaxy shirts are seen at trendy gay music clubs in Madrid, Berlin, Petersburg and on Ibiza only. Trend scouts see a new fashion trend:
The trend of metrosexual is dead, we all are übersexual now.
NYT: “A metrosexual is defined as a heterosexual male who spends more time in the bathroom primping than his girlfriend.
An übersexual marks a return to the qualities of a "real man", but one who is "both willing to change a diaper, [play soccer] and to discuss how he feels about it [diapers/ soccer],”
Soccer is übersexual.
Madonna wears an LA galaxy shirt on her 2007 tour.
Amongst Hollywood and music business stars who attend parties arranged by the Beckham’s it becomes hip to watch LA Galaxy games and pretend to be a soccer fan.

In the end LA Galaxy shirts are a must have fashion accessory for the next season.
Think about it. You have read it here first. Buy your shirt now and be a trend setter.

+++
All this is only an intermediate step to Beckham’s Hollywood career which only needs a bit of voice and speech teaching for actors. Beckham will play the future James Bond or David Bowie’s part in the remake of “Man who fell to Earth”.
I'm convinced by your story.
Can I order my shirt through you?
My size is XL.
I'll pay cash on delivery.

Gorduz
01-20-07, 05:57 AM
I remembered reading somewhere that there are more people playing soccer in the US. than both football and baseball. So soccer definetly has some potential.