PDA

View Full Version : GFX Update for DW.

XabbaRus
01-09-07, 02:57 PM
DW hasn't really had a GFX update at all. I have some models in various stages but I can't redo all the models that exist as was done with SCXIIC

If you remember after DW was first released I made a mod that took the SCX models and would install them into DW and I altered the databse accordingly for each relevant unit. Now I pulled the mod except for stuff I had made as it upset Thomas. Now I think this is a crying shame and Thomas has disappeared along with the rest of them. I sent a PM to Deep Six asking to use his models but no reply.

Now it has been 1 and a bit maybe 2 years??? since DW was released DWX never materialised and I think the guys here deserve some nice looking models.

I have decided to resurrect the model pack, include all the new models from SCX that replaced SCS models and send it out. I will list all credits as necessary and there will be no pretense on my part that I did all the work. Since I am stating my intensions from the outset I don't think it is unfair on the others like mbot, DeepSix who did the models and Mcarm, Ramius and Deep Six himself who did the paint jobs. Aprt from me it seems that there is no one else who was involved in SCX frequenting and posting in the DW forums. Over the past year or so I did PM Thomas about stuff but although he read the PMs he never replied.

If anyone thinks this is a bad idea please state so here and in a rational manner. I am only doing this for the good of the DW community.

goldorak
01-09-07, 03:19 PM
I think that it is an excellent idea XabbaRus.
We can't live forever in the past of Sub Command and its excellent mods (legal and one not quite legal).
In any case I find very very annoying that modders out of spite if nothing else wish that DW never had come along.
With the 1.04 patch on the horizon, the lwami mod and hopefully the graphics update you're proposing DW will kick-ass once more. :cool:

porphy
01-09-07, 03:33 PM
Good call Xabba. I can only say I support that effort fully, although I have nothing to do with the original SCX etc. DW will no doubt benefit from it. :up:

Cheers Porphy

Sea Demon
01-09-07, 03:37 PM
Well said goldorak. Like goldorak, I think you should release it as you planned, with the credits going to whoever did the model or paint. I don't think that is wrong. After all it was released to be used in the community for SC. Why not DW?

The only caveat is that if Thomasew, McArm, or anybody else writes to you and directly asks you to not use it, I would follow their wishes respectfully. What a pity that would be though.

Eagle1_Division
01-09-07, 08:41 PM
When?
and
Where?

this sounds good (:

SaxMan
01-10-07, 12:24 PM
This is great idea, especially given that those involved seem to be no longer active with respect to the boards and maybe the game too.
Now too bad we can't do the same thing with a "more driveables" mod. But SCS is protesting, even while they have no more resources to devote to the game to release an expansion pack.

goldorak
01-10-07, 12:26 PM
This is great idea, especially given that those involved seem to be no longer active with respect to the boards and maybe the game too.
Now too bad we can't do the same thing with a "more driveables" mod. But SCS is protesting, even while they have no more resources to devote to the game to release an expansion pack.

To be honest I could care less for a drive-all-platform mod than an DWX mod.
DWX = graphics update + lwami database mod + sensor realism mod.
Give me DWX and I will be a happy camper for the next several years. :D

OneShot
01-10-07, 02:28 PM
To be honest I could care less for a drive-all-platform mod than an DWX mod.
DWX = graphics update + lwami database mod + sensor realism mod.
Give me DWX and I will be a happy camper for the next several years.

I would say amen to that ... the LwAmi Mod(s) have proven to be a great thing for DW and a nice Graphics Update on top of that would be just perfect. Aside from that I couldn't care less how this mod is named (there have been and probably will be discussions about that).

LuftWolf
01-10-07, 05:30 PM
The distribution name for LWAMI 4.xx has already been set, Dangerous Water Flight II: ADvanced CAPabilities Modification, or DWF2 or ADCAP or whatever.

The persons involved with the graphics mods are free to name their contribution, but I suggest that anything that utililzes work from SCX at least recognizes the fact that the models were originally distributed as such.

I'm pretty flexible about naming any combined project, but I feel I've been pretty decent about promotion and such. :p :smug:

Cheers,
David

XabbaRus
01-10-07, 06:15 PM
All models will be identified and made clear where they came from.

I spoke to a few people and asked their opinion as to whether to go ahead and they are people I respect and they said do it.

To be honest it isn't that many models I just need to find time.

I am also in the process of working up a front end for the decompress and cmputil progs but I doubt it will be ready for release yet.

Captain Nemo
01-11-07, 05:35 AM
Sounds like an excellent idea XabbaRus as long as the appropriate people are credited and no one surfaces with an objection. I have not been playing DW lately as I think SC still has the edge over DW with the better models etc. Presumably the model pack you are proposing will only replace some of the models already in DW and not add additional models that SCX did?

BTW, if you don't mind me asking, why did Thomas and the others object to using their models in DW?

Nemo

goldorak
01-11-07, 05:41 AM
Sounds like an excellent idea XabbaRus as long as the appropriate people are credited and no one surfaces with an objection. I have not been playing DW lately as I think SC still has the edge over DW with the better models etc. Presumably the model pack you are proposing will only replace some of the models already in DW and not add additional models that SCX did?

Nemo

SC has only a graphics advantage with the famous SCX mod.
Thats it.
Once we have a graphics update for DW there will be no reason to be playing SC.

I think that the graphics update will concern not only the playable units, but most of ai units as well.
And if there are models which are not in the DW database the modders could always add a new entry in the db with the corresponding scx model. ;)

Sea Demon
01-11-07, 07:26 PM
Once we have a graphics update for DW there will be no reason to be playing SC.

Or you can do like me. Play DW for all the great stuff it has to offer. And play SC/SCXIIc/SCU for various cold war scenarios. Have both installed, play both, and have the best of all worlds. ;)

By the way, looking forward to the graphics update for DW.