PDA

View Full Version : Expert Opinion

iccalm
01-08-07, 11:17 AM
I watched a program on ihe Military Channel about Atlantic War.
A former U Boat Chief Engineer said, "The allies always set their depth charges only as deep as their submarines could dive, 80 meters. We always knew we were safe if we could reach 150 meters.

I know a lot of historical research is included in GWX. Was the Chief's advice included?

Sailor Steve
01-08-07, 12:07 PM
http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WAMBR_ASW.htm
http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WAMUS_ASW.htm

What was "always" true got a lot of u-boat crews killed.

By 1940 British depth charges were being set as deep as 300 feet. Of course a u-boat could dive deeper than that.
Note that the British Mk X* came out in 1943 and could be set as deep as 640 feet.

What was true in 1939 was no longer true in 1943. Diving deep did not help against a British Mk X* or Mk X**, or against an American Mark 8; especially not against hedgehogs.

AVGWarhawk
01-08-07, 12:45 PM
@ICCalm,

PM Kpt Lehmen on your question if this was modelled in. He can answer that for you.:up:

Kpt. Lehmann
01-08-07, 07:28 PM
The standard DC in SH3 is modelled as a "one-size-fits-all... for-all-occasions" DC.

For that reason, it can go deeper than your sub.

We are looking into adding new ASW weapons to GWX in the spring.

At any rate, to fully and accurately model the Battle of the Atlantic in SH3 would require a supercomputer that no-one can afford.

So as with the DC's... and many other elements, we have to make compromises to make the most of what is available... and at the same time offer a stiff challenge to the player. (To make ship sinkings "worth something" in game as opposed to, "Well today I sunk my 247th ship...")

Mush Martin
01-08-07, 07:31 PM
The standard DC in SH3 is modelled as a "one-size-fits-all... for-all-occasions" DC.

For that reason, it can go deeper than your sub.

We are looking into adding new ASW weapons to GWX in the spring.

At any rate, to fully and accurately model the Battle of the Atlantic in SH3 would require a supercomputer that no-one can afford.

So as with the DC's... and many other elements, we have to make compromises to make the most of what is available... and at the same time offer a stiff challenge to the player. (To make ship sinkings "worth something" in game as opposed to, "Well today I sunk my 247th ship...")
Squid maybe ?? someone wanted me to work on a loch class frigate but advised them that without squid it wouldnt be the same?????
I had been toying with the notion of trying to make one out of a three round HH but havent had any chance to look at the problem!
MM.:doh: