PDA

View Full Version : Where should I put the program files for SH3 Commander for multiple installs?

shegeek72
12-27-06, 05:33 PM
I tried getting SH3Cmdr 2.7 to run GWX and SH3Cmdr 2.6.1 to run WAC, but things got mixed up and I ended up screwing up both installs and now have to do fresh installs again. :damn:

My question is where do you put the SH3Cmdr files during install and does it make any difference?

I'd originally put SH3Cmdr 2.6.1 files in the program files\games\SilentHunterIII\extras folder for WAC.

When I installed GWX I put the SH3Cmdr 2.7 files in program files\games\SH3 Commander folder.

It seemed both SH3 Commanders were running intertwined instead of separate. Do the install paths make any difference when running multiple installs of SH3 Commander? (Yes, I read all the posts I can find on SH3Cmdr and multi-installs.)

Tikigod
12-27-06, 05:57 PM
I just did a multi-install and set it up as it says in this post:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=102071

Follow the instructions given by Melnibonian about 3 posts down.

I have two seperate installs of sh3 commander. One for my own custom modded version and one for GWX with the recommended SH3 Commander GWX config files.

Just make sure you change the target commands for both your shortcuts pointing to each sh3 commander install that he says to do in step #7. You can't run sh3 commander without matching the sh3 commander with the version you want to run with it using this command line. Otherwise it will always launch the version that was last installed (pointed to by registry) which I think is the problem you are having.

Also, make sure you are using Sh3 Commander 2.6.1 or higher. Version 2.6.1 included a fix for multiple installs.

From 2.6.1 readme:
"- Now supports save folder names other than the default "SH3" (the save folder name can be changed via TheRealPotoroo's MultiSH3)"

Also make sure you ran multiSH3.exe in each of you sh3 root directories and make sure they are pointing to a different saved folder. example: run multiSH3.exe in regular SH3 root of SH3 to "SH3". run multiSH3.exe in GWX root and name saved directory "GWX".

As far as locations of sh3 commander you can place them anywhere you want. Just make sure your command lines for each shortcut point the sh3 commander target to the installed version location as he says to do in step #7.

shegeek72
12-27-06, 09:49 PM
Also make sure you ran multiSH3.exe in each of you sh3 root directories and make sure they are pointing to a different saved folder. example: run multiSH3.exe in regular SH3 root of SH3 to "SH3". run multiSH3.exe in GWX root and name saved directory "GWX".
In the readme that comes with multiSH3: "Copy MultiSH3.exe to this new SH3 folder ("Ubisoft\TheGreyWolves" in this example). You do not need to put it into the original game folder, only into the copy."

Is it better to run it in both installs?

Tikigod
12-27-06, 10:18 PM
No, I just used that as example. SH3 is default name so you would never use it to rename SH3 to SH3 its pointless.

You just need to place the multiSH3.exe files into the directory of the install that you want to make a new save folder name for. In your case, just leave you previous install (WAC) pointing to "SH3" and place the multiSH3.exe stuff in your GWX root, run it there, and change the GWX save folder from SH3 to GWX. That way "SH3" will be your WAC saves and "GWX" will be your GWX saves.

If down the road you decide to install a 3rd SH3.....just drop another copy of multish3.exe files into you WAC install then run and rename SH3 to WAC. You could do it now if you like. All it is...is a renaming tool that tells the sh3 install to save to that folder name. Then you would let the 3rd install (whatever it is) to save to default SH3 directory.

Is it better to run it in both installs?

shegeek72
12-28-06, 03:13 AM
Got two copies reinstalled, loaded GWX to one tonight and did a quick patrol to make sure it works. So far so good. :) Next I'm going to d/l WAC 2 and install.

Nice to be back in the beautiful skies of GWX. :sunny: My frame rates are higher - was this intended in GWX?
--
http://users4.ev1.net/%7Etaragem/sh3_u100.jpg

danlisa
12-28-06, 03:20 AM
nice to be back in the beautiful skies of GWX. :sunny: My frame rates are higher - was this intended in GWX?

Absolutley, the Devs have mangaged to double the content and at the same time improve performance.:rock:

shegeek72
12-28-06, 04:44 AM
Absolutley, the Devs have mangaged to double the content and at the same time improve performance.:rock:
Bloody team are wizards! :rock::arrgh!:
--
http://tarafoundation.org/sh3_dark_gw3r.jpg