PDA

View Full Version : [MOD Teaser] World Map mod

Carotio
12-07-06, 05:12 PM
Hi there!

As I currently don't need to work much more on this mod, I hereby release a preview on the work!

It's mostly a campaign land layer mod, but I have built in the improved Helgoland mod as I did in GW-UA, plus added a lot of the 3D harbours which GW didn't offer, but as Uboat War Ace did, plus I added some myself!

This means, it will probably work with stock, GW1.0/1.1a and NYGM, but I doubt it will work with the upcoming GWX without some adjustment....

You can look on several map screenshots here:
http://carotio.cabspace.com/CarotiosModSite/Images/WorldMap/WorldMap.html

But notice, I have shown only images from 1939 and a single one from 1940. Rest assured that I have worked on all the cities and countries so that they will change side/colour according to war progress! I have used maps, books and internet pages for my research, so if I have made errors, please give me only construtive criticism, if you can guide me to an internet page, which claims other dates and such! A few cities, I only had axis conquest date, or allied conquest date, so sometimes, I have had to guess or make up a corresponding conquest date compared with the surrounding cities, where I had the precise date of conquest! So it can't be 100% accurate, but it's D4mn close! ;)

It will be available through my site and probably also UBRS!

And to all:
I have packed the mod with winrar now, and I have tried another host than RS - did I hear someone say: YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! ;)

Carotios_World_Map-1.0beta.part1.rar
http://www.mediafire.com/?8ymzmui4mgz
Carotios_World_Map-1.0beta.part2.rar
http://www.mediafire.com/?dyuh4u0ygh4

In order to test it, when giving me feedback, then please don't forget to tell me this:
PC: CPU, ram and graphics
SH3: which other mods (enabled before/after my mod!)

Instructions:
download both parts into the same library on your harddrive, and be sure that the files are named as written above!
Then you right-click part 1 file and choose unpack here using winrar!
When unpacked you move the library to the MODS folder created by JSGME and you use that program to enable it!

_Seth_
12-07-06, 05:20 PM
Carotio: D**n good work, mate!!!!!!!!!!:up:

Sailor Steve
12-07-06, 05:22 PM
Looks good! Lots of hard work there.

Carotio
12-07-06, 05:33 PM
I was just thinking: does anybody want it to test it now?

Cause, futher work will only consist of one file, which is campaign_LND.mis, which again will be a second download of 1650-2000kb, which isn't that much!
As of now, it's 257mb (the terrain files are 239mb alone...)

I could upload it to RapidShare, as I usually do, so you could have it later tonight or tomorrow, wherever in the world you are...

GT182
12-07-06, 09:06 PM
Outstanding work Carotio. :up: ~S!~

Please don't take this wrong as I know you've worked hard on this just by looking at your maps in your link. These are my thoughts only after reading Anvart's reply, as it got me thinking(and that's not always a good thing..LOL):

Are all the inland cities necessary even tho it adds more realism to the map? Great eyecandy tho.

Will all of them added, will it bog down computers that meet only the minimum requirements for SHIII? Not all players have computers with highend graphics cards, powerful CPUs, 1GB or more of RAM, or large HDDs.

If it's possible, could you also do the maps with only the coastal cities and airfields of both sides? That might help them out and they'd be able to use your map mod. Or I could be wrong... and usually am.... and it won't affect anyones computer.

For those that do have the high end computers I'm sure they'll be grabbing your map mod as fast as they can. I sure will and can test it if you'd like once I RTB from my patrol. I'm only using visual mods and no RUB, GW, NYGM or other mod of that type. And to help those that get it, could you make it compatable with the JSGME mod installer? It will help get it in easier and safer, plus easier to take out when one wishes.

Cause, futher work will only consist of one file, which is campaign_LND.mis, which again will be a second download of 1650-2000kb, which isn't that much!

Does this mean we'll see more terrain changes? I'm not sure I understand what you mean saying it's 239mb.

stabiz
12-07-06, 09:12 PM
@Carotio: :huh: Impressive!

Jmack
12-07-06, 09:35 PM
amazing work and a very good addon to the game ... but i agree that you should focus on the coastal and big river locations and ... capital cities ( either strategicly or important events in war )

this would make your work a bit easyer i think

in any case THIS IS A GREAT WORK

Reece
12-07-06, 09:45 PM
That's very impressive Carotio, a lot of hard work there,:yep: looking forward to the finished result!:D A couple of questions:
1) What size is the file (including locations.cfg), as I have 56k modem only.
2) I am running a version of HT147 no mines merged with HT146 mines (this has been done as I cannot open the standard HT147 version with SH3 editor for some reason), there will probably be a double up of cities/ports with the SCR layer so may have to delete some from LND layer, is there likely to be any probs here?
3) What version of SCR do you use?
Sorry about the questions, just preparing myself for the possable job ahead!:up:
Many thanks.

Venatore
12-07-06, 10:14 PM
That would have taken some sleepless nights. Well done mate, very impressive. :up:

Safe-Keeper
12-07-06, 10:23 PM
I was wondering where this mod had gone. Great work:up:!

Coupled with the detailed map of Norway that comes with NorOps, it's going to make for one good-looking world!

Carotio
12-08-06, 06:33 AM
My poor computer.
Whether I do not know resources will suffice at it.

Well, I don't know yet, whether it will work for all!
That's why I thought a beta test now!
Outstanding work Carotio.
Please don't take this wrong as I know you've worked hard on this just by looking at your maps in your link. These are my thoughts only after reading Anvart's reply, as it got me thinking(and that's not always a good thing..LOL):
Are all the inland cities necessary even tho it adds more realism to the map? Great eyecandy tho.
Will all of them added, will it bog down computers that meet only the minimum requirements for SHIII? Not all players have computers with highend graphics cards, powerful CPUs, 1GB or more of RAM, or large HDDs.
If it's possible, could you also do the maps with only the coastal cities and airfields of both sides? That might help them out and they'd be able to use your map mod. Or I could be wrong... and usually am.... and it won't affect anyones computer.
For those that do have the high end computers I'm sure they'll be grabbing your map mod as fast as they can. I sure will and can test it if you'd like once I RTB from my patrol. I'm only using visual mods and no RUB, GW, NYGM or other mod of that type. And to help those that get it, could you make it compatable with the JSGME mod installer? It will help get it in easier and safer, plus easier to take out when one wishes.

Does this mean we'll see more terrain changes? I'm not sure I understand what you mean saying it's 239mb.
Thanks! Inland cities necessary? No, but it's an eyecandy thing! I could make a small version, which adds costal cities only, but it's not really the same! Minimum required computer systems - well, I wouldn't bet my money on that this mod would work for them! I'm sorry, but we all know there is only one way for computer systems and software - it's upwards towards stronger computers all the time! But if users with lower systems want a "light version" with costal cities only, I can add one, if they can't run this!
It will be JSGME compatible, as I do with all my mods!
The terrain changes - well, if you run GW1.0/1.1a, you have the improvements of Scapa Flow, Panama Kanal and Kieler Kanal. This one adds a better Kieler Kanal plus a much nicer Helgoland! I didn't do these mods myself, but I think it would be ashame not to include these, since my campaign land layer work has been based on the new locations...
@Carotio: Impressive!
Thanks!
That's very impressive Carotio, a lot of hard work there, looking forward to the finished result! A couple of questions:
1) What size is the file (including locations.cfg), as I have 56k modem only.
2) I am running a version of HT147 no mines merged with HT146 mines (this has been done as I cannot open the standard HT147 version with SH3 editor for some reason), there will probably be a double up of cities/ports with the SCR layer so may have to delete some from LND layer, is there likely to be any probs here?
3) What version of SCR do you use?
Sorry about the questions, just preparing myself for the possable job ahead!
Many thanks.
1) The unpacked mod is 257mb, I have now packed with winrar, and it's 128mb (70mb+58.2mb). The locations.cfg file alone is 118kb, the campaign_LND.mis file is 1.57mb.
2) I once too had problems opening the editor, but it so long time ago that I don't recall now, what was the exact reason for it, but it was something that I was missing! Well, some campaign_SCRs have included naval bases, which I think is plain stupid! Sorry, but I do! The naval bases are supposed to be put in campaign_LND, whichever mod it is..... So if you use a mod, which SCR have included naval bases the same places as I did, you may see double entries. And I cannot say at this point, if it matters or not! Probably not, but I won't garantee it!
3) A mix: GW1.1a + GW-UA1.15 + extracted groups, units and dolphins/wolfpacks of UBWA 1.6 (I intend to rework the 1.92 version later...)
Don't be sorry for asking questions!
That would have taken some sleepless nights. Well done mate, very impressive.
I made most of it during my summer vacation -> adding the cities in right places! Then home, I did most of the historical work in august! Then I had to move, and for three months, I didn't mod or play SH3!!! Can anybody believe it!? :D I just finished some issues in november, and all I need now is to finish FarEastAsia, but it's okay I think, it can wait a while...

I was wondering where this mod had gone. Great work!
Coupled with the detailed map of Norway that comes with NorOps, it's going to make for one good-looking world!
Yeah, I know! I announced it first in the spring/beginning of summer time, and I did work on it in the summer, but as written above it was all pushed aside for a long time! I really didn't play much, only a little Civilization III
Yeah, if you don't mind, I'll look into your Norway maps, when you release it and incorporate that too! I just like to see a detailed map, which shows war progress...
********************''
And to all:
I have packed the mod with winrar now, and I have tried another host than RS - did I hear someone say: YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! ;)

Carotios_World_Map-1.0beta.part1.rar
http://www.mediafire.com/?8ymzmui4mgz
Carotios_World_Map-1.0beta.part2.rar
http://www.mediafire.com/?dyuh4u0ygh4

In order to test it, when giving me feedback, then please don't forget to tell me this:
PC: CPU, ram and graphics
SH3: which other mods (enabled before/after my mod!)

GT182
12-08-06, 09:25 AM
Downloading the files right now. ;) #1 is 58.2mb and #2 is 70mb.... from your links.

So you know, my specs are:
Intel P4 3.2GH
2GB Corsair DDR 400 RAM
XFX GF 6800XT 256mb DDR3/256bit
And.... 89 additional eyecandy mods added to straight SHIII/1.4b ;)

As I said, I'll test this as soon as I RTB Lorient.

One question... Will these affect Harbor Trafic 1.47?

mr chris
12-08-06, 10:40 AM
This is great work very very impressive:yep: :up:

Jimbuna
12-08-06, 01:09 PM
This looks really cool Carotio...great work :up:

melnibonian
12-08-06, 01:11 PM
That a ery good job:up:

I'm not too sure my PC can cope with it though:oops: :oops: :oops: (too little RAM)

igor7111
12-08-06, 06:00 PM
are there any other links for this?

the ones given above don't seem to be functioning.

thank you.

irish1958
12-08-06, 07:18 PM
Carotio,
A couple of questions and one problem.

Problem:
On DL of part 2, I get an error message when opening "CRC failed in 'Carotios_World_Map-1.0Beta\data\Terrain\Data\TerrainDataBFD'".(opened with 7Z)
When I used another program to unpack the files, it was missing. (opened with Winrar)
Can you post this file or a repaired part2?

Question:
How does one install the mod? Use jsgme and install part one and then part two? Combine the folders and install with jsgme?

Question:
How could you possibility leave Evansville IN off the Eastern USA map?

down and out
12-08-06, 07:26 PM
:hmm:
Looks too messy
Nice try though

Lightning61
12-08-06, 09:16 PM
Did any subs ever make it inland to the Great Lakes via the Seaway?
If so it would be really cool to be able to sneak into Lake Michigan and hit Navy Pier! ;)

Safe-Keeper
12-08-06, 11:01 PM
Looks too messy
Nice try thoughHeh, you should see my Norwegian map. It's not only got cities, but also tiny things like villages, districts, and so on, and every single fort and air base, identified as such by suffixes (for example, Herdla fortress and airbase is "Festnung Herdla (F) -V-").

It looks very messy when zoomed out, and makes me wish Silent Hunter III came with a feature that made certain names disappear when the map was zoomed out so and so far. However, when you zoom in, it looks downright awesome. I feel that it does so incredibly much for immersion to have all these names reminding you that you're sailing in familiar waters.

CCIP
12-08-06, 11:07 PM
Did any subs ever make it inland to the Great Lakes via the Seaway?
If so it would be really cool to be able to sneak into Lake Michigan and hit Navy Pier! ;)

Considering how many locks it'd have to pass through, that's physically impossible. Trust me on that one, I lived on the Welland Canal for many years, and you would NOT be able to sneak a U-boat through that :p

Syxx_Killer
12-08-06, 11:17 PM
Considering how many locks it'd have to pass through, that's physically impossible. Trust me on that one, I lived on the Welland Canal for many years, and you would NOT be able to sneak a U-boat through that :p

Not unless you had this! :D:D:D

http://www.boatnerd.com/pictures/images/elrsubb.jpg

CCIP
12-08-06, 11:20 PM
Vampire sub! It has no reflection! :doh:

Safe-Keeper
12-08-06, 11:59 PM
Note: Picture is a fakeNo kidding:rotfl:?

PS: Why is it that all forged photos seem to have to have a vast, unused white area for no reason whatsoever?

Corrupt_File
12-09-06, 01:35 AM

Maybe this one would... :hmm:

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/5328/viiccanadiansg4.jpg

CCIP
12-09-06, 02:05 AM
Oh fine :damn:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y122/Otohiko/furtrade.jpg

Lightning61
12-09-06, 04:03 AM
Guess I should have thought about the locks! :oops:
Sorry to get you guys all stirred up! :-j

CCIP
12-09-06, 04:04 AM
Nah, we're having our little fun with it :D

What I do hope to see is some traffic on St. Lawrence river which, yep, was indeed haunted by U-boats during the war with some success. But they wouldn't be able to get through past it. The upper part of the river has very rapid currents as well and is presently by-passed by another canal. That's ignoring the Welland Canal and its 8 locks and a 200-something-foot rise.

But that has nothing to do with this topic :p

Jimbuna
12-09-06, 04:38 AM

Maybe this one would... :hmm:

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/5328/viiccanadiansg4.jpg

:o WOW :hmm: :roll:

Carotio
12-09-06, 09:38 AM
Downloading the files right now. ;) #1 is 58.2mb and #2 is 70mb.... from your links.

So you know, my specs are:
Intel P4 3.2GH
2GB Corsair DDR 400 RAM
XFX GF 6800XT 256mb DDR3/256bit
And.... 89 additional eyecandy mods added to straight SHIII/1.4b ;)

One question... Will these affect Harbor Trafic 1.47?

Okay, you tell me, when you have tried it!
I have released it as beta, so test users must tell me, if they have problems!
But I think you should be able to use it with HT1.47 though I don't know it...

Carotio
12-09-06, 09:44 AM
are there any other links for this?
the ones given above don't seem to be functioning.
thank you.

So do you want them on RS instead?
I chose this host instead because everybody else is always complaining about RS!
And yes, I just tried to download the files myself from the links and unpack, and it does work!

You have to right-click the links and choose open in another window, there you'll then have to push a button "download file", after which your download will start!

Carotio
12-09-06, 09:51 AM
Carotio,
Problem:
On DL of part 2, I get an error message when opening "CRC failed in 'Carotios_World_Map-1.0Beta\data\Terrain\Data\TerrainDataBFD'".(opened with 7Z)
When I used another program to unpack the files, it was missing. (opened with Winrar)
Can you post this file or a repaired part2?
Question:
How does one install the mod? Use jsgme and install part one and then part two? Combine the folders and install with jsgme?
Question:
How could you possibility leave Evansville IN off the Eastern USA map?

Problem-solution: maybe redownload again! The host is freeafter all! To unpack you need winrar, both parts, then right-click first file and choose unpack here! Then both parts will be extracted into one library with sub-libraries, and this should be moved to the MODS folder created by JSGME and enabled with that!

Seriously? I didn't put my birth city on the map either just because I think it's important too... I concentrated my work on cities, which change colours during war, but added some more around the world as well, but I can't add all, it would take for ever, plus need a computer of the next century to run the game....

irish1958
12-09-06, 10:09 AM
Carotio,
Thanks for the quick response. I am redownloading now.

GT182
12-09-06, 10:15 AM
Carotio, ok I'll give it try asap. Still at sea with patrol #35. You could upload them to www.Uboot.RealSimulation.com. I'm sure Terrapin will put them on the site.

CCIP I hope you're enjoying the cold weather up there. LOL I sure don't miss it in Massena, NY. I didn't know Uboats prowled the St. Lawrence back during the war. I think they could only get to Montreal, if enven that far. Too may rapids upriver and the Seaway wasn't even thought of back then. I remember it being built back in the late 50's, and saw Eisenhower and Her Majisty at the locks in Massena when it opend in 1960. I sure don't miss the seagull poop anymore. LOL

GlobalExplorer
12-09-06, 11:40 AM
Thanks! Inland cities necessary? No, but it's an eyecandy thing! I could make a small version, which adds costal cities only, but it's not really the same! Minimum required computer systems - well, I wouldn't bet my money on that this mod would work for them! I'm sorry, but we all know there is only one way for computer systems and software - it's upwards towards stronger computers all the time! But if users with lower systems want a "light version" with costal cities only, I can add one, if they can't run this!

It's not a question of hardware, it's a question of the map being readable.

My tip: Do away with all the inland cities, you will have a fine mod. If you don't, you put unnecessary strain on the engine, and you gain nought in terms of the map being more informative.

Rule number one in technology = Keep it simple

Another request/advise would be not to touch the lat/long position for any port which was in GW/RuB/NYGM before you started this mod - and talk about new data with the makers of the most important mods - otherwise you will create problems with most mods in existence, harbour traffic etc.

It looks like a great addon!

GE

Carotio
12-09-06, 02:43 PM
Carotio, ok I'll give it try asap. Still at sea with patrol #35. You could upload them to www.Uboot.RealSimulation.com (http://www.Uboot.RealSimulation.com). I'm sure Terrapin will put them on the site.

Do not enable it, untill you're in port! But I'm sure you know that! UBRS will get it, when it becomes alpha!

Carotio
12-09-06, 02:59 PM

It's not a question of hardware, it's a question of the map being readable.

My tip: Do away with all the inland cities, you will have a fine mod. If you don't, you put unnecessary strain on the engine, and you gain nought in terms of the map being more informative.

Rule number one in technology = Keep it simple

Another request/advise would be not to touch the lat/long position for any port which was in GW/RuB/NYGM before you started this mod - and talk about new data with the makers of the most important mods - otherwise you will create problems with most mods in existence, harbour traffic etc.

It looks like a great addon!

GE

So basically you're saying, you want a light version? If many ask for it, I'll make a light version! So when this gets done, and I would call it alpha! I'll make a poll in the forum and ask for full or light! At least 5 should ask for a light version....

Personally I want the full version! Sometimes during a mission in a campaign, I would just look on Europe, Africa or Asia and see for the war progress! And that's the whole purpose of this mod! And it may be unreadable when zoomed out to the level, when the cities appear/dissapear, but zoomed in it's fine!

Yes, I know that changing some harbours could effect harbour traffic! But this mod is based on my GW-UA, where I have updated the harbour traffic and moved scripted ships as necessary. I can't be responsible if other mods like NYGM would need update on this matter, when I never used it! If NYGM mod team wants to add this mod, then fine, then they must/may adjust the harbour traffic! GW users, well you may have a few problems here and there, and thus some editor work would be necessary! But again it's not that many cities, which I have changed, in fact mostly I have added ports which weren't in GW, some I did put in myself, some were made in UBWA. They'll be empty with NYGM, RuB or GW, but I intend to put traffic in these ports with GW-UA.

However, I realise that I can never satisfy everybody! Somebody will always have a problem or two with mods. Then again, personally, I don't mind if other modders mod my mods, so if you want to, then fine!

Safe-Keeper
12-09-06, 03:39 PM
I was about to suggest a Light Version myself, actually.

However, it should also be noted that it's very easy to go into the editor and delete the cities you don't want. Open the editor, have it open the mod, click-and-drag to select the towns you don't want, hit "Delete", and save.

Biggles
12-09-06, 04:11 PM
I don't wanna pop the party now, but Luleå,Umeå and Vasa is spelled wrong on there....

GT182
12-09-06, 04:12 PM
Yeah, I agree, my vote would be for a Light Version. Everyone will want it. As said, the heavy version will be a big strain on the game engine. Besides, it'll be a lot easier to download too.

Jimbuna
12-09-06, 04:25 PM
Same here...but if it's possible for two versions then people can make a choice :up:

Carotio
12-09-06, 04:56 PM
I don't wanna pop the party now, but Luleå,Umeå and Vasa is spelled wrong on there....

It was a choice for Luleå and Umeå to choose aa instead of å, which had a strange appearence on the map, just like the danish ø, where I chose ö instead!
Vaasa in Finland is not misspelled. It is Vaasa and not Vasa in my atlas!

Biggles
12-09-06, 05:07 PM
Oh yes, I see now, it looked like "Vaosa".....

But I still don't get it: why do you write "Umeao" and Luleao", just write "Umea" and Lulea", and everyone will understand. Å,Ä and Ö is not very common in the world, so I have no problem with that, but "Umeao"? that's just wierd:lol:

Safe-Keeper
12-09-06, 05:51 PM
Because Silent Hunter III for some reason hates all foreign letters as well as all symbols other than the basic ones:damn:.

Here's hoping Silent Hunter 4 will change that.

bigboywooly
12-09-06, 05:54 PM
Because Silent Hunter III for some reason hates all foreign letters as well as all symbols other than the basic ones:damn:.

Here's hoping Silent Hunter 4 will change that.

Its not Silent Hunter that doesnt like them but more your operating system and the country you are from

The Ge umlauts for instance have no effect on my game but in others they cause CTD

Carotio
12-09-06, 06:00 PM
Oh yes, I see now, it looked like "Vaosa".....

But I still don't get it: why do you write "Umeao" and Luleao", just write "Umea" and Lulea", and everyone will understand. Å,Ä and Ö is not very common in the world, so I have no problem with that, but "Umeao"? that's just wierd:lol:

I'm 100% sure that I wrote aa and not ao!!! I just checked in text editor to be 100% sure, instead of just 99,9%, and it is aa!
Sorry, but you can't complain about real misspelling, only that I used aa instead of å, which I did as already said of appearence reasons!

Carotio
12-09-06, 06:02 PM
Its not Silent Hunter that doesnt like them but more your operating system and the country you are from

The Ge umlauts for instance have no effect on my game but in others they cause CTD

See, I didn't know that! Which countries OS systems don't like ö, ä, ü, do you know? If it's a problem, it could be solved by ö=oe, ä=ae and ü=ue, which was the old spelling way...

bigboywooly
12-09-06, 06:17 PM
Well I know for sure the Greek one CTD with umlauts

Biggles
12-09-06, 06:56 PM
Relax mate! I suppose that I think that those "a" looks like "o",but it seems that I was wrong.......btw,happy birthday biggles, on your 16th birthday.....;)

bigboywooly
12-09-06, 07:07 PM
OK we get the hint

Happy Birthday Biggles :|\\

Biggles
12-09-06, 07:22 PM
OK we get the hint

Happy Birthday Biggles :|\\

cheers:rotfl:

Jimbuna
12-10-06, 01:31 PM
:rotfl: :rotfl: Happy birthday Biggles :up: :()1:

Myxale
12-12-06, 04:03 AM
:yep:
I think this is going to be a damn good thing. consider this a instant dl. :up:

i really happy you guys have been working on.