PDA

View Full Version : Jane's 688i

Chief of the Boat
12-05-06, 07:48 PM
If anybody here gets the urge to play Jane's 688i, I found a game CD in perfect conditon, and THE BOOK. I picked it up more to 'have', or 'pass along', than to play.

So if Classic Nuke Attack 'floats your boat'..;) , gimme a post...

COB

Sub Sailor
12-10-06, 06:37 PM
COB;
You may have trouble selling the CD, NCP made this sim compatible with XP, although I ran it with just the Sonalysts DLL fix and it worked fine, but the book, I have an original and my guess is it is almost a collectors item.

Former COB,

Ron Banks MMCM(SS), USN(Ret):D

Chief of the Boat
12-10-06, 06:56 PM
Well.... 'four bits' at a yard sale didn't quite Break My Bank, anyway !!! I wanted to see what it looked like, and it ran fine on this XP machine... straight... no fiddling. I guess I don't care if it lay around here or not.. but is somebody actually WANTS one of these, I did instantly recognize that to possess THE BOOK was not too common, for older games...

bishop
12-12-06, 04:40 PM
I did instantly recognize that to possess THE BOOK was not too common, for older games...

I still have my original copy of the game and manual, plus I also have a copy of the 688i strategy guide (which was pretty lousy).

Chief of the Boat
12-12-06, 04:52 PM
Yup... I have a collection of Games/Manuals too. Likely they will lay there, awaiting The Estate Sale. What I found was that learning the Game... and seeing the 'marvel' that the creators made, was, super interesting. Jane's FA-18 with the Forward Looking Infra Red night viewing... the way it was modelled; fascinating. But to sit here and actually RUN any of the longer Missions/Patrols.... kinda wears on me. I will admit though, that I REALLY appreciated that 688i manual, after reading..trying to read... the DW manual. And I thought the Hornet Manual was difficult...

Anyway... all in great fun...

Merry Christmas

Linton
12-17-06, 07:16 PM
Does this manual resemble the one that came on the cd with the combat pack?If not is an electronic version available?

Chief of the Boat
12-17-06, 07:35 PM
Boy... I sure don't know the answer(s) to that. Both the game and the manual are 'put away'... so I am going from memory. The manual is a nice one, spiral bound, with a solid, glossy cover. I have no idea at all about how it compares with anything else.

Obviously, the Game CD is just that, in a jewel case. I did load the thing up to make sure it ran on the XP system... which it did for me, just fine... no 'compatibility mode' needed. It looks alright, although not nearly as 'sharp' as Dangerous Waters. On the other hand that Dangerous Waters 500+ page manual is a tough nut to crack, for me. In fact, I'm betting I never DO 'play' D/W... 'cuz I'm just too damned old to fight a Game and Manual that are so hard to manage. Thus... 688i. NICE manual. Chapter Five is a really good tutorial mission...

Whatever is fun, eh, Mate ??

Linton
12-19-06, 06:02 PM
What was the strategy guide?Having launched the combat pack I am surprised that there have been virtually no posts discussing these old classics!I started with SC so they are new to me.I cannot believe how poor the graphics of 3d objects are in 688i.

Chief of the Boat
12-19-06, 06:23 PM
Maybe part of the 'view' is due to the resolution being locked into...what? 640 or so ?
I run my machine on 1280 X 960.. and ...yessss.... 3D looked pretty rotten! But when I run 688i OR DW all I ever see is the 'electronics... control, etc' panels anyway. Gotta be in Der Silent Hunter to 'see' anything nice......

Linton
12-19-06, 06:31 PM
i appreciate that 688i was a generation before SC but I am surprised at just how poor the 3d is for its time.The systems panels are fine though-if I could only find the show truth on the map!

Chief of the Boat
12-19-06, 06:58 PM
For my part, I think my purchase of 688i for $.50 [American] was not a flagrant expenditure... I think I can/could afford 'ancient' 3D graphics.... Maybe I am too tolerant?

bishop
12-19-06, 10:22 PM
What was the strategy guide?

'The Official Guide to Jane's 688(I) Hunter/Killer", one of Prima Publishing's 'Secrets of the Games' series. It had a few tidbits of interesting info on the game, but most of it was walkthroughs of all the missions, and some interviews with the developers.

nikimcbee
03-04-07, 01:56 AM
I did instantly recognize that to possess THE BOOK was not too common, for older games...

I still have my original copy of the game and manual, plus I also have a copy of the 688i strategy guide (which was pretty lousy).

ditto, my manual is in great condition!:rock:

U-161
03-04-07, 06:48 AM
Is the dolphin still available for campaign winner?

U-161
05-09-07, 12:16 PM
When using passive sonar, I keep getting false TMA solutions.
I have to use active sonar for true TMA solution.
However, using active sonar is not a good idea in many situations.
So, what does sonalyst mean by TMA?

jmr
08-02-07, 09:27 PM
Having never played 688i before, does it have anything different that Dangerous Waters doesn't have?

Navigator857
08-04-07, 04:56 PM
Has anyone who is running the game on XP figured out how to adjust the video? I'm running a GeForce 7800, which is WAY over what the game required back "in the day", however, the graphics are gawdy to the point that when I try to use the active ping screen, I'm unable to see the targets as they ring out, they just blen in with the rest of the screen.

U-161
08-06-07, 07:40 AM
The game is running fine on XP with GeForce 6600.

wild bill
08-12-07, 11:08 PM
They ran out of dolphins just before Fleet Command was released!

wild bill

U-161
08-13-07, 10:33 AM
They ran out of dolphins just before Fleet Command was released!

wild bill

Sorry for that.

bigblue02_02jw
08-18-07, 11:25 AM
If anybody here gets the urge to play Jane's 688i, I found a game CD in perfect conditon, and THE BOOK. I picked it up more to 'have', or 'pass along', than to play.

So if Classic Nuke Attack 'floats your boat'..;) , gimme a post...

COB
How much?

nikimcbee
10-17-07, 04:25 PM
Less than $9 me thinks.:|\\