PDA

View Full Version : DW and 688(I)

acid1216
11-20-06, 01:13 PM
This is my first post here but I can say that I have played all of the SCS games since 688(I) came out almost 10 years ago. My question concerns the new SCS pack just released.

Does the version of 688(I) have any updated graphics or a game interface similar to Sub Command or DW? I remember playing the old 688(I) and the idea of upgrading your ship and the continuity of the campaign (such as saving weapons for future missions) was awesome. I recently reloaded the old 688 on my machine and the graphics took me back some.

If the new release does not change any of that, are there any mods that will allow me to play 688(I) in a higher resolution? Thanks.

Kapitan
11-21-06, 04:52 AM
Personaly DW is alot better than 688i its the current number 1 in terms of subsims (modern) As SH3 is number one for WW2 era.

acid1216
11-21-06, 10:14 AM
DW is the number one subsim right now, but the campaign structure lacks in my personal opinion. In 688(I) you had upgrade points which gave you incentives for completing all missions, including training. You also had continutity of the campaign on the same platform. For example, if you fired off 4 torpedoes in mission 3, then that was 4 less torpedoes you had available for mission 4, at least until the next port of call. The same goes for damage. If you lost your esm or radar antenna, then it would not be repaired until you made the next port of call.

While DW definitley has its own advantages, it lacks the campaign structure I'm talking about.