PDA

View Full Version : Approaches

jason taylor
11-17-06, 10:46 PM
How do you prefer to make an approach?

Kapitan
11-18-06, 04:14 AM
You left it a bit wide do you mean approach a ship or port or person what?

Each to his own if i approach a port i normaly do so at night and slow so if i do stick some masts out of the water they are not noticed so much.

A ship i generaly move away then run in front then wait and then follow.

jason taylor
11-18-06, 01:08 PM
By approach I mean getting your sub closer to an intended target-normally though not necessarily to set it up for a shot(the same process could be used on a recon mission).

sonar732
11-18-06, 01:55 PM
Utilize all the environmental situations to your advantage. Are there sea mounts in the area that you can move around? What is the SSP and layer depth associated with it...find the 'shadow zone'. Another thing to take into play is to look at your initial brief, read into it and think of strategy before starting the mission. Are you going against a SAG or submerged threat?

jason taylor
11-18-06, 02:52 PM
depends of course.
In Sink the Nimitz their is a good layer, and you know where the enemy is. You can crank up to 35 until you reach the point and simply wait. I found Barants sea loiter a little more interesting. There is no layer, an enemy sub to worry about and the enemy often is going to fast for me to slow down as often as I would like.

Dr.Sid
11-18-06, 06:44 PM
Also turn toward pingers to decrease ping return.

SeaQueen
11-18-06, 10:17 PM
How do you prefer to make an approach?

I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you.

Linton
11-19-06, 12:00 PM
Sea Queen I have many of my kharmic lives left so you can tell me.
Sitting under a big tanker or cargo ship works well.

sonar732
11-19-06, 03:31 PM
depends of course.
In Sink the Nimitz their is a good layer, and you know where the enemy is. You can crank up to 35 until you reach the point and simply wait. I found Barants sea loiter a little more interesting. There is no layer, an enemy sub to worry about and the enemy often is going to fast for me to slow down as often as I would like.

Set an intercept course in Barents Sea Loiter...I usually go between 270 and 225 around 15 knots since the OPFOR is going fast also.

Dr.Sid
11-20-06, 04:53 AM
Sea Queen I have many of my kharmic lives left so you can tell me.
Sitting under a big tanker or cargo ship works well.

It does not work agaisnt human with manual sonar. You can see there is too many lines on NB. It's hard to clasify, but if you expect enemy sub nearby, and found something under tanker, it's simple.
It can work against human with sonar autocrew. It wont be able to classify, maybe even marik it as 2 contact.
How does it work against AI, I can't tell. AI usually simplified methods.

Kapitan
11-20-06, 12:26 PM
Yes sitting under a tanker does work even the most skilled operators can find you but you cant control what the torpedo lock onto 9/10 if you move the submarine correctly the torpedo will hit the ship.

sonar732
11-20-06, 01:49 PM
Yes sitting under a tanker does work even the most skilled operators can find you but you cant control what the torpedo lock onto 9/10 if you move the submarine correctly the torpedo will hit the ship.

Not if your presets are set correctly.

Linton
11-20-06, 06:00 PM
It certainly worked for a russian diesel boat during the cuban crisis

sonar732
11-20-06, 07:44 PM
It certainly worked for a russian diesel boat during the cuban crisis

I don't know when the FRAZ display came into service, but I bet it was after the Cuban Missile Crisis and so the operator would have to try to hear the diesel thru the noise made by the tanker.

Kapitan
11-21-06, 04:51 AM
As sonar said if the preset is correct then the torpedo wont hit the ship it will hit you, but in DW most players put a cealing of just 2 feet so in that case it will hit the ship.

The FRAZ system was primativly here in 1959 but it hs changed so much those of you that live near long beach i urge you to go and see the foxtrot infact any russian submarine thats a museam.

SeaQueen
11-21-06, 06:44 AM
As sonar said if the preset is correct then the torpedo wont hit the ship it will hit you, but in DW most players put a cealing of just 2 feet so in that case it will hit the ship.

It's interesting to me how little thought most people seem to put into their presets.

Kapitan
11-21-06, 06:58 AM
Because i play using a 10 minuet weapons hold rule i can figure out what im up against and set each individual weapon to a set target ie M01 will have a preset of 8 feet because its a surface ship and M02 will have a preset of 02 feet because its a submarine.

Anyone use anything diffrent?

sonar732
11-21-06, 07:03 AM
The FRAZ system was primativly here in 1959 but it hs changed so much those of you that live near long beach i urge you to go and see the foxtrot infact any russian submarine thats a museam.

I'm going to check on some 'contacts' on when the first FRAZ display showed up in the U.S. Navy. Granted, it's probably before his time also.:hmm:

Kapitan
11-21-06, 07:10 AM
The FRAZ as we know it i think it came in when the victors came out in not 100% sure but they used a similar But less sophisticated version which for today would be very primative.

Dr.Sid
11-21-06, 09:58 AM
It's interesting to me how little thought most people seem to put into their presets.
Well .. most of the time you don't shoot subs under ship. Autocrew will do the job in 80%, even more in singleplayer.

SeaQueen
11-22-06, 12:48 AM
Well .. most of the time you don't shoot subs under ship. Autocrew will do the job in 80%, even more in singleplayer.

True, but shooting subs underneath ships isn't the only thing one can do with it. Henson pointed out how you can use them for safety. My big cheeseball trick is shooting them so that at least one torpedo homes on anything out to the first convergence zone. What to do with presets is a good little thing to think about while using public transportation.

Dr.Sid
11-22-06, 01:18 PM
Yes .. now that you mention it, it could save some fishermen I killed :rotfl:
Well, I usually use scope to rule surfaces out, but sometimes you can't. And to wait for 4 NB lines, if there is a chance that target is sub, is not good idea. So sometimes I shoot on what I think is sub, even if I know it could be fishing boat. On the other hand, it can also be surfaced sub, and then safety would mean lost shot.

Wire controls again helps a lot here. Submarine will evade. Even the dumbest oldest AI submarine will detect TIW and will drop some CM (very audible) and flank away (very audible too). Fishing boat will just sit there, so you can get a hunch a disarm the torpedo. Human opponent can play dumb here, but that could really show dumb.

On the other hand .. fishing boats are there to catch fish, right ? :|\\

SeaQueen
11-23-06, 09:50 AM
On the other hand .. fishing boats are there to catch fish, right ? :|\\

Not necessarily. Sometimes I like to scatter a few around to act as spotters for shore based ASCM. The range of the missiles is longer than their radar's range, so to make full use of their range, you need to have some sort of reconnaissance platform. Fishing boats, trawlers and freighters are good platforms for this.

The Soviets had their spy trawlers.
Middle eastern countries use dhows for gathering intelligence.

Using "civilian" vessles to scout out the enemy is a common tactic globally.

Dr.Sid
11-23-06, 02:38 PM
I actually ment 'catch fish' as 'being torpedoed' .. and you gave me one more reason to that :88)

LoBlo
11-26-06, 06:16 PM
For me the approach is the easy part. I usually do a good sensor sweep and then set a moderate SOA (8-12 knots in the LA/SW, 7knots in the Ak) to a preferred attack location, faster if the target is farther off. Keep a tube flooded and on snapshot for that pesky SSK that may be sitting in your path (you will probably detect each other at the same time).

The hard decisions are *after* the first attack salvo... do you run and not look back, or sprint quickly and then slow to linger and mop up any missed shots and damaged vessels? I usually opt for the latter, unless I detect a ASW helo bearing on my datum, then I head for the hills because once those guys are on your tail its slim chance to shake them.