PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in Ice

SeaQueen
11-12-06, 03:32 PM
Does anyone have any ideas on how to keep surface vessels from getting mired in ice? I tried setting Pathfinding On so it would hopefully detect it and drive around it, but apparently Pathfinding doesn't apply to floe ice.

Kapitan
11-13-06, 10:44 AM
In a submarine just submerge eventualy the wieght will pull it down, if your talking about FFG-7 then once the ice becomes too thick the only way you can get back out is either with an ice breaker or reversing, this in itself is tricky seeing as the ice can wrap around the back end very quick and then your jammed in tight.

pack ice try to avoid it but you can smash it just hit it head on dont hit it using the sides.

Pisces
11-13-06, 06:20 PM
I'm thinking SeaQueen is looking for a game solution. Your's sound a bit too real-life.

SeaQueen
11-13-06, 09:48 PM
I'm thinking SeaQueen is looking for a game solution. Your's sound a bit too real-life.

Right on.

suBB
11-13-06, 10:34 PM
Hey SQ,

I could use a change of pace... so... grab your favorite Johnny Cash album, relax and unwind, and send me a copy of what you are trying to do and I’ll have a peep. :up:

Subblif3@yahoo.com

Dr.Sid
11-14-06, 04:29 AM
I guess surface platforms are just useless in areas where some ice can occur.
I haven't seen any mission which does it (correctly) and AFAIK there is nothing stronger than pathfind.
Just make some other mission.

suBB
11-14-06, 08:24 AM
I was thinking along the lines of using collision avoidance and range. For example if this patch of ice is stationary on the map, place shrimp or some stationary object something under it, then set collision and range conditions in doctrine and script

Fish
11-14-06, 10:07 AM

Right on.

SQ, waypoint around the icefields, you can see them when you use Shift-I IRC in Mission Editor.

Kapitan
11-14-06, 03:00 PM
My "real life" so you put it is exactly whats in game ive done numerous work with under ice ops i have spent 80% of the last gawd knows how long to put it blunt since sub command came out ive spent 80% of my time under the ice so im in a good position to know whats what there.

SeaQueen
11-14-06, 09:50 PM
My "real life" so you put it is exactly whats in game ive done numerous work with under ice ops i have spent 80% of the last gawd knows how long to put it blunt since sub command came out ive spent 80% of my time under the ice so im in a good position to know whats what there.

I was thinking more in terms of the AI.

suBB
11-15-06, 12:09 AM
I was thinking more in terms of the AI.
are you assigning waypoints to AI, or using scripts to set course, speed, etc?

I'm currenting not using waypoints on my map for any platform, and that's 5 platforms, and AI(in absense of human players) will carry out tasking and all that good stuff.

SeaQueen
11-15-06, 07:27 AM
are you assigning waypoints to AI, or using scripts to set course, speed, etc?

Yes. I set his tactic to "Barrier," since that's what he's supposed to be doing. :)

Pisces
11-15-06, 11:02 AM
Kapitan, I don't doubt your extensive under-ice efforts. But what made it sound so 'real life' to me was you mentioning the use of an icebreaker. Which I believe, 'calling one in' isn't a DW feature to AI or the player. And I seriously doubted the modelling of 'growing ice' was incorporated in DW. But I think moving ice was allready there in Subcommand. So that may have been it. Since I know you have much more experience with this than I have, I was carefull with my words and wrote 'it seems'. No disrespect.

Kapitan
11-15-06, 05:19 PM
Ice breaker = Kirov ive seen them break into 27% ice something ive never seen a burke can do.

Also yes the ice does grow back surface under ice and you can see.

SeaQueen
11-15-06, 07:59 PM
Kapitan, I don't doubt your extensive under-ice efforts. But what made it sound so 'real life' to me was you mentioning the use of an icebreaker.

To Kapitan, DW is real life, okay? Don't tell him otherwise, he gets violent when you do. :doh:

Kapitan
11-16-06, 12:09 PM
LOOL yeah shush noob or il chin ya :D

SeaQueen
11-16-06, 07:18 PM
LOOL yeah shush noob or il chin ya :D

See! He's the poster child for video games inducing violent behavior! :D

Kapitan
11-17-06, 10:56 AM
:smug: LOL nah im not violent well not much anyway