PDA

View Full Version : modding the sh3.sdl file

Laffertytig
10-29-06, 05:31 AM
how come whenever i mod this file using mini tweaker i get a windows error message when i close SH3?

all im doin is changin the propeller sound distances

Reece
10-29-06, 08:42 AM
That's a wierd one, never experienced it!:-? Maybe your sound card or possably if your doing the mods during a patrol may cause it, I always do mods (including tweaks to sh3.sdl mixer file) then start a new patrol.:) I assume it only happens the first exit after tweaking, your not tweaking the file while SH3 is running are you?

Laffertytig
10-29-06, 11:32 AM
think the problem was i wasnt rollin back sub commander b4 modding it.
but try as i might i cant i cant hear the dd's propeller any further than 300 metres. ideally id like to hear them from around 600 metres so if anyone else could send me their Sh3.sdl file that would be great

Reece
10-30-06, 06:32 AM
Did you download & try out my SFX pack it beefs up all the sounds & some that are not mixed correctly, yes this version of my sh3.sdl file has quite a few tweaks done to it!:D Readme supplied.

Redwine
10-30-06, 06:48 AM
how come whenever i mod this file using mini tweaker i get a windows error message when i close SH3?

all im doin is changin the propeller sound distances

Hi.... Laffertytig.

I know what are you doing... you can use my file, but it has the Depth Charge FX mod included.

If you dont want to use the Depth Charge FX mod.... you can take my present file, then look into the manual editing guide, and then roll back the changes made for Depth Charge FX mod... and let only the changes for propellers...

Take in consideration, the mod Depth Charge FX DO NOT has included the propellers sounds modifications....

Take in consideration, to experience the good efect i described in the old topic, you need to add the new propelles sounds collection i picked-up from SH2....

Take in consideration... SH3 do not works fine in 4.1, 5.1, 6.1, 7.1 audio channels.
Because all sounds at your side or at your back experience a very hard reduction in volume.

If you want to experience the propellers sounds well, just roll back your audio channels to 2.1 Stereo.

I remember you have all the files in your hands... correct ?

If not.... what of them you need ?

:up:

Reece
10-30-06, 09:02 AM
Hi Red, even I'm interested in the DC FX mod, can you point to DL please?:D
Thanks.

Laffertytig
10-30-06, 12:09 PM
if anyone can me me how to set my audio channels to 2.1 that would be great. its a new asrock motherboard i have with onboard sound but i cant see anywhere in the configurator to change this. when i open it it says 7.1 virtual speaker shift , dunno if this is the audio channel???

yeah redwine if u could post all the sound files and sdl file u use that would be great as well

Redwine
10-30-06, 08:15 PM
Thanks.

Rapidsh#t is colapsed now.... i will up;oad them for you as soon as posible.....

if anyone can me me how to set my audio channels to 2.1 that would be great. its a new asrock motherboard i have with onboard sound but i cant see anywhere in the configurator to change this. when i open it it says 7.1 virtual speaker shift , dunno if this is the audio channel???

yeah redwine if u could post all the sound files and sdl file u use that would be great as well

About the files read above...

About to change 7.1 into 2.1....

May be you need to install some Audio Control Panel Utility from your motherboard installation CD.... did you checked into that CD ?

Any way, if you can, i recommend to you to install a hardaware accelerated PCI audio card, i weas having big troubles with my FPS, it was caused by my onboard SoundMax audio card, i buyed a new sound card and my FPS was launched up....

Reece
10-30-06, 08:24 PM
I would like to know how to change to different audio channel versions just for curiosity!:D I have onboard realtek AC97 and that has 7.1 audio channel, I have no problems! however I don't run the mixer as I find this uses too much resources and does nothing really for sound excepting to add echo, wide, etc. Do a search for msconfig.exe and drag a shortcut to desktop, run and goto startup tab, the list can be quite large, just look for your sound manager & untick it, the apply - ok - restart. You may know all of this but you can untick any device here if you think the device is "SUS" or don't want, also applies to 'Services' Tab (take a little care here with microsoft devices).:up:
Hope this helps.

HEY, stop posting while I'm still editing my post Red!:damn: :rotfl:
By the way I'ts at Rapidupload, not rapidshare, out of curiosity Red, are you using the new card or are you back to using your onboard Soundmax?

Redwine
10-30-06, 09:56 PM
I would like to know how to change to different audio channel versions just for curiosity!:D

I have 3 ways... to choice the audio channels in use...

Here you can see in the 3 sites the 4.1 settings of my kid....

1]
From Windows Control Panel

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/4207/20061030233506id1.th.jpg (http://img81.imageshack.us/my.php?image=20061030233506id1.jpg)

2]
From Audio Card Control Panel....

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/7585/20061030233846dj4.th.jpg (http://img182.imageshack.us/my.php?image=20061030233846dj4.jpg)

3]
And from the Audo Card Manage Program

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/3581/20061030234709ko7.th.jpg (http://img153.imageshack.us/my.php?image=20061030234709ko7.jpg)

[quote=Reece]
Do a search for msconfig.exe and drag a shortcut to desktop, run and goto startup tab, the list can be quite large, just look for your sound manager & untick it, the apply - ok - restart.

Yes...Rece, i have a shortcut for it, and always i install some program i go there to disable any undesired program to avoid to load at start up.

You may know all of this but you can untick any device here if you think the device is "SUS" or don't want, also applies to 'Services' Tab (take a little care here with microsoft devices).:up:

Yes... i use Security Task Manager for it, and to check present proccess and disable them, i reccomend it, you have a Goggle button in the program, where you can access to a web page with a description of the proccess and with many user comments.

I recommend it...

By the way I'ts at Rapidupload, not rapidshare, out of curiosity Red, are you using the new card or are you back to using your onboard Soundmax?

No... i am using the new card, it impoves dramatically my FPS into the "bottle neck" moments....

:up:

Reece
10-30-06, 10:31 PM
The msconfig.exe section I posted is directed at Laffertytig!:D
I don't have any way of changing my audio channel version, tried:
1) Sound properties in Device manager, but nothing.
2) Soundman (Realtek) in device manager & nothing there.
3) Sound properties in "Sounds and Audio Devices" from Control panel.
Maybe your sound card Red allows this, but not my onboard sound, only the motherboard manual & the printing on box is there any mention of mine having audio channel version 7.1.:-? could be the same for Laffertytig!
Good to hear your card is going well, you had a few problems when first installed & a little worrying as the card was quite expensive!:up:
Cheers.

Laffertytig
10-31-06, 03:58 AM
there is nothing in the motherboard sound config panel to change this.
the only thing i can see that is similar is under control panel, sound and audio devices, speaker settings, advanced.

i have it set at desktop stereo speakersbut there are options for 5.1 surround sound speakers, 7.1 home theatre speakers and 7.1 wide config speakers.

this wouldnt be audio channels would it?

Redwine
10-31-06, 06:06 AM
The msconfig.exe section I posted is directed at Laffertytig!:D
I don't have any way of changing my audio channel version, tried:
1) Sound properties in Device manager, but nothing.
2) Soundman (Realtek) in device manager & nothing there.
3) Sound properties in "Sounds and Audio Devices" from Control panel.
Maybe your sound card Red allows this, but not my onboard sound, only the motherboard manual & the printing on box is there any mention of mine having audio channel version 7.1.:-? could be the same for Laffertytig!

Cheers.

If i not remember bad... when i had in use my onboard Soundmax it allow thes changes via the option 3 you wrote.

Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Volume Tab > Advanced Properties > Speakers > Speakers Configuration...
Sad if you cant to do it.... SH3 sounds better in 2.1 audio channels in my opinion... upper complex configurations as 4.1 or 5.1 or 7.1 meke the sounds at side or at back of your sight to near to disaperas....

Good to hear your card is going well, you had a few problems when first installed & a little worrying as the card was quite expensive!:up:
Right, prior to buy the card i was not sure if this card will be the solution, so i dont buyed the more expensive, it was the Fapal1ty one, wich has its OWN RAM MEMORY.... but was more than double price. XtremeMusic was 99 Euros and the Fatal1ty was 260 Euros.
I buyed the most cheap of the last line, the XtremeMusic... i was a stupid, it works wonderful and near to solve my problems, may be the fatal1ty was a good option too.
But some friends tells me the FPS diference between these two cards is not too much in percent ..... may be not good to expend from 99 to 260 only to have a 5% or 8% more FPS.

there is nothing in the motherboard sound config panel to change this.
the only thing i can see that is similar is under control panel, sound and audio devices, speaker settings, advanced.

i have it set at desktop stereo speakersbut there are options for 5.1 surround sound speakers, 7.1 home theatre speakers and 7.1 wide config speakers.

this wouldnt be audio channels would it?

Yes thats the way.... check you have the set at Desktop Stereo Speakers prior to run SH3.

Redwine
10-31-06, 06:17 AM
Thanks.

Here you have.... remember the sh3.sdl here do not contains the modifications for propellers sounds....

I highly recommend you to make all the change sinto particles.dat and sh3.sdl files Manually...

Back-up ypur files at first.... :up:

http://www.badongo.com/file/1635034

Redwine
10-31-06, 07:23 AM
Here a little collection of sounds i add over the Incognito Sound Pack... it contains the SH2 propellers sounds and others sounds from many modders.

Incognito Sound Pack is abailable at Terrapin site...

http://www.badongo.com/file/1635259

Here the sh3.sdl file i am using.... but it contains the modifications for Depth Charge FX mod....

http://www.badongo.com/file/1635318

Reece
11-02-06, 09:49 AM
Hi Red, it's 1.15am here so I think I will hit the sack!!:D Just to let you know I have yet to download the files, I have been locked out of Subsim for a few days as I mentioned the word "NODVD" and ofcource it's Taboo here (I shake a little just writing that word with no context even) so I was thrown in the brig:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=100370
I mention this so that you know why I haven't responded, will download the files tomorrow.
Thanks.:up:

Redwine
11-02-06, 05:17 PM
No problem Reece.... but i have sad news....

I loss this effect. May be my @##$$ new sound card, but, i can hear the propellers at very high volume, but only between 300m only.... not so far as before. :damn:

I am touching the sh3.sdl file... the sound files, the trillion settings of the new sound card.... and nothing. :damn:

I was very happy with that effect... but i cant reproduce it any more :88) :dead:

Reece
11-05-06, 11:35 PM
Thanks Red, I have the Incognito Sound pack so I'll give that a miss.:yep:
I checked out what you had for the Destroyer prop settings in sh3.sdl & will try a few settings myself, I think the MinRadius may have to go higher not lower, I think this value is "how close to hear the sound" therefore if I put 300 here then the sound can be heard up to 300m away as minimum! Don't quote me here But I will give this a try, I'm not sure if the hyd sound should be altered though, more tests I suppose!:D Will post my findings later.
Cheers.

Redwine
11-06-06, 10:03 AM
Thanks Red, I have the Incognito Sound pack so I'll give that a miss.:yep:
I checked out what you had for the Destroyer prop settings in sh3.sdl & will try a few settings myself, I think the MinRadius may have to go higher not lower, I think this value is "how close to hear the sound" therefore if I put 300 here then the sound can be heard up to 300m away as minimum! Don't quote me here But I will give this a try, I'm not sure if the hyd sound should be altered though, more tests I suppose!:D Will post my findings later.
Cheers.

Please try and comment.... i made test increasing another sounds, but they "covers" the props... i preffers the props high...

Laffertytig
11-06-06, 11:57 AM
thats an interesting theory as ive never altered the min radius, only the max.

let me know how u get on

Reece
11-06-06, 07:47 PM
I have tested the destroyer prop sound MinRadius set to 300 & you can hear the prop for around 300 meters, so I put to 95 & goes well, when crash diving & destroyer goes overhead (your around 50 meters down) you can goto the control room & hear the destroyers prop sound clearly & directonal as well!:D However it is a very distinct between full sound & no sound, there is not much in the way of fade!:-? I'm not sure if altering the following would effect this:
1) DopplerFactor.
2) Category
3) VolumeVar
I would suspect the latter however nearly all sounds set to 0, the same with the DopplerFactor & Category set to 4. Please test & let me know what you think!:D

Redwine
11-06-06, 09:03 PM
I have tested the destroyer prop sound MinRadius set to 300 & you can hear the prop for around 300 meters, so I put to 95 & goes well, when crash diving & destroyer goes overhead (your around 50 meters down) you can goto the control room & hear the destroyers prop sound clearly & directonal as well!:D However it is a very distinct between full sound & no sound, there is not much in the way of fade!:-? I'm not sure if altering the following would effect this:
1) DopplerFactor.
2) Category
3) VolumeVar
I would suspect the latter however nearly all sounds set to 0, the same with the DopplerFactor & Category set to 4. Please test & let me know what you think!:D

I was testing today increasing the MinRadius, suceless, the props are very well audible, but not so far, i still hearing them only between 300m radius.

As you, i note the abrupt change between sound and no sound... and was tinking in the Doppler Factor and VolumeVar to have a good aproach/incoming and outgoing sound feeling...., but had not time to test yet.

Please comment any advance.... :up:

Reece
11-06-06, 09:40 PM
A "Bump" to that Red, It takes so long to get a game up, I usually use "Happy Times" go a way then wave to the enemy, they get quite upset & come after me pronto, then, to make sure there on track, I don't go silent, I go to flank speed & yes they find me very quickly, I then stop & wait for destroyer to go over & listen for props, & DC's before getting blown out of the water!!:rotfl:

Laffertytig
11-07-06, 04:34 AM
i recommend using the barham mission as u can have 6 destroyers all over u in a couple of mins.

reece said "I have tested the destroyer prop sound MinRadius set to 300 & you can hear the prop for around 300 meters, so I put to 95 & goes well, when crash diving & destroyer goes overhead (your around 50 meters down)"

maybe im mistaking your point but we're not having a prob hearing props under 300 metres, the prob is we cant hear anything over 300 metres.

Reece
11-07-06, 04:58 AM
Oh!! well I couldn't hear them before unless right next to the destroyer!:-?
But that changes things a little doesn't it!:cool:

i can hear the propellers at very high volume, but only between 300m only.... not so far as before.

Silly Me, back to the old drawing board! but who wants to hear the props over 300 meters away? Unless you mean the hydro sound on the hydrophones?:) I will see what I can do, maybe Red can clarify things here?:up:

Redwine
11-07-06, 06:56 AM
Oh!! well I couldn't hear them before unless right next to the destroyer!:-?
But that changes things a little doesn't it!:cool:

i can hear the propellers at very high volume, but only between 300m only.... not so far as before.

Silly Me, back to the old drawing board! but who wants to hear the props over 300 meters away? Unless you mean the hydro sound on the hydrophones?:) I will see what I can do, maybe Red can clarify things here?:up:

Hi both, Laffertytig and Reece... the two mission you mentioned are same i use, plus the U-505B, a remake of the stock U-505 with the submarine position changed.

Reece, no... i am talking about the sound of the propellers into the control room and at periscope stations.

May be 300m is enought, but if i not remember bad, i was able to hear them much more far before, ut now i cant reproduce it.

Any way, the propellers sound pack i posted here, and i extracted from SH2, in adition to somo volume anda range chages is a good improvement on the stock game...

Any way i will stil attempting to recoiver that behaviour, i remember the props was audible more far, and there was not the behaviour you mentioned, a so defined sound/no sound point, i remember a big passenger start with a low volume to finish with a extremely noise of engiunes and props.

Comment any news please... :up:

Reece
11-07-06, 07:35 PM
I'll fiddle around a bit more I noticed that "Category = 128" for most & external sounds like wind then Category would be set to 1 (binary '0000 0001'), probably cant change this as 128 decimal is 80 Hex & probably setting the binary '1000 0000' switch therefore not actually a variable number!:yep:
Funny you mentioned the mission U-505 as I am having trouble running this mission, all I get is a CTD unless I change the Campaign_SCR.mis back to standard, have tried with HT146, HT147, Tonnage War, & War Ace, all do the same, you mentioned U-505B, is that a fix for this if so could you please point me to a download or email to me please?:D
Thanks.

Redwine
11-08-06, 08:46 AM
I'll fiddle around a bit more I noticed that "Category = 128" for most & external sounds like wind then Category would be set to 1 (binary '0000 0001'), probably cant change this as 128 decimal is 80 Hex & probably setting the binary '1000 0000' switch therefore not actually a variable number!:yep:
Funny you mentioned the mission U-505 as I am having trouble running this mission, all I get is a CTD unless I change the Campaign_SCR.mis back to standard, have tried with HT146, HT147, Tonnage War, & War Ace, all do the same, you mentioned U-505B, is that a fix for this if so could you please point me to a download or email to me please?:D
Thanks.

No it is just the same mission but with the submarine position changed, so you can preparea stealth attack. Not made by me, i do not remember where i take it, may be when lot of us was tweaking the DDs detection parameters.

I had no problems before with this mission with any megamod....

http://rapidshare.com/files/2496237/U505_B.zip.html (http://rapidshare.com/files/2496237/U505_B.zip.html)

Reece
11-08-06, 09:41 AM
Got that, thanks, I'm not sure what's going on as Campaigns work, all missions except U-505 & no multiplay games on LAN at all!:-?
Somewhere along the way I think I crossed versions of Campaign files, I may have the wrong RND/SCR pair! Quite a pain as I have been modding the 3 mis files on & off for around 2 months! Oh well, keeps me out of mischief!:rotfl:
Cheers.

garferi
03-26-07, 02:06 PM
Hi!
Which program can edit correctly sh3.sdl???
My Notepad++ couldn't :damn:
Please somebody help meee! I need an editor program...
Very THX!