PDA

View Full Version : Possible Eye Candy Mod

U-snafu
10-28-06, 04:43 PM
Airport Mod (work in progress)
http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/6316/sh3img91sv2.jpg

I wanted to make a small mod where I could take one of the sh3 aircraft and be able to script it with placing it on the ground as a parked airplane (sort of like Cb's Float plane ). I used the stuka because it already has wheels on it so it would mesh alright with the ground. I tried the method I used for the subpen AA guns. I copied it to the land folder, typed it as "400" and set it's min and max speed as 0.000 in the CFG file. It showed as available in the editor land roster and it automaticly set at the land height where I scripted it. My results in Game:
http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/7637/sh3img27102006jb4.jpg

:rotfl:

Tried a somewhat different approach--I copied the Stuka data air folder "ADB_JU87Stuka" related roster cfg file and TNormal & TLowres files----renamed all the required files to "LDB_JU87Stuka" placed it back into the air folder,Changed type to "305-helecopter" and changed it's min/max speed to 0.000. It showed as available in the editor as a helicopter along with it's stock Dive bomber type. I scripted it in and placed it at 4.5 meters (above the land hieght of 4 meters)so it would "hover" just above the ground and not get destroyed from the ground contact. My results in game:--nothing,nada, did not show.:nope: Obviously it would not be that simple.

Then I found the threads on cloning and pack3d. I figure if i can clone the stuka properly, I could tweak the clone's files to get rid of it's damage properties so I can place it as a ground unit and not affect the default "air stuka" in game. I downloaded all 5 versions of pack3d, timetraveler's tweaker progs, and wings 3d. Gonna be a little bit getting accustomed to the progs but answers to a couple of questions could help me out.
1.) what version of pack 3d is the best to use?
2.) if and after I get it to work--is there a way to make a terrain feature like a
airstrip(even possibly just a dirt strip using the terrain repacker)?
3.) Is this idea even possible or am I wishful thinking and way off base?
4.) Has this "parked aircraft" already been done? If so I can stop this insane compulsion to try this even though you will only be able to see it briefly in game as you sail by the coast or port.

bigboywooly
10-28-06, 04:56 PM
Try V2 of pack3d
Also try just deleting the Zon file from the aircrafts folder as well

Like the Ideas though
Did you have a look at the make up of CB aircraft ?
May give you a few folder ideas

U-snafu
10-28-06, 05:05 PM
Thks for the Zon file idea, Going to try that with my fist method----still think I'm gonna have to clone so I can get rid of the moving Propeller and engine noise--or does the Zon file cover that along with the damage?

If I remember correctly-I think Cb's plane was a cloned pt boat and reskinned and changed in pack3d-although not sure. That could be a possible route by cloning and reskinning a land unit if that can be done.

bigboywooly
10-28-06, 05:12 PM
Yeah just D\L CBs mod
Its a good idea but a bit unusable these days with generic type=0 patrol boats
Be a bit odd to see a stationary airplane in the middle of the sea :rotfl:

Maybe the best thing would be to redesignate it as a land unit\rename the bits you need then clone

Try it that way

U-snafu
10-28-06, 05:20 PM
Gonna try --thks for the idea--more back later

U-snafu
10-31-06, 02:55 PM
Little thick headed on the cloning:

Copied and renamed "ADB_JU87Stuka" to "ADB_LandJU87Stuka" in the air folder along w/all It's subfolders. Changed it's CFG file from "DBJU87Stuka" to "DBLandJU87Stuka" and copied and remaned the same for the roster CFG file. Then added line "DBLandJU87Stuka=JU87 Stuka Dive Bomber" to Air english names.

opened V2 pack3D and hit "get dat" from sh3/data/air/ADB_LandJU87Stuka/Dat file---when it appeared in pack 3d--hit clone. bottom line on lower left corner of pack3d window-stated "cloning ADB_LandJU87Stuka.cam"--and that was it, window stayed that way.

Does that mean it's cloned and ready to go???

Do I need to do the same for the Zon, DSD, and Sim file from the ADB_LandJU87Stuka folder???

DO I need to rename, open, and clone the dat files from the "JU87Stuka" dat files in the data/Textures folder(TLowres and TNormal) also???

Safe-Keeper
10-31-06, 02:59 PM
Good luck, looking good.

Little thick headed on the cloning:Me, too.

Huh, cloning is a pain in Silent Hunter III. Plain and simple.

I Hope, with a capital H, that it's made far, far easier for the sequel. In fact, I don't want to see "open your favourite Hex Editor" once in a tutorial on simple things such as duplicating objects or adding weapon slots to units.
[/childish rant]

U-snafu
10-31-06, 03:27 PM
Huh, cloning is a pain in Silent Hunter III. Plain and simple.

Yah, the old concept of "Increased repeated effort" does not compensate for "Lack of Knowledge, skill, and talent" in my case.

well I answered one of my own questions----V2 pack 3d states Zon,DSD, and Sim files unable to be cloned.

bigboywooly
10-31-06, 03:28 PM
For your purposes that is ok

As long as you have renamed all folder contents the same then hit clone you should be ok

If you open the dat again with pack3d it should say the "*new name*.dat ok" bottom left

U-snafu
10-31-06, 03:44 PM
bbw,
yes-just checked and it states " ADB_LandJU87Stuka.dat" ok.

Thanks for the confirmation--just wanted to make sure I had all the steps done before loading up the test in game.

Once I'm sure it works in game alongside it's parent-I can move the clone to the land folder then I have some ideas to tweak the zon and sim files with Timetravelers tools to keep it from self-destructing on the ground. (or try just removing them like you said earlier)

bigboywooly
10-31-06, 04:12 PM
bbw,
yes-just checked and it states " ADB_LandJU87Stuka.dat" ok.

Thanks for the confirmation--just wanted to make sure I had all the steps done before loading up the test in game.

Once I'm sure it works in game alongside it's parent-I can move the clone to the land folder then I have some ideas to tweak the zon and sim files with Timetravelers tools to keep it from self-destructing on the ground. (or try just removing them like you said earlier)

Ok well let me know how you get on
Am trying it myself but still as an air unit but keeps self destructing :rotfl:
May have to reconsider that

AVGWarhawk
10-31-06, 04:19 PM
I don't know about your mod U-snafu but your sig is hilarious!:rotfl::rotfl:they closed by thread on these characters...spam as it where LOL!

U-snafu
10-31-06, 11:45 PM
bbw,
well the clone plane flies along perfect with it's parent-----now gonna move it to land folder, type it as 403, and attempt to figure out how to tweak it with sh3 mini tweaker or inspecter.
"Am trying it myself but still as an air unit but keeps self destructing :rotfl:
May have to reconsider that"-----yah, removed the Zon and Sim while it was typed as air unit and it still rolled around on the ground in flames in game.

If I remember correctly I think last time I looked at the stock tweak files in the mini tweaker--the zon file had a minimum crash height of 60m. gonna see what changing that value along with hitpoints, engine rpm, and such does.

AVGWarhawk,
Everyone kept talking bout "her" but she only stays around for a post or two--so I saved the image when she visited me so people would know what we were talking about in that now deceased thread:rotfl:

U-snafu
11-01-06, 04:02 AM
Well, used sh3 Inspecter and changed max speed to 0.000000 (min speed had to be changed to 0.00000 in cfg file), the engine rpm from 1184 to 0000 and engine rpm from 1000 to 0000, and finally min height from 60m to 10m (inspecter wouldn't let me change to below 10m). placed in in the air folder as type 305 and also tried land folder as type 403. scripted it in where the land height was above 10m and loaded up the game. CTD's right as initialization was finishing on all trys. starting to dawn on me I really have no idea what I'm doing:nope:

might try mini-tweaker when I figure out how to create and load the tweak files of the sim and zon stuka for the game version I'm using. had a look at the stock JU87 sim and zon files that come with it--but it also did not give a choice to change the min speed setting (that possibly could be the hang up).

Anyone with any suggestions or comments to help point me in the right direction.

ref
11-01-06, 07:01 AM
You just need to remove all files except the dat; zon = damage , dsd = sound, sim = simulation (engines, rudders, etc), val = effects.
The only possible problem is with propellers, it's a good chance that you'll have to edit them in a 3d program.

Ref

U-snafu
11-01-06, 12:48 PM
Thank you ref!!

U-snafu
11-01-06, 04:26 PM
:sunny: Got it to work--tks ref & bbw (still a WIP--your right ref, I'm gonna have to edit the props in 3d program)
http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/3894/sh3img1112006op1.jpg

Next step--1.) Figure out how to edit the props in wings 3d
2.)try to figure out a way to make a terrain air strip (possibly with
terrain repacker to at least make dirt or rock color strip??)

Safe-Keeper
11-01-06, 04:28 PM
If every airport in the game actually had this level of detail (parked planes and runway and perhaps even more things, such as hangars, fuel drums, fire trucks, etc.) instead of just being an invisible co-ordinate that airplanes Apparated from, that'd be really great.

ref
11-01-06, 04:52 PM
:sunny: Got it to work--tks ref & bbw (still a WIP--your right ref, I'm gonna have to edit the props in 3d program)
http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/4696/sh3img1112006155224187up0.png
I think the simpler way is to edit the texture of the propeller, removing the motion blur.

As for the strip, you could use one of the construction blocks in harbourkit.dat, I can do it for you, once we start with the beta testing of GWX, and I have a little more time. I even can try to make a full airport :D

Ref

Sailor Steve
11-01-06, 05:28 PM
And then figure out a way to make them sit back on their tail wheels.

U-snafu
11-01-06, 05:34 PM
Ref,
I was thinking of using a piece of the harbor and stripping it of all the buildings to use as a air strip (don't know how or if even possible--haven't really looked into that aspect yet--as you can tell from my posts here I'm in the "baby steps" aspect of this:oops: )

"I can do it for you, once we start with the beta testing of GWX, and I have a little more time. I even can try to make a full airport :D"

By all means feel free to---one of the "magic masters" will be able to produce something better then I can at this time:up: (no prob on time-don't want to interfere w/ GWX at any cost--plus it will take me some time to figure out using wings 3d to edit the prop textures)

The stukas are actually typed 305 helicopter and placed 3m's above the given ground height to mesh properly-(setting them as a land unit had them half buried). I have a max speed for them as 6kts but their set at 0kts. I wonder if I can set the one in the middle at 2kts and have it follow a waypoint at it's given height to simulate it taking off or landing:hmm: as you sail by.(probally not because the sim files are gone but I can test)

Safekeeper,
Maybe when this "airport" is done--it can be placed along a coast line and a Air_base can be scripted over it---be cool to see flying planes spawn over it--don't know if could work that way though.

Sailor Steve,
Yah, that bugs me too but as I said I'm in "baby steps" right now:lol:

U-snafu
11-02-06, 08:52 PM
baby step-#1) I learned how to make a doghouse with wings 3d:lol:

seriously -I believe I got all the 3d objects imported (14 seperate pieces:doh: ) for the stuka and Im In the process of learning/assembling them----ref or anyone--would just reducing the scale of the false helix to 0% get rid of the prop blur or am I off base?

ref
11-02-06, 10:39 PM
baby step-#1) I learned how to make a doghouse with wings 3d:lol:

seriously -I believe I got all the 3d objects imported (14 seperate pieces:doh: ) for the stuka and Im In the process of learning/assembling them----ref or anyone--would just reducing the scale of the false helix to 0% get rid of the prop blur or am I off base?

That and moving them to 0,0,0 coordinates with pack3d.

Remember to use V2 of pack3d (2pack3d.jar) to import/export objects, and the latest version to clone and move parts.

Ref

U-snafu
11-03-06, 12:14 AM
Ref,
:o --lol-I believe I need to read more of the threads on pack3d,cloning,importing/exporting and the wings 3d manual before I ask anymore questions:rotfl:

I cloned the stuka in the pics with v2 and tested. I then "got dat" and "exported" all from the same file and imported in wings 3d from the sh3/data/air/landstuka/3d object folder--opened 14 different wav obj into wings 3d and layed them out for assembly to what I believed where they go. have no idea yet what the mrk#01,#02,#03 are or where thay go. Just figured out how to align the vertices and then combine the objects. Assumed the false helix ( a flat horizontal object w/4 vertices) was what gave the prop(helix) it's blur and reducing it to 0% would render it invisible in game but I have no idea how to and where to line it up in wings3d (funny thing--looked at the false helix flat obj in wireframe mode and it had a graphic of the stuka on it but no other objects had any such thing and now I'm completly lost in that regard).

Back to your answer for me to be clear--clone the renamed stuka file with v5 and when importing/exporting to wings--- do it through v2?

Gonna read up some more and get more comfortable with the progs so I have a better grasp of it to understand your help. (really respect modelers even more now--I've given myself a migrain just trying to get this blur gone and rotate the stuka body down so it sets on it's back wheel-if I ever get it assembled in wings3d )

FIREWALL
11-03-06, 01:18 PM
Ref,
:o --lol-I believe I need to read more of the threads on pack3d,cloning,importing/exporting and the wings 3d manual before I ask anymore questions:rotfl:

I cloned the stuka in the pics with v2 and tested. I then "got dat" and "exported" all from the same file and imported in wings 3d from the sh3/data/air/landstuka/3d object folder--opened 14 different wav obj into wings 3d and layed them out for assembly to what I believed where they go. have no idea yet what the mrk#01,#02,#03 are or where thay go. Just figured out how to align the vertices and then combine the objects. Assumed the false helix ( a flat horizontal object w/4 vertices) was what gave the prop(helix) it's blur and reducing it to 0% would render it invisible in game but I have no idea how to and where to line it up in wings3d (funny thing--looked at the false helix flat obj in wireframe mode and it had a graphic of the stuka on it but no other objects had any such thing and now I'm completly lost in that regard).

Back to your answer for me to be clear--clone the renamed stuka file with v5 and when importing/exporting to wings--- do it through v2?

Gonna read up some more and get more comfortable with the progs so I have a better grasp of it to understand your help. (really respect modelers even more now--I've given myself a migrain just trying to get this blur gone and rotate the stuka body down so it sets on it's back wheel-if I ever get it assembled in wings3d )

Hi U-snafu Can't wait till you get this great mod done."drool drool" Have all your mods. These great mods by all of you keep the rest uv'e us sedated and calm:88) till GWX comes out.So keepup the good work it's mucho appreciated.:up:

VonHelsching
11-03-06, 02:46 PM

That's the easy part. Export, tilt a bit the 3dmodel, import back in. Done!

U-snafu
11-04-06, 03:19 AM

That's the easy part. Export, tilt a bit the 3dmodel, import back in. Done!

That is true-but it's the assembling of the 3d model pieces that I'm trying to get the hang of and what goes where--just started messing with a 3d program a few days ago for the first time.

Or are you saying I could skip assembling-just open each individual piece-tilt each piece in the Y axis to the same value then export them all back?? (if not-shows how much I still don't know)

Firewall,
Thks for comments,--half the reason for me trying this is to learn how to do it--but It's good to know that there is some interest for it when it's finished:up: . Might be busy over the next coming couple of weeks and have to shelve this so I don't know when I'll get it done --but Im sure when I get to the point that I realize "Ive shot my bolt" so to say--one of the gurus here will be able to knock it out in ten minutes when their less busy.

Ps: Thinking of ref maybe doing the "airport" with the harbourkit.dat --got me to thinking that maybe just placing the Plane graphics on that "construction" in a similar way that their placed as graphics on the aircraft carriers would save on fps--like I said-I have more ideas than knowledge of implementing them at this time.

U-snafu
11-06-06, 11:55 PM
At first I thought I got the whole export/import/wings 3d figured out-got it tilted and moving prop removed-but something is obviously wrong:nope:
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/5207/sh3img6112006uf8.jpg
http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/7817/sh3img6112006nr3.jpg

U-snafu
11-07-06, 12:53 AM
What did I do wrong or what step did I miss???

1.) I "got dat" from the landstuka dat file using v3 pack 3d-62kb one-(last
version-89kb-won't retrieve the dat file) and cloned it and exited out.

2.) I then got dat from the the dat file with v2-53kb one-and "exported all". this
created the 3d folder with 14 seperate obj files along with a MTL file and two
tga files-(G_helix, and JU87Stuka).

3.) Then opened wings 3d and imported the first of the 14 obj, rotated it -15.00 on
the x axis, then hit epxort selected object-named it the same as the 3d folder
file and saved it as a wavefront file-(ex: the fuselage obj--this created a obj
file "JU-87Stuka_fuselage" and a mtl file "JU-87Stuka_fuselage.mtl) in the wings
folder. Did this same routine for the following 13 obj files with the addition of
scaling the false_helix to 0.00%. then exited wings.

4.) Got dat file with v2 pack 3d--highlighted the sub folder "Node3d-JU-
87Stuka_fuselage" under-3d objects/3d-JU-87Stuka_fuselage-then hit import--
and clicked on the "JU-87Stuka_fuselage) obj file in the wings folder. pack 3d
gives message that file is imported. did the same for the rest of the obj files.
then exited

5.) Open v3 pack 3d-get dat-highlight the same 3d node file and it gives me a
screen to the right with blocks of text where I can apparently change the
numerical values. try putting ref's suggestion of 0,0,0, cordinates in the
X,Y,and Z blocks-it lets me do it but when I click on the next object--the lines
revert back to the prior cordinates. even try putting 0,0,0 in the "posistion"
block but same thing.

6.) Oh well-script in a few of the imported parked planes just to see what I get--
their tilted and the propeller is gone from the scaling it to 0.00% but as the
pics above show-I screwed it up somehow.

Anyone out there that works with wings 3d and importing with pack 3d have any suggestions or can tell me what step I missed or did wrong??

U-snafu
11-09-06, 11:48 PM
:sunny: After 3 days of beating my head against the comp--I found a work around.
http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/8470/sh3img91120ad3.jpg
Modified the Arado also to be able to park it on water. (the muti-uses of type 305)

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/8352/sh3img911200fo4.jpg

Was not able to get the later versions of pack 3d to accept any dat file from any aircraft unit so was unable to use pk3d to change the positions of the obj. Instead, imported all objects to wings except for fuselage and scaled to 0% and exported-then imported and assembled and combined all objects and exported it as the fuselage obj. only glitch in this method was the mrk obj's that provided the german crosses looked like below pic so I deleted them--due to this- finished stuka(above pic) is without the cross details--so gonna have to reskin it then onto the airport terrain part.
http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/8376/sh3imgja8.jpg

bigboywooly
11-10-06, 12:32 AM
Nice one U-S
I managed to get the Arado on water too but still had the prop running

http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/1282/screenhunter272ie8.th.jpg (http://img56.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenhunter272ie8.jpg)

Your getting there so keep going
Never thought about the 305 :up:

The Noob
11-10-06, 12:52 AM
Nice. :yep:

U-snafu
11-10-06, 01:53 AM
bbw,
what type did you use? I tried the sea folder w/type 100 but it sat down in the water up to it's wings. type 305 is becoming my all purpose fix--subpen guns, parked planes, and who knows what's next--don't know if and what it's been used for before but sure am glad the devs included it.

To get the prop at "stand still" I had to combine it w/ the body in wings3d and export/import the combo as the body.

bigboywooly
11-10-06, 08:14 AM
Ah I see
That was my next step - no need now :rotfl:
I kept it as the type it was but its a good idea to use the helicopter one as its not used anywhere else ingame

Cheapskate
11-10-06, 09:04 AM
Looking good, you guys. Nice bit of eye candy, particularly the Arado, although it has always struck me that the floats are on the wrong way round!

The Walrus or Catalina might look good and if some enterprising aircraft modeller could give us a Dornier Do 18 or Blohm & Voss Bv 138 that would be even better!

Any takers????

U-snafu
11-10-06, 12:46 PM
Cheapskate,
check out the following link--CB..'s floating Sunderland(sp):up: --that gave me the idea to try parking one on land.
http://www.ebort2.co.uk/

Cheapskate
11-10-06, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the link U-snafu. :up: CB's got some interesting stuff there which somehow I overlooked. Have d/l'd Sunderland and a couple of other things and will give them a go.

Thanks again!

U-snafu
11-12-06, 09:56 PM
Last of my playing with wings--put some wheels on the BF109--but as you can see, I havn't figured out UVmapping yet or textures:

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/1091/sh3img1211111oh0.jpg
Tried to use the "swordfish wheels"
http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/1583/sh3img12111006lw7.jpg

Edit: wont' do to much more w/this for awhile. More important thing just popped up. Maybe when I pick it back up to learn the mapping/texturing-an "airport" terrain will be done--(but with serg's new mod and upcomonig GWX--it makes it almost moot--everyone will (myself included) be using the new planes and I wouln't dare try to hack up those.