PDA

View Full Version : Why is there no side to side sound for scope?

Venatore
10-28-06, 02:43 AM
Have you ever wondered why there is no sound for the scope in the side to side movement ? I notice it when I was watching Das Boot ... when the captain is trying to size up the Destoryer in bad weather.

Your thoughts:hmm:

LoneTraveller
10-28-06, 03:13 AM
Sorry I don't remember the movie that well by heart :-?

kylania
10-28-06, 03:30 AM
There is in NYGM 2.2 :)

Venatore
10-28-06, 05:26 AM
:o ohhhh k then

Safe-Keeper
10-28-06, 05:29 AM
Am I the only one who doesn't remember that sound, even though I own both the original DVD and the Director's Cut and it's one of my favourite scenes:-??

Oh well.

Venatore
10-28-06, 06:23 AM
The sound when he is scanning left and right looking for that destoryer:yep:

mr chris
10-28-06, 06:25 AM
Ah you mean the click click click as the scope moves from left to right.:yep:

THE_MASK
10-28-06, 07:25 AM
You mean the one thats in NYGM 2.2.

Venatore
10-28-06, 07:34 AM
dont know I havent used that mod as yet....but if that where the sound is I'm going to DL now.

mookiemookie
10-28-06, 08:49 AM
Speaking of periscopes....I was at the dentist having a root canal the other day :dead: and noticed that the magnifying eyepiece he was using was made by Zeiss. The same Zeiss who made the periscope optics for U-boats, and who still makes periscopes today. Made me kind of chuckle while he was drilling into my poor tooth...

</thread hijack> ;)

mheil
10-28-06, 09:00 AM
As a land surveyor by profession I also recognized Zeiss as a maker of survey instruments. Known for their quality.

lafeeverted
10-28-06, 09:21 AM
I don't think it is the clicking sound you are remembering. It is a motorized sound as the captain is moving around the attack scope. I believe it had a powered seat that he is "riding".

Sailor Steve
10-28-06, 10:12 AM
Exactly. The attack scope is powered, the observation scope is not.

One of the things that bugs me is the fact that you can only hear the scopes going up and down if you are in the actual periscope view. Even though you stand right beside the observation scope in the aft control room view, you can't hear it while it raises and lowers.

_Seth_
10-28-06, 12:08 PM
BTW: Zeiss optics are common in sniper scopes too..Excellent quality:yep:

Ducimus
10-28-06, 06:08 PM
The sound you hear from side to side in the movie dasboot is because the attack periscope is electrically or hydrollically powered. Why is it not in SH3? I dunno. Should it exist for the observation periscope? Probably not.

Why does NYGM have a side to side sound? Its because of the TDC mod which is fairly easy to duplicate. All they've done is basically made half of the TDC into a drop down menu thats active at all times. By defaut without any modding, side to side movment in the periscope effects the TDC. Since the TDC is modded to be active at all times the scope makes a clicking noise, where as normally the only time the TDC is "active" is when you go to view it. Personaly while i think the ticking is cool, the slideown menu in the F5 map view is annoying as hell when trying to pull down a speed to range chart. I think they'd have done better by making the TDC active while only in the attack scope or UZO.

Albrecht Von Hesse
10-28-06, 06:53 PM
Personaly while i think the ticking is cool, the slideown menu in the F5 map view is annoying as hell when trying to pull down a speed to range chart. I think they'd have done better by making the TDC active while only in the attack scope or UZO.

It does get a bit annoying, yes. Especially when on the navigation page, and as you said moving up to snag the speed charts, or the mine and convoy map ones. But nothing's perfect. Anyone know if there's an easy way of disabling it just for the map (F5) view?