SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-13-06, 07:03 AM   #1
flakmonkey
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 78
Uploads: 0

Default additional interior compartments?

Ive noticed a number of mods come with new ship models, does tihs mean its possible to import your own models into sh3?
If so, is it be possible to model the missing interior compartments (ie engine/torpedo rooms etc) and import them into sh3??

since i first got sh3 ive wanted to explore the whole sub and was dissapointed that ubi only modelled the control/radio rooms.

im a 3d artist by trade so would have no problem modelling the missing interiors i just have no idea how to get them into sh3, heck i dont even have a way to open the .dat files.

any help is much appreciated...
flak.
flakmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-06, 07:35 AM   #2
DivingDuck
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 1

Moin,

since you´re an 3d artist I assume you have a 3d graphics program that is able to open/save *.obj file formats and a graphics program to open/save *.tga files.

Additionally you need
  • Pack3D
  • hex-editor
There are several versions of Pack3D on the net, 5 at all. You need all of them because each version has it´s own small deficiencies/advantages.

Modelling the whole sub´s interior sounds good. But as there is no trigger for additional compartements (afak) you´ll have to create the interior as open room to ensure the possibility to move trough the hatches. I don´t know wether the only limitation for the camera´s movement is the interior´s 3d model. So, possibly you might have to hex-edit the limits.

Regards,
DD
DivingDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-06, 07:48 AM   #3
Darkbluesky
Sparky

Downloads: 61

Agree with you. From the first moment I wanted to explore all u-boat. Even if there are nothing to do there, don't matter. This is the first thing missing in SH3, second is the ability to walk freely, like in a fps (using shift-F2 allows to move too much freely ). Would love to see the rest of compartments modelled, I even would pay for them.
Darkbluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-06, 09:22 AM   #4
The Noob
The Old Man

Downloads: 0

I always thought that aditional Compartments in the sense of begin actuall compartments is impossible. But expanding the Coltrole room to include the aft Compartments and expanding the Radio room to include the forward ones would be a solution. It would be "Fake-Compartments", as the game does not think of them as actuall compartments, but you can see them.

This could work. :hmm: (I hope someone understands this, i have bad english, Verdammt. )

The Problem is to add visible crewman to this "Fake" compartments.

All in all i think it is possible to modell this. It's just not easy to do, and thus it's not been tried before. I have the idea but not the skills.
The Noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-06, 09:40 AM   #5
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noob
I always thought that aditional Compartments in the sense of begin actuall compartments is impossible. But expanding the Coltrole room to include the aft Compartments and expanding the Radio room to include the forward ones would be a solution. It would be "Fake-Compartments", as the game does not think of them as actuall compartments, but you can see them.

This could work. :hmm: (I hope someone understands this, i have bad english, Verdammt. )

The Problem is to add visible crewman to this "Fake" compartments.

All in all i think it is possible to modell this. It's just not easy to do, and thus it's not been tried before. I have the idea but not the skills.
All of you don't let this die. You guy's will figure this out. Sorry my typeing is slow. Your probly off line by now I've had a stroke and a little slow. Keep at it and show us what you got. GOOD LUCK & GOOD HUNTING

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-06, 09:55 AM   #6
danlisa
Navy Seal

Downloads: 45
Uploads: 1

If you could do this, I think you might be considered a god in this forum.

OT @ Firewall - Get well soon
Old 10-13-06, 10:28 AM   #7
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlisa
If you could do this, I think you might be considered a god in this forum.

OT @ Firewall - Get well soon
Hi Danlisa Good Morning Thank's and how are you this fine day. It's 72 degres at 8:20 am in Carson ca. Ihope it's nice where you live. My best thing in life is meeting the NICE people on this site. Hoply i can some day i visit all people i now from this site. As they show so much good. Good luck& Good Hunting P.S. Look at all these new post's. Lot's of ???

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???

Last edited by FIREWALL; 10-13-06 at 10:31 AM.
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-06, 06:42 PM   #8
Fender74
Helmsman

Downloads: 70

it would be great to have more compartments,you could even model the toilet.:rotfl:
hope you can come up with something,good luck.

Fender74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-06, 07:58 PM   #9
Tuddley3
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREWALL
It's 72 degres at 8:20 am in Carson ca.
You are right down the street basically. One of my nearest neighbors is Mickey Mouse.

Last edited by Tuddley3; 10-13-06 at 08:00 PM.
Tuddley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-06, 05:39 AM   #10
flakmonkey
Grey Wolf

thanks for the many replies...

DivingDuck-
yup, i have maya as my 3d app and it will export .obj files, also photoshop for textures.

any ideas where i can find pack3d, it is free right? or do i have to dust off my credit card! i googled it but just came up with a multitude of russian forums

one thing would worry me about making open compartments, the polycount, having the rest of the sub as one big `fake` compartment would mean that it would all have to be drawn by your vid card at the same time, so id probably have to make each room less detailed to keep the count low. With closed off compartments i could go to the max number of polys allowed in each and hence have a much better looking sub.
Old 10-14-06, 05:49 AM   #11
flakmonkey
Grey Wolf

....ok looked a bit harder and found pack3d...
Old 10-14-06, 05:55 AM   #12
rascal101
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 200
Default I would like to add mu two cents worth re other compartments

I personally hope you do carry on this excellent idea, I found a virtual 3d tour of a dry docked UBOAT in the US, perhaps this might be useful

http://www.msichicago.org/exhibit/U505/index.html
or
http://www.msichicago.org/exhibit/U5...vie_petty.html

I often go for a wonder round the sub while being depthcahrged, it would be nice to have a few more areas to explore, I could even may a cup of tea or piss my pants in the toilet.

Keep it up and I hope you succeed

Rascal
rascal101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-06, 06:50 AM   #13
flakmonkey
Grey Wolf

well it definatly seems possible now, i`ll get to modelling this afternoon + thanks for the reference links rascal.

i`ll post some updates when i get somewhere with this.

(im starting with the type 7 first as i have the most reference for this.)
Old 10-14-06, 07:55 AM   #14
The Noob
The Old Man

Downloads: 0

*Stands stiff as hell*
*Glues eyes on the Forum*
*Salutes flakmonkey*

Great news!
The Noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-06, 09:51 AM   #15
Payoff
Captain

Downloads: 1

"Hit Shokaku class carrier with three out of six torpedos. Recieved 105 depth charges during three hour period. Heard four terrific explosions in the direction of target, two and one half hours after attack. Believe that baby sank!" Lieutenant Commander Herman Kossler USS Cavalla

Last edited by Payoff; 10-14-06 at 09:54 AM.
Payoff is offline   Reply With Quote