SUBSIM Radio Room Forums
Mods and files for every subsim!

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Fleet Boat Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-13-2011, 12:09 AM   #46
BillBam
Weps

Downloads: 162
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm goin' down View Post
It appears when the Easy Aob mod and OTC mods are activated you are unable to move the OTC range dial. I noticed this issue, so I deactivate the Easy Aob mod and the range dial for OTC works; however, you lose the advantage of the Easy Aob mod. I will fiddle with the order of the mods, but I think that is what happens.
Look up 6 or 7 posts, I have made a few adjustments and have both working.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:32 AM   #47
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Default Bill Bam

I made the changes to the files I thought you referred to. It did not work. Perhaps you could be more specific as to the specific files for the mod (OTC?) that require changes. I did not not reactive the Easy Aob mod after I made the changes that I thought were required.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:59 AM   #48
BillBam
Weps

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm goin' down View Post
I made the changes to the files I thought you referred to. It did not work. Perhaps you could be more specific as to the specific files for the mod (OTC?) that require changes. I did not not reactive the Easy Aob mod after I made the changes that I thought were required.
Here is the instructions from the orginal post on this mod, I did not do step #3 and it still worked, not sure if it is critical or not.

Open the Data\Menu\cfg\Dials.cfg file. (Save a copy in case you make a mistake).

The first part of the file looks like this:
[DIALS]
DialsNo=xx
For example for me it is DialsNo=74
Just add 1, so it becomes DialsNo=75

Do a search for this: Dial=0x43010002 There should only be one result. Replace this line:
Cmd=Set_tgt_sel_value; shared between dials
with: Cmd=Set_TDC_angle_on_bow

[Dial14]
Name=Sol_Angonbow
Type=27; DIAL_SOL_ANGONBOW
;Cmd=Set_TDC_angle_on_bow
Dial=0x3B0F00FF
CrtVal=0x3B0F0001
NewVal=0x0
DialVal=-180,180
RealVal=-180,180; degrees
Circular=Yes
CmdOnDrag=Yes
SndStep=5
SndList=1,Menu.TDC.AngleOnBow,360

5. Go to the end of the file and paste this before "; the end":
[Dialxx] ;<- read the number of the last dial and add 1
Name=TorpedoSolution_Temporary_AngleOnBow
Type=42; DIAL_TGT_ANG_ON_BOW
Dial=0x43010002
CrtVal=0x43010003
NewVal=0x0
DialVal=0.1,-0.1
RealVal=180,-180; degrees
Circular=Yes
CmdOnDrag=Yes
RelativeDrag=Yes
SndStep=5
;SndList=1,Menu.TDC.AngleOnBow,360

Do replace the [Dialxx] part with a corresponding number. If the last dial was [Dial73] then the new last dial should be [Dial74]
Old 03-13-2011, 12:58 PM   #49
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default BillBam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBam View Post
Here is the instructions from the orginal post on this mod, I did not do step #3 and it still worked, not sure if it is critical or not.

Open the Data\Menu\cfg\Dials.cfg file. (Save a copy in case you make a mistake).

The first part of the file looks like this:
[DIALS]
DialsNo=xx
For example for me it is DialsNo=74
Just add 1, so it becomes DialsNo=75

Do a search for this: Dial=0x43010002 There should only be one result. Replace this line:
with: Cmd=Set_TDC_angle_on_bow

[Dial14]
Name=Sol_Angonbow
Type=27; DIAL_SOL_ANGONBOW
;Cmd=Set_TDC_angle_on_bow
Dial=0x3B0F00FF
CrtVal=0x3B0F0001
NewVal=0x0
DialVal=-180,180
RealVal=-180,180; degrees
Circular=Yes
CmdOnDrag=Yes
SndStep=5
SndList=1,Menu.TDC.AngleOnBow,360

5. Go to the end of the file and paste this before "; the end":
[Dialxx] ;<- read the number of the last dial and add 1
Name=TorpedoSolution_Temporary_AngleOnBow
Type=42; DIAL_TGT_ANG_ON_BOW
Dial=0x43010002
CrtVal=0x43010003
NewVal=0x0
DialVal=0.1,-0.1
RealVal=180,-180; degrees
Circular=Yes
CmdOnDrag=Yes
RelativeDrag=Yes
SndStep=5
;SndList=1,Menu.TDC.AngleOnBow,360

Do replace the [Dialxx] part with a corresponding number. If the last dial was [Dial73] then the new last dial should be [Dial74]
Unfortunately, the fix did not work. Here is what I did. My cfg dials range from 1 to 77. However, at the top of the dials, it reports 78 dials. I changed 78 Dials to read 79 Dials. Then I made all of the changes directed above, the last dial being added in accordance with your instructions being Dial78.

To make sure my earlier attempts to fix the mod did not create a problem I extracted the OTC zip file and overwrote the OTC mod file entirely before I made the above and below described changes. This provided me a clean slate to work with.

After making the directed changes, I replayed a saved mission. I did not reactivate the Easy Aob mod designed for GFO. I am happy to report that the OTC worked fine. However, the rotation of the Aob dial on the Attack Dial did not make corresponding changes to the target ship on the TDC dial. Thus the Easy Aob mod was rendered nonfunctional (it did not work.)

Next, I actived the TGT AOB TO PK Fix - GFO mod. A message popped up on JGSME saying it was changing the OTC mod. I then reloaded and replayed the saved mission. This time Easy Aob mod worked properly. Rotation of the Aob dial on the Attack Dials caused corresponding adjustment to the target dial on the ship dials on the TDC. However, the range dial on the OTC froze (it did not work.)

I will start a new mission and see if that makes a difference. If it does, I will note it in a new post. I doubt it will.

I feel confident that I followed your instructions. If there is something wrong on my end or yours, let me know. I think the soluton is a mod fix - i.e, either a revised version of OTC or a separate mini mod that adds Easy Aob functionality to OTC. I think it is important to have access to both OTC and Easy Aob as part of the attack arsenal. Without both captains are forced to choose, and there is no reason why they should be required to do so unless it a conflict that cannot be fixed via modding. Unfortunately, I lack expertise to mod.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:48 PM   #50
BillBam
Weps

Sorry I can't be of more help, I just made the changes (less step #3) and everything worked first time. I am strickly a follow the example kind of guy with this stuff so I can't troubleshoot problems.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:56 PM   #51
Flybywire
Soundman

Downloads: 83

I notice that my camera no longer works. One of my favorite things to do is to stroll around the decks but am no longer able to do so.
Flybywire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:31 PM   #52
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Here are my comments so far.

First the mod is very cool. I have encountered these issues:

1. Tough to lock on target's at night. (I am still testing this.);
2. you have to ID the target which is sometimes difficult; (it is part of realism I guess.)
3. It is tough to recalcuate Aob if the target changes course, as I am not familiar with it enough to do it quickly, so I have been questimating Aob in my calculation with the omnimeter is incorrect and the target is at short range);
4. It apparently disables the Easy Aob (the Aob dial), or, alternatively, if you activate the Easy Aob it locks the OTC range finder. We need a mini mod to fix it so both mods work;
5. It appears, although I am not certain, that when OTC is activated, the aspect ratio cannot be determined by using the stadimeter on the Attack Dials (if it doesn't disable it, then what is correct measuring point on the target for the stadimeter?), so you may be stuck with the OTC as the sole means to calculate Aob and aspect ratio. This presents problems if the target reduces speed and starts to zig zag, especially if the target is at close range as quick adjustments using OTC are difficult at this stage of my learning curve.

Good news: It is very rewarding to use the Omnimeter and see the "X" on the Attack Map line up with the target's position and course.

Last edited by I'm goin' down; 03-15-2011 at 03:39 AM.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:01 PM   #53
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default FYI

I have sent a PM to nicolas and ddgrn, the authors of the Easy Aob mod, asking if they could make a mod to make OTC compatible with it. My testing iindicates that if the Easy Aob mod is activated the OTC range dial freezes and that the Easy Aob mod works. If the Easy Aob mod is not activated, the OTC range dial works but you cannot rotate the Aob dial freely and have corresonding changes displayed on the target ship's dial on the TDC. I do not know if either of them will respond to my request.

The Easy Aob mod would be very useful in connection with the OTC. If for whatever reason the OTC plot/settings are inacurrate, one can reset the target's course and Aob quickly using the Easy Aob. Without it one has to rely on the omnimeter to make adjustments, and if the time is of the essence, there may not be suffiient time even if you pause the game to take readings. That leaves you with O'Kane and the constant bearng attack as alternagtives. I would like to have the Easy Aob option as well.

Incidentally, I have activated OTC with Webster's GFO mod and a variety of other ones. I cannot find RSRDC 4.1, which is the mod tied to GFO, but since OTC is not designed for it, it is not currently an issue.

A collateral beneifit of the disabling of the Easy Aob mod is that it compels use of the OTC. Ultimately it will increase ones proficiency iusing the mod, and that seems to be a good thing.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:47 AM   #54
CapnScurvy
General Nuisance

Downloads: 456
Uploads: 64

I have no idea what Easy Aob does; nor has OTC been made to be compatible with it. So to comment further would only show my ignorance on the subject.

As a follow up on the "lock" issue. You probably know that the ability to "lock" onto a target and keep it in your sights is a game function, not a true to life function. WWII submarine periscopes didn't provide the luxury to "follow" a target, except by human control. You probably also have learned that in order to get a Telemeter reading from a target you have to remove the "lock" feature to have the marks line up over the "height reference point", or to measure the length of a target. In both cases the "lock" feature get into the way.

Yes, you need to ID a target using the Recognition Manual. That's why it's called "manual targeting". As well as finding the target "height reference point" that is used for either the Telemeter or Stadimeter readings. The book has these reference points marked for easy reference.

@ I'm goin down, I'm not sure what you mean by the term "Aspect Ratio" in regards to the Attack Data Tool? The stock Attack Data Tool is worthless in giving accurate range or height measurements. The stock Attack Data Tool was designed to have no input for the control of height or length measurements. It's there for SHOW, not function.

When you manually ID a target through the Recognition Manual, the dial indicator will move to the height, but watch the indicator. It only goes up so far in height, if you are using the Imperial height measurements it won't cover the height of the taller ships! Another example how the game was designed for the metric system, and the American unit of measurements were just an "add on" to a poor attempt of authenticity. I would not put much stock in getting the ADT dials to work unless they had completely new dials made to cover the range of height and distance used.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:40 AM   #55
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default capn scurvy

The Easy Aob mod permits one to rotate the Aob dial on the Attack Dials with the PK deactivated. When it is rotated the target ship's dial on the TDC rotates to a corresponding position. (i.e. move the Aob dieal to 345 degrees and the ship's dial on the TDC moves to 345 degrees.) This feature enable one to adjust the ship's dial on the TDC to match the target's course using the Aob dial. Once this is accomplished, then you can enter speed and range and activate the the PK.

ID of Target's with the manaual. Not a big issue there. I was commenting on the feature.

Re the aspect ratio. I am referring to the Range Dial on the Attack Dials. If the OTC is activated, does its range dail override the Range Dial on the Attack Dials? (I think that dial is called the stadimeter.) If so, the only functional dial on the Attack Dials would be the speed dial. Using the stadimter if you have to recalcuate range, especially if the target is close, is quick, but if it is diabled by the OTC that is okay too. I am inquiring simply because I wanted to know if (1) the OTC overrides (replaces) the Attack Dials' range and Aob functions or (2) supplements them. After rereading your post, I guess it is a waste of time using the stadimeter in the stock game, so this may be a nonissue.

Please do not consider this a criticism of the mod. I am simply attempting to see how it works in conjunction witht the Attack Dials. I am trying to avoid the situation where I turn to the Attack Dials for quick fix of a firing solution after setting up using the OTC only to discover those dials do not work when the mod is activated. I like the mod and think it is an amazing piece of work. Using the OTC may affect our use of other Attack tools, and using it will require captains to weigh its advantages in instances. Personally, I like the mod. It is extremely sophisticated. From my limited experinece it appears to be accurate too. (I assume it cannot be used with SCAF or Max Optics in TMO2.1?) As of now, I have deactivated the Easy Aob mod and have not been able to get an accurate range reading using the stadimeter with OTC activated, which, again may be a moot point based upon your last post. It should be noted regarding the latter, that I am currently concentrating on ATO so I have not used the OTC for a few days. I activated OTC in a separate setup along with GFO and a few other minor mods, and other than the apparent conflict with the Easy Aob mod, OTC works like a charm.

Last edited by I'm goin' down; 03-17-2011 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:12 PM   #56
CapnScurvy
General Nuisance

Default To I'm goin down

You asked does the OTC mod Range Dial over ride the Attack Data stadimeter dials. The quick answer is no, it matches it. The stock Attack Data Tool dials that are associated with the stadimeter's use are merely for "show" (they have no function but to 1. show the "height" of the target once it is selected through the Recognition Manual, and even then this function is off considering the lettering on the dial does not go high enough when using the imperial option; AND 2. the display of a matching range to target when the stadimeter is moved up and down), they have no real capability of "mouse dragging" for setting a figure unless its modded in, or through the use of the stadimeter as the stock game has it.

The OTC Range Dial does not replace or over ride the stadimeters dial function, they coexist. One to use with the stadimeter, the other with the telemeter reading process or radar range gathering. The OTC Range Dial does not effect the stadimeters use at all.

The other two Attack Data Tool dials (Speed and AoB) are not effected either. They function (not like the stadimeter dials which are just to show something) by mouse clicking/dragging and inputting the setting to the TDC as they should.

As far as using SCAF or one of the MaxOptics mods with Optical Targeting Correction, they are not needed. The SCAF height reference points are included in the OTC mod. This means the heights are calibrated for accuracy and are correct. The lengths are too, so when a measurement reads 140 feet, its 140 feet. Using MaxOptics isn't needed either since the view is very similar. Granted, I didn't put the binocular magnification of 18x into the OTC mod but just about everything else is there. Using MaxOptics over OTC will definitely over ride any corrections to the optics OTC makes. So no, do not use it.

Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
Old 03-17-2011, 09:13 PM   #57
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default capn scurvy

Got it. thanks. I have to practice with the Omnimeter to get it down pat. I mess up on the Aob, but I am getting better each time. This is quite a mod. It will be interesting to see if I can go after two targets one day. It is a good feeling to use OTC and get a good range setting at over 3,500 yds.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:04 PM   #58
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Don't tell anyone but I have maneivered my U-Boat boat off the Libyan coast to assist the coalition. So far we have seen no action. We have spotted boat loads of Libyan refiugees fleeing to Egypt. If any coalition planes get shot down, we will pick up the downed pilots. Meanwhile, we are featuring belly dancing music to keep the crew entertained.

Between missed night time attacks and a couple crashed games when my computer went in to sleep mode, I am fairly convinced that two range readings will really help with a night attack using OTC. You mention it in the tutorial. The last game shut down when my computer went into sleep mode just after I set up for a night convoy attack!

I just looked the radar tutorial. Very nice.! It is jam packed with information. I am going to install it on my U-Boat. Hopefully, it will not screw up the OM/OMEGU/KIUB mod. I already have it installed on my American boat. Good work!
Old 03-19-2011, 07:45 PM   #59
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Is it possible to use the German radar with OM/OMEGU/KIUB? I was thinking and assuming that the OTC mod would not be compatible with OM/OMEGU/KIUB because both affect the periscope view. However, all I would like to incorporate into OM/OMEGU/KIUB is the German radar aspects of OTC. I activated the German radar screen. Will that do the job? If it cannot be done or involves a lot of work, forget it. My current UBoat does not have radar, so I do not know if the activating the German radar screen mod will work when I eventually graduate to a boat with radar.

Also, if the target is so large that it covers the Fov, can we use low magnigication to set the range and Aob on the Omnimeter? I suspect we can, but thought I should inquire, as the tutorial talks about using high magnification.

Today was the second time that I could not see the target, even at close range. Then I realized that I was looking at its siloutte and looking right through it. On high magnification, the target was so large it obscured the Fov (see, I am even using your teminology!), so I went to low magnification so I could see the entire ship, set up for O'Kane because the target was CLOSE, and sank it with four direct hits. Wnen there is a light fog or mist, it seems that it is tough to see the target clearly. That is likely not related to OTC but GFO/Real Environment mods.

Last edited by I'm goin' down; 03-20-2011 at 12:21 AM.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:32 AM   #60
CapnScurvy
General Nuisance

To answer "I'm goin' down" questions, The Optical Targeting Correction was not made compatible for OM (Operation Monsun) or its additional mods. I've never looked at OM except to know what it is; a German U-Boat campaign set in the Atlantic and Mediterranean using the SH4 game as a base game platform. To just use the German radar portions out of OTC use a knife, and start cutting. You had better have a bit of knowledge of what files both mods use so there may be a learning curve to your project. Good luck!!

To just use the German Radar PPI screen portion of OTC will not give you better results of proper radar sensor capabilities. You MAY get the overlay (that's all this optional mod does, provide a different image) to appear on the radar screen (you may not, I don't know what changes any of the OM mods have changed over stock) but, you won't get the changes OTC has made to the radar sensor figures that allow a target to be found on the radar when its in plain sight of the sub (which is the opposite of the stock game files). I point this out simply because if the stock radar won't do this simple task, why would you count on it to find an object over the horizon. I can tell you it won't on all sweeps, if at all. Since I don't know if OM changed anything regarding the stock sensors for its U-Boat radar, I'm suspecting all you will have is an image change to the U-Boat PPI radar screen without any other benefits.

===================

OTC's optical changes are accurate for both High or Low magnification. Use the magnification that suits the situation best.

There was a reason the stock game Attack Data Tool stadimeter dial has the warning "At High Magnification" printed in the center. At one time the High magnification was the only setting that would give you somewhat accurate results. This was with the 1.0 version of the game. With either the 1.2 or 1.3 patch, the devs changed the optical parameters of the game to match what they had going with SHIII, throwing out any attempt to use the American periscope telemeter divisions as intended. Prior to this time (I believe) the plan was put into motion to have the U-Boat missions added to the American Wolves of the Pacific game. In reality, the devs screwed up the optics for the American side for the future benefit of having the German side of play shoved down our throats (and charge us 10.00 dollars extra to do it!!) Really, they didn't care that neither side could use the scope telemeter divisions (stock uses the same periscope image for both sides) for finding range to a target (even though there is a short paragraph about the scope telemeters divisions in the manual). The proof is in the progression of changes the patches hold. As far as the optics within the game are concerned, the stock game was more accurate at its release in 2007 then what we have with the 1.5 patch.

==================

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybywire
I notice that my camera no longer works. One of my favorite things to do is to stroll around the decks but am no longer able to do so.

It's true, I've changed the ability to be on the conning tower, or one of the interior rooms and stroll about the place. These were "modded" features not stock features. I may have included them for the interior rooms if I could have kept the movement within the room walls. I could not find a way of doing this. As you know, when you step out of a room through the wall, a statement will appear "Out of Sector" and you may or may not get back depending on luck more than anything else. I just couldn't bring myself around to put in a modded function that could leave a player to overcome this problem.

I did however allow the use of the "Free Camera" (click on the F11 key) to put yourself onto the outside of the sub, or any other ship for that matter, to "stroll" about as you like. Just play "Superman" to fly-in onto the deck. So in a way, the ability to move about on the outside of the sub is the same as what you ask, just done a different way.

Quote:

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 03-22-2011 at 02:52 PM.