SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-16-10, 02:41 AM   #286
Mescator
Soundman

Downloads: 49
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyg00 View Post
here's a dumb question that has probably been answered somewhere among the many pages of this thread... once i have the mod installed and i am playing a mission... how do i GET to the 3D TDC?
There's a few methods depending on what mods your running.

The most reliable is simply double clicking the radar button on the command bar and it should take you to it.

Alternatively, a free camera will let you move to it while your in the conning tower and TMO (Not sure about stock/RFB) let's you click on the hatch to the conning tower.
Mescator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-10, 10:00 AM   #287
timmyg00
中国水兵

Downloads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mescator View Post
There's a few methods depending on what mods your running.

The most reliable is simply double clicking the radar button on the command bar and it should take you to it.

Alternatively, a free camera will let you move to it while your in the conning tower and TMO (Not sure about stock/RFB) let's you click on the hatch to the conning tower.
Thanks, I will try to double-click on the radar button. Due to graphics issues (crashes!) with RFB, i have limited my mods to RSRDC, 3000yd bearing plotter, Show_Air_Contacts, and finally, 3D TDC. Unfortunately the 3D TDC causes some noticeable FPS lag as well, but so far it is tolerable. I guess my portable's (so-called gaming laptop) video card is not up to handling the graphics mods. I'm lucky to be able to play SH4 at all, i guess! It's a shame, because i love what i have seen with regard to graphics in some of these mods!!

TG

Naval Historical Sites - Photo Galleries
timmyg00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-10, 07:02 PM   #288
timmyg00
中国水兵

Quote:
Thanks, I will try to double-click on the radar button. TG
I tried... didn't work... any other suggestions?

thx

TG

Old 09-17-10, 01:31 AM   #289
Roger Dodger
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 74

Quote:
I tried... didn't work... any other suggestions?

thx

TG
What class of boat are you driving? If double-clicking on the RADAR button doesn't work, and clicking on the Conning Tower Hatch doesn't work, and the mod has been properly installed, that leaves only one answer:

3D TDC will ONLY work with Gato or Balao class subs.

The TDC is there with other class subs, but you have to move to it with the free camera, and I don't think you can get any useful info from it, nor make any settings on it.

Good Hunting
Old 09-17-10, 09:26 AM   #290
timmyg00
中国水兵

I am driving a Balao, and according to the training and screenies at the beginning of this thread, you can move certain dials to enter information into the TDC.

thanks.

TG

Old 09-17-10, 11:34 AM   #291
John Channing
Sea Lord

Downloads: 156
Uploads: 5

Try right clicking your mouse from the radar screen.

JCC
John Channing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-10, 06:27 PM   #292
Roger Dodger
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 74

Quote:
I am driving a Balao, and according to the training and screenies at the beginning of this thread, you can move certain dials to enter information into the TDC.

thanks.

TG
So far, so good. You're at least using the right class sub. Double-clicking the RADAR button or clicking on the Conning Tower hatch should take you right to the 3D TDC screen. I'm still using auto-targeting, but its working for me. If you are using auto-targeting, you can't make any direct inputs to the TDC (but it is fun just to watch the dials spin around).

Check your Options. To get full use out of the 3D TDC, you need to have MANUAL TARGETING ON (or auto-targeting off - I forget). When you get really good with it, turn the Map Contacts OFF. I'm pretty sure that you need to set your options BEFORE you start your mission (maybe before you even choose the mission).

With Manual Targetting ON, some of the TDC inputs can be done on the Periscope and Attack Map screens with the ATTACK DATA TOOL (the gizmo at the upper right of the screen) rather than the TDC itself. Not as accurate, though, since the dials are much smaller, but you don't have to switch screens as much.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-17-10, 09:27 PM   #293
timmyg00
中国水兵

OO-RAH, thanks guys!! Both the right-click and the conning tower hatch thing worked great!

TG

Old 09-18-10, 03:04 PM   #294
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

The more I use this mod with contacts off, it's just amazing. It adds so much to the game.

Now, just mod online play that I can have some friends inside my sub. Be cool to have a few friends working inside the sub with me doing all the math....

Shame they didn't add that method of online play.....it's in so many games.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-11, 10:49 PM   #295
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

Bump!
(Because this just really deserves it.)

See also:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=170944
(for this great mod)
Old 04-09-11, 05:07 PM   #296
KapitanDP
Seaman

Downloads: 61
Default Newbe with a problem

Hello all,
I hope someone can help me. I downloaded Nisgeis' Radar and TDC Training Missions v1.02 and have a problem with two of the missions. Radar Training Part One and TDC Training Part One both say "Unknown" under the Sub type column in Submarine School. Also, there are no listed subs to choose in the drop down. The other three missions are just fine.

Also, I moved those two missions to the Quick Mission folder and they both work???

Any help would be appreciated. TIA

KDP

Last edited by KapitanDP; 04-09-11 at 05:08 PM. Reason: I am running Silent Hunter 4 v1.5 with no mods...
KapitanDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-11, 05:53 PM   #297
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapitanDP View Post
Hello all,
I hope someone can help me. I downloaded Nisgeis' Radar and TDC Training Missions v1.02 and have a problem with two of the missions. Radar Training Part One and TDC Training Part One both say "Unknown" under the Sub type column in Submarine School. Also, there are no listed subs to choose in the drop down. The other three missions are just fine.

Also, I moved those two missions to the Quick Mission folder and they both work???

Any help would be appreciated. TIA

KDP
I think I might be able to help. I am not sure. I too played the practice missions. However, if I recall, I activated the missions via JGSME. If my recollection is correct that may solve your problem. If not, my apologies.

This is one terrific mod by the way. I went wild when I sunk one of the tarining mission target's via radar using radar under weather conditions that rendered a view of the target impossiible. The only other targeting mod that comes close in PTO is Capn Scurvy's Optical Targeting Correction which was recently released, but for it to be effective, you need a target view. In OM, the KIUB mod is similar to the OTC mod, but agian, it is only effective if you can view the target. Unfortunately, I do not believe the the 3D TDC mod and OTC mod are compatible.

Waves to Nisgeis!
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-11, 08:56 AM   #298
KapitanDP
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm goin' down View Post
I think I might be able to help. I am not sure. I too played the practice missions. However, if I recall, I activated the missions via JGSME. If my recollection is correct that may solve your problem. If not, my apologies.

This is one terrific mod by the way. I went wild when I sunk one of the tarining mission target's via radar using radar under weather conditions that rendered a view of the target impossiible. The only other targeting mod that comes close in PTO is Capn Scurvy's Optical Targeting Correction which was recently released, but for it to be effective, you need a target view. In OM, the KIUB mod is similar to the OTC mod, but agian, it is only effective if you can view the target. Unfortunately, I do not believe the the 3D TDC mod and OTC mod are compatible.

Waves to Nisgeis!

Goin' Down,

Thanks for your input but I got the same result using JSGME. The same two missions won't allow me to select a sub class in the submarine school. I tried looking at the ".MIS" files for those two missions to see if I could find a problem but I just don't know enough about what I am looking at to help my situation. I tried changing a few numbers but that didn't help either.

Hopefully, someone here will be able to identify the problem.

KDP
Old 04-16-11, 12:11 PM   #299
KapitanDP
Seaman

Ok, I finally got the two files to work in Sub School For anyone who cares, here is what needs to be done:

Both of the ".MIS" files must use the date 19430601 for CfgDate, GameEntryDate, and AvailStartDate. When these are changed, the Balao sub is available for the mission. Also, I noticed that the ".TSR" files had a problem. When you check the Captain's Log or at the end of the mission, the "Objective" was listed incorrectly. They said something like, "RT4_Objective Name". If you go to the ".TSR" file and change the line, "RT2_Objective Name=RT4 Objective Name" to "RT2_Objective Name=Sink Ship using manual TDC targeting" or similar, it will then display correctly.

This is in no way a negative shot at the author of these files. Everyone can make a small mistake. I am just a bit anal and refused to rest until I could make these two missions work in the Sub School area. I thank you for creating these missions so they can be used by the whole community

KDP
Old 02-18-16, 06:33 AM   #300
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

bump

essential reading.

could this be stickied? too important to be lost.