Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-25-10, 05:06 AM   #646
McHub532
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 104
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenter68 View Post
Hi there, I'm new to this forum, and I bought my SHV yesterday...
So, well, i thought about getting upgrade stuff for my PC, just to play my new game...
I spent the last 5 hours with reading all the threads here, also i did in other forums...
Did I buy the wrong game??????

Should I spend $ 200 for a new graphic card, just to figure out, that the server then lets me down all the time, that i've got to fight all those bugs and glitches I read about here?????

Or just goin' on building my beloved german U-boats in 1:72 scale?
Seems to be the better idea....

I'm not a big gamer, but didnt expect that much trouble, when I just wanna have some sub-fun!

greets
Best adivce I can give, "Wait for 1 full year.. then buy the game and download all the fancy mods here on subsim.com.. and enjoy an amazing game that will blow your mind; no thanks to ubisoft."

McHub532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-10, 06:12 AM   #647
McHub532
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 104
Default Appology

Sorry the last few posts on this thread sounded like me being all pissed off.
It took 3 IRL days to read through this ONE thread (all thier mistakes, errors, bugs and 'could care less programing') and to catch up... so my responses while reading piled up at the end of the post and make me look enraged. heh... maybe I am.

P.S. I have it budgeted in my family budget to purchase this game Friday. Since finding out it was available (3 days ago, I came back from Baghdad and then moved across the country for a new job, I was a bit distracted) and the purchase tomarrow.. not all that sure I'm going to buy the game after all. Been salivating for over a year and now it tastes like dung in my mouth just learning about another Ubisoft slap in the face.

Thank GOD for the modders here. Absolutely amazing people that will turn this steaming pile into a work of art over the next year.

McHub532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-10, 11:10 AM   #648
SabreHawk
Captain

Downloads: 8
Ok so I've read about stuttering issues. Do a good ole system restart if the game starts doing this. This is something that any computer needs every now and then, clears up RAM of all the junk that gets to interfering with a graphicly strong game like SH5, or any other for that matter.

Last night I was getting this, and it had been three weeks since the last time I'd done a restart. So I quit the game, restarted the computer and then back in the game and all is silky smooth again.
Old 03-25-10, 05:46 PM   #649
yano1966
Watch

Downloads: 115
Default The beach of Tunisia...

The beach of Tunisia : Looking for the bug...

Old 03-25-10, 07:20 PM   #650
Herr Schilbe
Nub

Downloads: 9
Default bugs

having a few problems... game almost unplayable

1. CO2 level continues to rise even through i am surfaced... air compression returns to 100%, CO2 continues to rise. After a save load this problem goes away at least for a while.

2. chronometer keeps making ticking noise 3 days after shooting a torpedo... save/load does not fix this issue and has forced me to restart my campain due to mind numbing ticking sound (especially bad with TC).

3. various other sound related issues.
Herr Schilbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-10, 04:21 AM   #651
Junglist
Watch

Downloads: 21
Default Does magnetic detonators work?

Made some experiment with magnetic detonators. Attacked a merchant with 7.3 m draft. Dud torpedoes was turned off.
Deph set to: 9,2; 8,6; 8.1; 7,6. Only 7,6 m torpedo hits a target and that was impact detonation.
Is this how it must work?

Last edited by Junglist; 03-26-10 at 05:49 AM.
Junglist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-10, 05:12 AM   #652
daft
Captain

Downloads: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by McHub532 View Post
Simply stated, "Ubisoft could care less if the game works or not. They make enough money with a fancy release date video to pay their rent and heat bills. Beyond that, screw you people that spend your money on their games. In a few years they will make another piece of crap software and make a nice video to sell it. And will sell enough to do it again."
That is not entirely true to be fair. If they really thought that they'd be out of business sooner rather than later. They need to be associated with a good level of quality to keep their sales up, be it by delivering complete and solid software or supporting the released code by patches. Hopefully they'll give SH5 some patches and keep delivering good games (which I think they do most of the time).
Old 03-27-10, 05:27 AM   #653
M4XDmG
Helmsman

Downloads: 106
Default No diving siren, no crew to battlestations bell

Ok. Many of the problems in the game UI (missing commands, etc) are already covered in subsim and there is a mod workaround, thank god for that, but different submarine sounds are very important for me and I just can't stand the silence when I issue an order to dive and can't hear that lovely siren sound... My gaming experience drops drastically... Is anyone else having this problem? I don't know if any other sounds are missing too. This is the last issue keeping me out of SH5 world. Atleast for now...
M4XDmG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 12:56 PM   #654
PL_Andrev
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 91

Collision detection mechanism was already bugged in SH4.
In this version of Silent Hunter nothing has changed, this same bug lives!

PL_Andrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 02:44 PM   #655
Redlance88
Sailor man

Downloads: 67
Default seems like personal preferance and a comment

I don't thing it's about calling any one a liar, the person makes a valid point that common sense would seem to bear out, why put a (hard metal presumably) bar in front of sharp saws designed to cut through sub nets? it would limit the effectiveness of the net cutter, it stands to reason that the flag mast is easily removable either socket n post or other method so that when in friendly waters one can fly national colors. When the sub is in hostile waters and might need to use the net cutters, I doubt the jack would be there. regardless I would rather the "ship yard" remove this mast as well. One other logical thing to think about is that the photo is a PR kind of photo of a brand new sub, much like the launching of modern US subs all sorts of flags decorations and other "show the colors" junk is on there that would not be on a active sub as sea. My guess, is that at sea in war time that mast is not present and it's valid to want to have a mod that removes it. no offense to any one intended just making a point and stating personal taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elder-Pirate View Post
Better take another good look at the picture and if that is not good enough read the text below the picture.

Here I'll refresh your mind:

"A "jack" (Goesch or Gösch in German) is a small version of the national flag that is flown from a jackstaff on the bow of a war ship to indicate its nationality, while a military or war ensign is flown on the stern. A jack is below shown flying from the jackstaff on a new submarine just launched at the Krupp Germania Wharf Kiel, in the period ad at the left.

Do you still want to call the writer a liar??
Redlance88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 03:01 PM   #656
PL_Andrev
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 91

Pic from this topic: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=166200

This is the british "U" class submarine.
Is he not too deep?

PL_Andrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 10:14 PM   #657
dbf574
Mate

Downloads: 17

Quote from ANTAR:
[/QUOTE]...#2 Unchangable mission for single & multiplayer.
Why one mission can not be played under 1000 different conditions?
Much more interesting missions are the same missions played in various (or random) weather conditions (set the original as default).
For example:
  • Mission Time: night, day, dusk, dawn (4)
  • Wind: none, small, medium, large (4)
  • Weather: none, partially clouds, overcast (3)
  • Fog: none, small, medium, large (4)
  • Precipitation: None, rain, snow (3)
  • Precipitation: solid, variable (strength and time random and changed in time) (2)
The same mission played under about 4x4x3x4x3x2 ... 1000 conditions!
(In fact, a little less conditions: precipitation when ovecast, type of precipitation when precipitation are turned on).

It can be assumed that one single mission has the right to get boring - but if could be played in extremely different conditions (from stormy night with full cloud cover, precipitation, and dense fog to sunny windless day, the visibility excellent) can be played again and again... and player must change his attack style to be successfully.

So a simple solution - why cannot be implemented?[/QUOTE]

This would make the game sooo much better once some of the other bugs in the game are corrected along with some of the great mods often provided to us by some of the greatest modders any site would be proud of.

Last edited by dbf574; 03-27-10 at 10:21 PM. Reason: wanted to provide source of quote
dbf574 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 10:46 PM   #658
dbf574
Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrgn View Post
Thats not realistic. And you dont want that anyways, sometimes you want to lead the shots, now you can change the bearing simple and easy... You can also hold a target now without having to stay locked on, you can look and identify other boats while keeping your soltuions for another.

I have already added the toggle PK lock key via the commands.cfg. I can lock that, but i hardly us it because I am able to compensate the solution manually via the proper math (like a real captain would).

The game is forcing you to be a real captian now. So for some saying the immersion is lacking is showing how poorly you understand the role of a captain and the uboat as a whole.
As one who has served on five submarines, four different classes of attack boats, as part of the control room party, I can honestly say that at no time will the periscope "track" any contact of interest without the effort of the individual operating the periscope!
Old 03-27-10, 11:01 PM   #659
dbf574
Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junglist View Post

Made some experiment with magnetic detonators. Attacked a merchant with 7.3 m draft. Dud torpedoes was turned off.
Deph set to: 9,2; 8,6; 8.1; 7,6. Only 7,6 m torpedo hits a target and that was impact detonation.
Is this how it must work?
If I remember correctly, depending on the year of action, in the early years there were problems with the magnetic torpedoes.
Old 03-27-10, 11:08 PM   #660
kylania
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbf574 View Post
As one who has served on five submarines,
As one who has only ever played submarine games but has two friends that have served on submarines I can say that dark red text on light gray background is impossible to read.

kylania is offline   Reply With Quote