SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-29-10, 11:14 AM   #466
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Again I seem to be an odd one. Whenever I lose a crewmember to anything other than a transfer, I roll a die to determine how many days before departure the guy was killed or went missing. If it's one or two there was no time to replace him, and I sail short-handed.
Old 08-29-10, 11:21 AM   #467
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Again I seem to be an odd one. Whenever I lose a crewmember to anything other than a transfer, I roll a die to determine how many days before departure the guy was killed or went missing. If it's one or two there was no time to replace him, and I sail short-handed.
I got irritated and turned off "simulate crew transfers" after my LI went AWOL.

Actually I think I turned if off when I was having CTD problems and systematically going through all my mods to find the problem. I had to keep loading and exiting the game and after every 2 minute "patrol" I'd have another crew change, lol.

I've left it off because I started this career in Aug '39 and so I'm content to keep the same crew (barring the occasional new recruit for training purposes) for a while. At some point I'll probably turn it back since as the war goes on it's going to feel less and less realistic to not have men transferring in and out. Probably at that point I'll start voluntarily letting go of senior officers to simulate promotion to onshore positions or their own commands.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-10, 12:14 PM   #468
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

I turned it off because all of my men who got into bar fights, lost. I never had any who won the fights, and I got tired of my crew being laughed at and called wimps.

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-10, 08:57 AM   #469
P_Funk
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScones View Post
I don't use steam myself, but if you are running Vista or Win7 and installing the steam version to the default location, then unless you escalate permissions for both SH3Cmdr and the game (and JSGME if you use it), you'll have the problem you describe.

Easiest solution is just to install SH3 outside of the Program Files folder. Instructions are in various related threads.

If, however, you are using XP, then I have no idea.
Yes I'm using XP since I already found the Vista solution. I'm stumped. It must be something to do with Steam and how it appropriates the files.

I've yet to find a solution and this problem has sapped some of the fun for me...

Thanks for answering.

P_Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-10, 09:13 PM   #470
Tessa
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 22

Quote:
And on a related note I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH THAT SH3CMDR DOES NOT MODIFY THE RANKS THAT ARE ALREADY EXISTING IN THE GAME! (that's usually where this question leads)

In case that is not clear to anyone, SH3Cmdr does NOT modify strings 160 to 174 in **_menu.txt in any way.
I figured out how to re-add the expanded ranks you can put in to the 176-179 slots without casuing a conflict (and still staying correct and able to use the korvettenkapitan + ranks and images already included in SH's files). Was trying to use the menu_variable_en of your's that you used to insert all the extra radio dialogue doing so as per the difections in that file.

Quote:
If you don't want any of its functionality, just don't use it to load SH3. Just load it after patrols and use it to edit your patrol log and generate your updated personnel file.

Alternatively, just make sure you apply your file changes to a clean state installation of SH3 (ie sans SH3Cmdr changes), OR apply your file changes to SH3Cmdr's "Static settings.cfg" file. That way SH3Cmdr will ALWAYS apply them to your game, regardless.
I'm sorry if it sounded offensive or that I was trying to blame SHC for the problems, I was frustrated that SHC wasn't acting as it should've even under the 2nd scenario you describe. The next patrol I started getting a chronic CTD problem and had to scrap that carreer and re-install from scratch (nuking any and all files and folders the (base) game creates).

After that whole ordeal started over at square 1 with SHC, and the modifications I added to the static_settings file and variable_menu_en and was able to get all the ranks to Vizeadmiral working again and change the medal values. Sorry that I did't make a post earlier say "everythings all fixed" as I should have. The CTD issues that were plaguing me before are gone and have even been able to successfully savegames while submerged (some times had no choice),early this week my Grandmother died and when I got the news was playing a game and submerged while in a safe (but not safe to surface) scenario and had to drop everything to travel up to her place and the funeral.

Some mods I had in use I cracked em open and instead of adding them with JGSME just added their changes in the static_settings file instead and drastically reduced the number of mods on my list, anything there now is something that is more major (like the gui mod, ship skin, etc.).

Is nice again to be able to use SHC's extra features and has made my games more stable. Scenarios where there would've been a 90% chance of CTD on loading the game, has no been reduced to 0 with SHC.
Tessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-10, 09:43 PM   #471
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by HW3 View Post
I turned it off because all of my men who got into bar fights, lost. I never had any who won the fights, and I got tired of my crew being laughed at and called wimps.

That JScones guy is such a loser! All that work and he couldn't even be bothered to put in a note that says "Stabsoberbootsman Bruckner entertains the crew with a tale of the three Sturmgruppe guys he whipped single-handed. Unfortunately Matrosenobergefreiter Schmidt doesn't believe him and says so, which leads to another fight! Dismiss Schmidt? Dismiss Bruckner? Assign one to peel cookie's potatoes for a week?"

What a lazy bum!
Old 09-03-10, 03:03 AM   #472
JScones
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessa View Post
I'm sorry if it sounded offensive or that I was trying to blame SHC for the problems...
Didn't think that at all, so nothing to apologise for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
That JScones guy is such a loser! All that work and he couldn't even be bothered to put in a note that says "Stabsoberbootsman Bruckner entertains the crew with a tale of the three Sturmgruppe guys he whipped single-handed. Unfortunately Matrosenobergefreiter Schmidt doesn't believe him and says so, which leads to another fight! Dismiss Schmidt? Dismiss Bruckner? Assign one to peel cookie's potatoes for a week?"

What a lazy bum!
LOL. My preferred option would be "hand over to the discipline WO to deal with, my head hurts".
JScones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-10, 09:22 AM   #473
P_Funk
Ocean Warrior

Some googling lead me a forum thread where someone had the same issues I had with Steam and SH3Cmndr and they said that once they used their disc version again it was solved. Definitely something about that Steam version that buggers up SH3 Commander.

This basically makes my steam version useless to me now.

Old 09-03-10, 10:02 AM   #474
JScones
Navy Seal

Hmmm, interesting. I thought people had got them working together. Maybe not.

A new DVD copy, patched and sans Starforce is only a few quid now.
Old 09-03-10, 10:27 AM   #475
P_Funk
Ocean Warrior

Perhaps they do have them working. It seems to only affect certain aspects, namely dates you start and the days spent in harbour. Crew transfers and patrol grids I read worked though I haven't tested this myself since my issues started with a new career and I haven't tried any other aspects. Assigned U-boat numbers also don't work it seems since I'd always get a different one and even type than the one I'd selected.

I still haven't read anyone's solution if there is one. It may also be intermittent or related to someone's unique machine or some other impossible to define characteristic. I recall it working for my first career but not my second. I'll fool around some more while trying to get another hard copy. Maybe I'll stumble on a fix but I don't have much hope at this point for the steam version.

The two progs seem to just not speak to each other properly (SH3 Commander and Steam SH3).

Old 09-10-10, 09:52 AM   #476
Tessa
Grey Wolf

A new 'feature' has been popping up that's beginning to get a bit annoying, did a forum search and nothing came up that was really useful. Inside SHC only 2 of the 5 officer's faces show up, this also happened with the last 2 officer faces mods I used (currently using one of the Das Boot (with beards) one). They show up ingame but won't inside the SHC gui.

I've tried changing the face variables in the SH3 crew career folder, either its another hard coded feature or am missing the key variable to (manually) change in order to force a face change (and hopefully show up inside SHC). Luckily there's only 1 face that's I want to 86, sadly he's not one of the two that are showing up inside SHC.

Is there a way to fix it so that (any) face will show up in a previously empty slot in SHC? If something shows up then I can easily change it, so far have had no luck in finding the manual variables which control them.

On a different subject, would it be possible to add in the functionality to demote officers, all the way down to the lowest seaman rank? On a previous patrol my CE had this nasty habit of going to flank speed whenever I changed my navigators course (where I had previously manually set my speed), despite that he would insist on gunning the engines even when surrounded by DD above. Of course I could just dismiss the guy, after such epic failures that nearly got me killed (and consequently massive hull damage so long repair times) I want to be able to humiliate him in front of the whole crew while I bust him all the way back down to E-1 (I always keep open PO and Sailor slots open for promotions upward and never sail with the max # of sailors the boat can hold) and keep him onboard as an 'example'.

Aside from the missing faces everything fixed itself after I nuked the last install and besides the glitch SHC has been performing like a champ again.
Old 09-11-10, 02:07 AM   #477
JScones
Navy Seal

Quote:
A new 'feature' has been popping up that's beginning to get a bit annoying, did a forum search and nothing came up that was really useful. Inside SHC only 2 of the 5 officer's faces show up, this also happened with the last 2 officer faces mods I used (currently using one of the Das Boot (with beards) one). They show up ingame but won't inside the SHC gui.

I've tried changing the face variables in the SH3 crew career folder, either its another hard coded feature or am missing the key variable to (manually) change in order to force a face change (and hopefully show up inside SHC). Luckily there's only 1 face that's I want to 86, sadly he's not one of the two that are showing up inside SHC.

Is there a way to fix it so that (any) face will show up in a previously empty slot in SHC? If something shows up then I can easily change it, so far have had no luck in finding the manual variables which control them.
A forum search would find the issue and problem.

Remove the alpha channel from the officer icon images. Stock images don't have them, yet for some reason some modders have added them to their modified images.

EDIT: Also keep in mind that SH3Cmdr only recognises existing (stock) file names in the ofaces folder, meaning that if mods add new filenames (ie Off047.tga) SH3Cmdr will ignore them.

Quote:
On a different subject, would it be possible to add in the functionality to demote officers, all the way down to the lowest seaman rank? On a previous patrol my CE had this nasty habit of going to flank speed whenever I changed my navigators course (where I had previously manually set my speed), despite that he would insist on gunning the engines even when surrounded by DD above. Of course I could just dismiss the guy, after such epic failures that nearly got me killed (and consequently massive hull damage so long repair times) I want to be able to humiliate him in front of the whole crew while I bust him all the way back down to E-1 (I always keep open PO and Sailor slots open for promotions upward and never sail with the max # of sailors the boat can hold) and keep him onboard as an 'example'.
No. No more SH3Cmdr. I was thinking about it, but I've changed my mind.

You can still demote within SH3-defined rank groupings though (officers, POs and men).

Last edited by JScones; 09-11-10 at 04:58 AM.
Old 09-12-10, 12:05 PM   #478
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 12

Hi,

I had a similar problem with one officer not showing up in SH3Commander after some time. He showed up fine in the beginning of the career and in the game, but at some point I noticed that he was gone (in the game I could still see him). I started a new career and he was there again. I think I 'lost' him after one of my Kaleuns retired and a new one took over the crew. At this point something screwed up I guess this problem is not connected to any alpha channel settings.

What would be great if there was another version of SH3Commander, would be a crush speed randomization. At the moment the crush depth randomization is not that effective because you can easily check the crush depth by diving slowly and quickly reduce your depth when you take damage. If you have a high crush speed, it's much more dangerous

Cheers, LGN1
LGN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-10, 03:09 AM   #479
Tessa
Grey Wolf

Quote:
A forum search would find the issue and problem.

Remove the alpha channel from the officer icon images. Stock images don't have them, yet for some reason some modders have added them to their modified images.

EDIT: Also keep in mind that SH3Cmdr only recognises existing (stock) file names in the ofaces folder, meaning that if mods add new filenames (ie Off047.tga) SH3Cmdr will ignore them.
Believe me, spent a good deal of time trying various search parameters to find a solution, thanks for offering one up; unfortunately in this set there aren't any alpha channels (checked in Photoshop and Gimp to be sure) and there are two officers that do show up, when I click left/right on either of them they will circle through the all the different portraits. Here's how the broken ones look:

And the working ones:

After finding the only semi-relevant thread from my searches about a missing repair officer I tried moving the officers into different compartments, it seemed for that particular problem that had an effect, in this case no change.

Next tried swapping one of the two working pictures numbers - i.e. changed the working one (#34) to a different one (#11) but to my surprise after loading (prior to doing so did a rollback, unloaded the mod in jgsme, made the file changes to the mod directly, re-added the mod, then started the game via shc) the same portrait came up! Which values does SHC grab for the portraits in order to display and change them? If changed manually outside of SHC and then they still load incorrectly it would appear that the missing portraits are a hidden feature in the game; with the only way then to possibly change them is to promote someone (believe that always gives the first portrait) or dismiss an officer go shopping in the barracks and hope he shows up properly.

Quote:
No. No more SH3Cmdr. I was thinking about it, but I've changed my mind.

You can still demote within SH3-defined rank groupings though (officers, POs and men).
Understandable. Guess I'll need to come out with a simple mod that puts in a big red button that reads "Demote to E-1", some particularly bad crewmen don't deserve dismissal and the honor of a Captain's Mast at sea
Old 09-14-10, 04:07 AM   #480
JScones
Navy Seal

You've installed SH3 into your Program Files folder and you are running what appears to be Win7.

Are you running SH3Cmdr and SH3 (and JSGME if using it) as administrator (as per page 3 of the User Guide)?

If not, start there first and fix that problem...

Tags
sh3 commander