SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-13-07, 09:12 PM   #121
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trefoil
I noticed you were going to make your depth tool draggable. I do use the draggable protractor tool a lot in your mod & have managed to drag it too close to the edge of the chart and been unable to retrieve it. An obvious & simple solution is, probably, not to drag the tool too close to the edge of the chart, but if you do want to make your mod idiot proof......
...then... what??? :rotfl:

What I mean is... I can't (by modding means) stop you from dragging it off the map, I'm afraid. You'll just have to be careful where you put it - sorry mate!

(p.s. if any modder is reading this and does know a way to stop it, let me know)

Quote:
Originally Posted by donw
...is there a step by step "Illustrated" manual out here anywhere?
Yes, Friedl9te wrote a good one - there is already a link to it in the first post of this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skookum
Hi OLC. A small request. Since it seems you're still adding little tid bits here and there to this excellent mod, is there any chance you might be willing to change the Symbolzoom variable in Maps.cfg to read "10" on future updates. Unless it interferes with something else of course. I'll be downloading each update as its released but, since I use a bearing ring mod, it would be nice to not have to edit this variable each time.

Please and Thank you.
I edited symbolzoom to prevent that big image with marked rings showing range/bearings coming up on the map. Learn to map-plot properly! :p j/k

Keep editing the file - or even better just make yourself a little JSGME mod to enable on top of mine - I won't be changing maps.cfg again

Quote:
Originally Posted by skookum
BTW I'm sure you're quite busy modding and would likely appreciate it if your workload were kept to a reasonable level. With your permission, I'd be willing to write a tutorial (with screenies) for those who would like a step by step guide to using this GUI (I'll probably write one anyways but won't release it till you give the nod).

PM if you like.
That'd be great! You can never have too many tutorials so thanks for the offer. Yes please go ahead and will put a link to it in the first post of this thread if you don't mind!

Finally, @Castout - thanks!
Old 11-13-07, 10:28 PM   #122
The Butcher
Loader

Downloads: 40
Uploads: 0
Default Bearing Wheel

I've watched the video several time and I'm still not getting the use of the bearing wheel. The targeting part I've got down okay. Do you know of an English version of printed instructions. The one from Friedl9te's link is in German. I really like the layout and how well thought out the controls are. I'm using it on SH3 1.4b.
The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-07, 10:33 PM   #123
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

v1.1.3 update posted on FF

The local time issue is proving more difficult than I imagined, so I'm posting this version without that fix - I'll have another go at it soon.

This update includes:
  • Flaggen chart added to binocular view.
  • Flaggen chart brightness reduced to lessen night-time contrast (in both screens).
  • Draggable quick/approximate depth-by-colour tool added to navmap.
  • Fixed right-clicking on the WE/NA (or on their icons).
  • Lower memory requirements for the mod (may help with frame rates and/or stability on some machines).
  • Miscellaneous cosmetic tweaks.
Cheers,
OLC
Old 11-13-07, 10:45 PM   #124
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Butcher
I've watched the video several time and I'm still not getting the use of the bearing wheel. The targeting part I've got down okay. Do you know of an English version of printed instructions. The one from Friedl9te's link is in German. I really like the layout and how well thought out the controls are. I'm using it on SH3 1.4b.
Friedl9te's instructions are in English.

You must be clicking the link in his sig instead.

Anyway his tutorial doesn't cover the attack disc. Is that what you're talking about when you say "bearing wheel"? If so, you could look at the instructions in the U-Jagd Tools mod, which is where it comes from. It has been implemented slightly differently in my GUI but the principles are the same. Search for "Jagd" in this forum and you'll find it quickly.
Old 11-13-07, 11:09 PM   #125
The Butcher
Loader

Downloads: 40
Default Attack Disk

Yes the attack disc. I downloaded the Jagd instructions, I'll see if that helps. Also loaded your update. Keep up the good work, it's clear everybody appreciates it. The realism adds to the experience. This is the first game I've played like this, definately hooked.
The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-07, 11:27 PM   #126
KronosMT
Swabbie

Downloads: 9

For those that may be having trouble with the attack disc, there is an alternate method of calculating the target's course and speed. (Manually). Take a range reading from your watch officer and note both the range and bearing. (Start your stopwatch here). Use the protractor with the pivot at your ship, and make the bearing marking just like in the tutorial. Draw a line from that pivot point to the range estimated by your watch officer, make a mark at the end there. (just like was done in the tutorial with the small tanker). Once thats done, wait a specified number of minutes.. I use 5, get range and bearing again from your watch officer (Stop the stopwatch here) and do your drawings again, making a second mark. Then just draw a line between the two, and it will give you both speed and course of your target. If you use anything other than 3.15 minutes, you must use the conversion chart that comes with GWX 1.03, or do the math conversion km to knots. If you use 3 minutes 15 seconds, then distance = knots.

The attack disc allows you to get the target course in one measurement, while the manual method gets you both with 2. Rinse and repeat to refine or check for accuracy.

If you're in periscope view, obviously do the range manually, and note your degree's in periscope view. (bearing.) Taking these steps further you can actually plot a spot to attack your target at a pre-arranged position, which allows you to have all your data, including AoB, set before you even raise the periscope. (basically leading the target.)
KronosMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-07, 11:55 PM   #127
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifecrisis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trefoil
Great mod!! - Like the way you've added the Flaggen chart to the Observation scope. Would it be possible to have it added also to the binoculars view, if this is technically possible?
Hi mate, yes it's possible, I'll add it to 1.1.3
I'd like to have it on the UZO since it allows us to do surface attack. Is this featured yet in 1.1.3?
Very cool mod:hmm:Thx OLC

What's up with subsim's avatar? seems out of place LOL
Old 11-14-07, 12:20 AM   #128
jmr
Commander

Downloads: 62

Hmmm I seem to be having a bit of a problem. v1.1.0 ran fine for me but when I uninstalled it and installed 1.1.3 I'm now getting a single digit frame rate in game. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Running the latest version of JSGME and GWX 1.03

edit: Just noticed a little white rectangle in the lower left hand corner of my screen. It looks like my in game clock is missing.

Last edited by jmr; 11-14-07 at 12:38 AM.
jmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-07, 03:46 AM   #129
skookum
Weps

Downloads: 35

Here it is folks. Another quick reference Tutorial for basic targeting using OLC's new GUI. Doesn't cover the attack wheel or short range ops (zoom only). But should be concise enough for anyone to follow along while in the game. (BTW small typo. Text should read "hair under 7 knots" not 8 knots).

MS Word (.DOC)

It's the only file in the room at the moment.

"OLC GUI Quick Reference ge"

http://hosted.filefront.com/skookum/

Enjoy!

Last edited by skookum; 11-14-07 at 03:59 AM.
skookum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-07, 07:11 AM   #130
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Quote:
Yep, that's exactly why I asked - I was used to checking my local time in stock 1.4b, but in your mod I could only see the one time so wondered where you'd moved the other one to!

I prefer to use local time out at sea as it makes more sense with the day/night cycles, but always handy to have GMT too (which I'm sure the main clock shows, since when starting at, say, Wilhelmshaven, your local time is 1 hour ahead of the main time shown in the GUI). Not sure daylight-savings time is included in the game.

Hope it's easy to put the local time back in! Good luck
Just so you know. If you read up on threads about celestial navigation in sh3 (like the Real Navigation mod) you'll find that one of the two clocks works a bit funky/buggy. Atleast not ressembling real-life procedures. I am not sure which, but in one the hour flips 1 ahead or back when you cross certain longitude degrees (middle of timezone actually... 7.5, 22.5, 37.5,.. degrees longitude etc.), and change when loading a savegame. I'm still too much of a SH3 newb to even try my hand at deadreckoning navigation or having an invisible uboot icon on the map to try those mods. But I do have a weak spot for navigation and what's up there above the clouds so I probably wil try eventually. I just hope OLC's mod likes to merge with those then.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-07, 07:36 AM   #131
Einsman
Engineer

Location: In one place in the Atlantic, say A Coruña, Galiza (Spain)
Downloads: 187

skookum, thank you very much for your tutorial.!!!

Very didactic.

Downloaded and printing
Einsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-07, 08:56 AM   #132
Turm
Engineer

Downloads: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces
Just so you know. If you read up on threads about celestial navigation in sh3 (like the Real Navigation mod) you'll find that one of the two clocks works a bit funky/buggy.
Didn't know that, but will bear it in mind for the future if/when I try manual navigation. I would like to try it but it will need some time invested. Also, my patrols seem to take me weeks to complete as it is - I don't need a way to make them longer!

OLC, I have another question Often the obs scope seems to 'follow' the attack scope. For example, if I raise the attack scope and lock it to a ship, then switch to the obs scope and raise it, I'll find it's also locked to the same ship. If I then move the attack scope, unlock it and point it at a new ship, then switch back to the obs scope, it's also pointing at that new ship. Is this behaviour intentional?

Sometimes the scopes don't end up pointing in the same direction, but haven't tested enough to figure out in which conditions it happens (or doesn't happen). I'm at work now so can't check. I don't have the very latest update yet.

To be honest, it's not exactly a problem - only noticed due to the many practices I had in the torpedo training mission where ships are in all different directions. I got a little disorientated when I switched to the obs scope to watch the fireworks and found it had moved from where I last left it. It might actually be a help when attacking a single ship or a convoy (unless you're in the middle of it!).
Turm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-07, 09:06 AM   #133
cuervo111
Watch

Downloads: 62

Absolutely fantastic mod!! Time to go 100% realism

donw, maybe this may be useful to you. I had the same problem, but instead of waiting for a printed tutorial I decided to run SH3 in windowed mode. If you have 2 monitors as I have, you can play the video on one screen and the simulation on the other, so you can try the training mission yourself as you watch the tutorial. You can even pause the video or repeat some part without having to exit the simulation or switch task.

I learned fast and easy that way. I hope it helps!

Last edited by cuervo111; 11-14-07 at 09:27 AM.
cuervo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-07, 10:06 AM   #134
skookum
Weps

Downloads: 35

Hey, how do you run SH# in windowed mode. I thought it supported fulscreen only?!
skookum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-07, 10:08 AM   #135
donw
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo111
If you have 2 monitors as I have, you can play the video on one screen and the simulation on the other
Lucky Guy!! but alas no...I do not. However Skookum was kind enough to make what appears to be exactly what I was looking for, especially the zoomed in shots of the rec manual, so I can easily see where the numbers are gained from, and where to "input" them within the wheel.

Great Job Skook! and awesome Mod OLC!
donw is offline   Reply With Quote