SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-14-07, 08:36 PM   #166
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171
Uploads: 0

Hi RB, just wondering if & when you are going to experiment with the zones file?

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-07, 08:37 PM   #167
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece
Hi RB, just wondering if & when you are going to experiment with the zones file?
What would you like for me to try and do with it?
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-07, 11:21 PM   #168
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Since a lot of the damage model is there including hollywood mod I asumed you would have tweaked this for your effects mod, twas just a thought though!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-07, 01:15 AM   #169
skookum
Weps

Downloads: 35

Racerboy

I've been following the progress of this mod and I have a couple of questions:

1. It isn't entirely clear to me if this mod upgrades the water reflections of the boats themselves in the water (as opposed to just the explosions and smoke) or if boat reflections are enabled by a separate mod (someone mentioned Reece's environment mod. Are they compatable? And where can I find it?).

2. When do you sleep?

Thanks for the phenomenal eye candy!!!
skookum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-07, 02:12 AM   #170
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Well I just figured out how to use a controller that I found in one of the .act files in the \Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII folder. This controller lets me add time delays to events. I have since added time delayed events to the fire_small event. They are:

these time delays start accruing time as soon as the fire_small is visible (and these apply to EACH fire_small that pops up )

- a time delay of 15 seconds that when expired causes a Small_crewmans_splinter_explosion01 event (bodies and debris in the air - morbid yes but great eye-candy!!). Thinking here is first responders to the fire and explosion happens right after fire starts
- a time delay of 45 seconds that when expired causes a Splinter_crewmans_explosion01 (more bodies and debris in the air). My thinking on this was that the crew is trying to fight the fire and while doing so a seconday explosion happens.
- a time delay of 120 seconds that when expired causes a Splinter_crewmans_explosion01 event and then 1 second after that a Small_splinter_explosion event. Thinking here is fire has been raging for 2 minutes and combustibles got hot and exploded for a terciary explosion while crew was fighting fire.

I had to add new sounds to the Small_crewmans_splinter_explosion01 (tied bomb_explosion to it) and Splinter_crewmans_explosion01 (tied splinter_explosion) to it as no sounds existed for them.
This mod is shaping up rather nicely now!!

Will work on others tomorrow and specifically new time delayed events to torpedo explosion.
Old 09-15-07, 02:15 AM   #171
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by skookum
Racerboy

I've been following the progress of this mod and I have a couple of questions:

1. It isn't entirely clear to me if this mod upgrades the water reflections of the boats themselves in the water (as opposed to just the explosions and smoke) or if boat reflections are enabled by a separate mod (someone mentioned Reece's environment mod. Are they compatable? And where can I find it?).

2. When do you sleep?

Thanks for the phenomenal eye candy!!!
1) Ship and sub reflections are handled in their respective .dat files (normally)
2) I get 8-12 hours sleep everyday!

Glad you're enjoying this new eye candy. I know I sure am. It's only going to get better.......
Old 09-15-07, 02:50 AM   #172
Adriatico
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife
Well, I tested this on a freighter loaded with ammunition and I was blown away (pun intended). I have a request - Racerboy, can we please have a lot of secondary explosions after you hit a ship? One of the things I liked about Silent Hunter 2 was that you would randomly hear several explosions minutes or even hours after you torpedoed a ship. These explosion effects simply put the original graphics to shame, so I'd like to see a nice big fireball pop up from time to time as a ship goes down - maybe it could represent different tank sections or ammo lockers detonating in sequence. I understand it's a lot of work, and if you could spend time on this (or point me in the right direction) I'd be grateful.
A most brilliant idea! Plus it gives me an excuse to play with an effects controller I haven't used yet. I will see what I can do.
Hey boys, don't get too trigger happy!
There should be clear distinction between simulator and eye candy...at least in GWX.
Secondary explosions need:
- reasonable distribution
- reasonable intensity

Pls, keep in mind:
- Most of the "war effort" ship-loads did not have any explosive cargo
- Even within warships, most of the "ammo" was professionally stored in special chambers
- Some of war ammo and explosives need special ignition to explode, not just rising temperature next door or below deck
- Heavy flooding and temeperature&fire - are opposing effects...

These are realy nice visuals, but within real convoy warfare secondary explosions where quite a rare case...
Adriatico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-07, 06:57 AM   #173
JCWolf
Admiral

Downloads: 199
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriatico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife
Well, I tested this on a freighter loaded with ammunition and I was blown away (pun intended). I have a request - Racerboy, can we please have a lot of secondary explosions after you hit a ship? One of the things I liked about Silent Hunter 2 was that you would randomly hear several explosions minutes or even hours after you torpedoed a ship. These explosion effects simply put the original graphics to shame, so I'd like to see a nice big fireball pop up from time to time as a ship goes down - maybe it could represent different tank sections or ammo lockers detonating in sequence. I understand it's a lot of work, and if you could spend time on this (or point me in the right direction) I'd be grateful.
A most brilliant idea! Plus it gives me an excuse to play with an effects controller I haven't used yet. I will see what I can do.
Hey boys, don't get too trigger happy!
There should be clear distinction between simulator and eye candy...at least in GWX.
Secondary explosions need:
- reasonable distribution
- reasonable intensity

Pls, keep in mind:
- Most of the "war effort" ship-loads did not have any explosive cargo
- Even within warships, most of the "ammo" was professionally stored in special chambers
- Some of war ammo and explosives need special ignition to explode, not just rising temperature next door or below deck
- Heavy flooding and temeperature&fire - are opposing effects...

These are realy nice visuals, but within real convoy warfare secondary explosions where quite a rare case...
There it is guys...

Someone finaly had this small detail cleared,
and explained...

Secondary explos. yes but please not everytime and with every ship!
Anyway like Reece said a post above, RB I think it's gona be dificult
to improve your last version!

Also a small note, is there any chance to adapte the small Particules
tweacked file that Urfishe released and make it work toghether with
your Mod, I think is wind effect on the smoke is very cool, if it's not
possible for the forced wind isue you have mentioned please
forget this ...

This is a great improvement on the so called eye candy, for me is just
getting the SHII perfect and more real....

Beautifull work RB and we should thank you with our hartes , brilliant
job Mate!

We need guys like you brother!

JCWolf Mediafire SHIII Page

User name : JCWolf
Password : stefre@jcm
JCWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-07, 12:10 PM   #174
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

As there is no random controller (that I'm aware of) for adding any kind of randomness and time delayed events I add will always come to be, let me ask you all then what should we have for time delayed events? Given these events, what would you like to see added to them:

- torpedo_great_explosion (torpedo impact explosion)
- Fire_small (the small fires and smoke)
- Fire_big (the big fires and smoke)
- Shell_fire_explosion (deck gun shell impact)
- Oil_explosion (oil explosion, fire and smoke)
- Oil_spot (the oil slick left behind by a sinking ship)

Use S3D editor to view particles.dat file for all the events available if there's one you would like to see something added to that I didn't mention above.
Old 09-15-07, 12:16 PM   #175
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwolf
Also a small note, is there any chance to adapte the small Particules
tweacked file that Urfishe released and make it work toghether with
your Mod, I think is wind effect on the smoke is very cool, if it's not
possible for the forced wind isue you have mentioned please
forget this ...
Adding 'fake' wind is easy to do. The problem lies with it not being realistic by any means. You could have a ship on a heading of 90 with a wind direction from 00 @ 12 knots (blowing south) and if I forced fake wind that always blew to the port side of the ship then you'd still have smoke blowing to the port side even though we have winds from 00 @ 12 knots. How realistic would that be? Currently the 'straight up' is the best compromise for realism. I have not abandoned trying to make it wind affected.
Old 09-15-07, 12:41 PM   #176
JCWolf
Admiral

Downloads: 199
Uploads: 1

All you have mentioned of the FX above , and if possible
cause do know if it is, some waves movement around the sinking ships!

As for the wind I was calling on your expertise to get that done,
cause I understood a previouse post from you about the fake wind
and unrealistic aproach of it!

I trust your hands!

JCWolf Mediafire SHIII Page

User name : JCWolf
Password : stefre@jcm
JCWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-07, 01:10 PM   #177
skookum
Weps

Downloads: 35

Quote:
1) Ship and sub reflections are handled in their respective .dat files (normally)
Sorry, I don't have much experience with the SH3/4 file structure (I am a consumate JSGMEer). I also apologize if this is slightly off topic, but you seem like a knowlegable bunch and I figured it would be an easy answer. I guess what I'm asking is this:

What mod do I need to get those killer player U-boat reflections (what's the most popular mod?) and is it compatable with the SH4 effects porting that Raceyboy is developing here?
skookum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-07, 02:49 PM   #178
3Jane
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0

Well, after four more days of storms, I see a C&D which I thought would make a nice bang. It did and I think I have seen some of the new effects. Unfortunately all my good sinkings were before I installed the mod. Think I will have to wait until the next tour as I only have three torpedos left. Ah well, ah well.

C&D

Fate opposes me in vitality and morality, forced ever onward, burdened, always in shackles.
So this very moment, without tarrying, pluck the quivering strings. Because fate punishes the one who plays, all lament with me.

(http://hosted.filefront.com/KatherineRowan)
3Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-07, 04:10 PM   #179
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by skookum
What mod do I need to get those killer player U-boat reflections (what's the most popular mod?) and is it compatable with the SH4 effects porting that Raceyboy is developing here?
What you're probably looking for is Reece's SHIV scene for SH3:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=117628

This will enhance the reflections and all. It is fully compatible with what I am developing here.
Old 09-15-07, 04:32 PM   #180
wildchild
Chief

Downloads: 0

not the place to ask this but @RB are you doing any more flag mod for the IX are the duck