SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-18-07, 06:05 AM   #91
Uber Gruber
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I'd be happy to render the OBS scope useless in order to have a sextant. No reply from the scope modders so far, might be an idea to list exactly what needs to be done and then PM them.
Old 06-18-07, 10:26 AM   #92
Mav87th
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Heh ÜberGruber

I am the guy that mods the view angles - so in the cameras.dat department we are ready to go.

What is needed is a new graphical overlay with tickmarks (one for every degree would be preferable) that covers 45~50 degrees. Depending on what we want to run with.

Ill toss a cameras.dat file together tonight with an altered Observationsscope.
Old 06-18-07, 01:41 PM   #93
don1reed
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 910
Uploads: 0

Mav:

Drive safely.

We're waiting patiently.

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

~ George Orwell
don1reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-07, 01:12 AM   #94
Mav87th
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

In order not to screw you guys...

Would any of you know what Angular Angle you have on the Conning Deck view in you cameras.dat file........

If i make a file from mine, where it is altered to 60 from 75 then i think your printed sextants (if you use such) will be FUBAR.

I have made one file with the angular angle of any outside view i can think of set to 60 (this is what is giving the best look and feel imo, and it gives larger details as the heaven is not compressed so much). This file is ready for upload - should you desire it.
Old 06-19-07, 06:49 AM   #95
don1reed
Ace of the Deep

Well done, Mav.

I'd like to try it, sil vous plait.

Tnx,

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

~ George Orwell
Old 06-19-07, 01:48 PM   #96
Mav87th
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

OK - its up for useage on this spot

http://files.filefront.com/EXPERIMEN.../fileinfo.html

WARNING - its a modded cameras.dat file from my cameras mod. That meens that the attack scope and internal cameras have been altered. The external cameras have a AA on 60 deg. (most fittable for a real eysight that has 57,265 deg's of angular angle (or Field of View in deg's)

The angular angle for the observationsscope has been set to 45 deg. - this should enable us to use the scope in two positions to cover the full 90 deg's. AKA the new overlay would need 45 markers on the lens in order to cover the needed field. I have no idea how much a factor image distortion is playing in - but that will have to be of later work. With 60 deg of Angular Angle it looks like (in 1280x980) that there is next to no distortion in the center of the screen.
Old 06-19-07, 02:01 PM   #97
CaptainCox
Sea Lord

Downloads: 4

If someone could at least post a pic of what you imagine the sextant to look like in the OBS Scope i am sure it would be easier to do the graphical overlay. Right now I am sort a As i never really got in to the "hard core" side of playing the game (manual navigation and what have you) Did not Vanjast try to do a sextant mod when SH4 came out...?
Old 06-19-07, 02:05 PM   #98
Mav87th
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

The observations scope image as it is - only 45 deviders verticaly

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

and so on.....
Old 06-19-07, 02:35 PM   #99
CaptainCox
Sea Lord

Downloads: 4

Ahhh ok...Right now I am totally worked out from RL work :p
If no one beats me to it, I might give it a go towards the week end.
Best guy for this one would be l3th4l, but as I said, i have a look at it later in the week.
Old 06-19-07, 02:52 PM   #100
Beery
Admiral

Location: Silver Spring, MD, USA (but still a Yorkshireman at heart - tha can allus tell a Yorkshireman...)
Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Gruber
I've been following this topic with great interest and I agree that having the OBS scope modded to act like a sextant would be very cool. Might be an idea to ask l3th4l or CaptainCox to take a look into this as they have produced some decent scope mods so far.
I agree. I've been watching this thread too. Sextant navigation would be the ultimate in realism as far as I'm concerned. l3th4l or CaptainCox might be able to get us a sextant on the obs scope and I know for sure that the obs scope can be adjusted to have the elevation we need (if it doesn't already go to 90 degrees).

After that we'd have to make some tables for players and explain how to navigate using a sextant. But the big problem would be that the charts in the game start centred on the sub and there are other navigational aids that are automatically entered on the map too. I guess we could avoid using the game's chart and have a set of hard copy charts, but that might be expensive. The best option would be to somehow stop the game from centering in on the player's sub and to remove all the stuff that automatically shows the sub's position.

"Anyrooad up, ah'll si thi"
- Missen.
Beery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-07, 02:59 PM   #101
Beery
Admiral

Location: Silver Spring, MD, USA (but still a Yorkshireman at heart - tha can allus tell a Yorkshireman...)
Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Gruber
I'd be happy to render the OBS scope useless in order to have a sextant. No reply from the scope modders so far, might be an idea to list exactly what needs to be done and then PM them.
I agree. In my opinion the obs scope is already useless precisely because it can't be used as a sextant. If a sextant was added to it I'm sure I'd start using it a lot more.

"Anyrooad up, ah'll si thi"
- Missen.
Beery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-07, 09:25 AM   #102
don1reed
Ace of the Deep

...another thing that would be beneficial towards advancing the realism aspect of celestial navigation within the sim is to add a second hand sweep to the onboard chronometer. I know there's one that functions like a stopwatch but I'm talking about one that works that shows the seconds between the minutes...always running.

What I've been doing, and others too, I'm sure, is having a real world stopwatch or digital watch nearby to time the seconds when the game changes on the minutes. Every 4 seconds = 1 m.o.a. or 1 n.m. so, just using the onboard watch can automatically put the navigator 15 n.m. off from the get-go. Some of us have already discovered this when using the SR/SS tables for predicting Longitude.

~ George Orwell

Last edited by don1reed; 06-20-07 at 09:44 AM.
Old 06-20-07, 11:52 AM   #103
Mav87th
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Im using the sim stopwatch in conjunction with the onboard watch. Starting it as the onboard BASE TIME changes minutes. This gives pretty good seconds that even last if you use up to (tested) x2048.

With regards to the file i have uploaded. I have measured that one screen height here gives 45 deg. Im not sure if its linier or if there is some distortion.

I have not been able to scale the "old trusty" graphic for Vanjast's nav mod of the Sextant to anything usefull. It's either "off" on the low degree's or the high degree's. And as this sextant is non-linier it leeds me to belive that the uploaded Cameras.dat file's Angular Angle settings are pretty linier in usage on 1280x980 resolution.

Right now im trying to make a draggable sextant, but running into the wall of "no draggable stuff" born for SH-4 yet - AND im not that smart. So im trying to mimic the noteboard or the stopwatch or the message field or what not.

DEV's ----- PLEASE LET US KNOW HOW TO MAKE A DRAGGABLE "THING"....
Old 06-20-07, 11:52 AM   #104
sqk7744
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav87th
--

Great Thread Gents!

Ah longitude and the celestial sky.
sqk7744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-07, 04:49 PM   #105
don1reed
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Im using the sim stopwatch in conjunction with the onboard watch.
Ok. I'll try your method, but, what I was looking for was a time-piece with hr/min/sec all in one unit, like a real pocket watch.

~ George Orwell