SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-16-13, 08:09 AM   #16
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhapprich View Post
ok, having changed some values of the original torpedospawnfx, i managed to make the launcher run smooth. it is now possible to make all the existing torpedolaunchers of the ai ships actually work+ i modified the k-gun so there is the possibility to launch torpedos on submerged targets. ill make an upload asap, currently on another pc.

Very nice, look forward to checking it out.Would be nice to have Elco and IJN PT boats, DD's etc launching torpedoes accurately.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-13, 01:04 PM   #17
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Downloads: 298
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Very nice, look forward to checking it out.Would be nice to have Elco and IJN PT boats, DD's etc launching torpedoes accurately.
That would make the Guadalcanal battles more realistic.
Admiral Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-13, 07:15 PM   #18
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Quote:
great news! i finally managed to make thedarkwraith`s torpedo spawner fire DIRECTLY and RELIABLY at the target! found it out while adding the torpedo spawn effect to a k-gun as firing effect.when the enemy lunched its depthcharge run at me , the AI-Torpedo was launched heading directly towards my sub all the time,however it would go very slowly,floating on the water surface so its propeller was useless(any idea to solve this,polyfiller?).BUT i then had the idea not to make a torpedogun that used ashell as origin for the torpedolauncheffect, but simply adding a dummy shell with 0damage to an existing gun and make the torpedospawnfx the firing effect instead of the muzzle flash. voila, i was sunk all the times, and i ran 15 knots surfaced. guessing that an AI Elco would run much faster itself, it would blow eg. the Yamato to hell without launching dud torpedos all day and mybe one would hit. sozund out it does not work for himng torpedoes.they will be launched and run towards me,but behave like unguided, meaning they go on a straight course but you can see the torpedo itself turning towards your propellor. if i can unlock the alignment of trhe launched torpedo from the initial vector of the particle generator, guided torpedoes will work as well!!!!
Question - do your modified torpedoes gradually sink after launch? This has been a longstanding problem with the AI torpedoes, and while experimenting with the original mod I had to make torpedoes run at about 70 knots or give them a very short range - otherwise they would gradually run too deep to hit anything. Just wondering if you know what causes this.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-13, 09:50 PM   #19
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
great news! i finally managed to make thedarkwraith`s torpedo spawner fire DIRECTLY and RELIABLY at the target!
Excellent work!
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-13, 04:33 AM   #20
jhapprich
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

they run straight WITHOUT descending, which is controled by the particle generator. currently, i have added a new type93 double launcher to the guns_radars.dat that fires one torpedo at a time and is assigned to a M*-node class "cannon". to add the launcher to an existing ship, you need to edit the *.dat and *.sim. the T*-nodes need to be renamed M*, and you have to add the corresponding obj_turret to the sim. in the *.equ-file, the T*-entry must be reassigned "M*",and the "Torpedolauncher93double" will replace the connected weapon. i will upload the file today, and there will be a demo-mission with a Permit-class lookalike Black Swan with both torpedo launchers for surface and submerged combat. there will also be the single files necessary for the ship editing only,no further modding by me.this way, you will have the opportunity to edit the stock ships and to implement the launcher in your own mods.ps don`t get this wrong, but personally i am particulary happy having solved this, for now i am able to moke ai-subs a real threat in the cold war mod. thanks thedarkwraith for the initial idea!ps anyone knows how to make screenshots in win7? wanted to add pictures, but print screen wont work...hmmm
Old 10-19-13, 06:00 AM   #21
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
they run straight WITHOUT descending, which is controled by the particle generator. currently, i have added a new type93 double launcher to the guns_radars.dat that fires one torpedo at a time and is assigned to a M*-node class "cannon". to add the launcher to an existing ship, you need to edit the *.dat and *.sim. the T*-nodes need to be renamed M*, and you have to add the corresponding obj_turret to the sim. in the *.equ-file, the T*-entry must be reassigned "M*",and the "Torpedolauncher93double" will replace the connected weapon. i will upload the file today, and there will be a demo-mission with a Permit-class lookalike Black Swan with both torpedo launchers for surface and submerged combat. there will also be the single files necessary for the ship editing only,no further modding by me.this way, you will have the opportunity to edit the stock ships and to implement the launcher in your own mods.ps don`t get this wrong, but personally i am particulary happy having solved this, for now i am able to moke ai-subs a real threat in the cold war mod. thanks thedarkwraith for the initial idea!ps anyone knows how to make screenshots in win7? wanted to add pictures, but print screen wont work...hmmm
Absolutely amazing.So could add this to the AI subs in TMO RSRD?
Old 10-19-13, 07:01 AM   #22
jhapprich
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

jap. here is the download. there is a german singlemission called "Fubuki vs Convoy" to demonstrate the launcher.the running depth of the aitorpedo depends on the firing angle of the "barrel" of the launcher, i.e. if you want it to go deeper, you need to open the ships *.sim and lower the elevation angle of the turret and its firing sector.

link: http://www.gamefront.com/files/23782...dolauncher.zip

Last edited by jhapprich; 10-19-13 at 07:26 AM.
Old 10-20-13, 01:01 AM   #23
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Amazing!
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-13, 08:47 AM   #24
polyfiller
Weps

Downloads: 40

jhapprich - can we compare notes on how accurate you managed to get the torpedoes - I had to mess around with mounting the torpspan launcher onto dummy turrets - to try and get the launcher to lead targets by enough to enable the torps to have some chance of hitting - issues I had to try and work around are;

1) limiting the torp launcher gun to short range - otherwise the Ai insists on trying to launch from a long way out with disaterous accuracy. No real solution - I changed AI to only spot targets at short range, but, of course, this buggers up apsects of the game when you want the AI to engage at long ranges (destroyers and cruisers mostly).

2) I played around with different turret configurations and error angles to enable a "spread" launch - again this helps substantially with accuracy at fater / longer range targets.

If you show me your settings, I'll share mine.

For AI subs, as stated before, I found it best to create subs at multiple different depths, all with the launches mounted above water level (oterhwise AI won't fire them) ... so multiple AI sub models, each at different depth and launcher mount points at different heights above the main sub model.

I never had an issue with AI torps sinking - strange .... if anyting the ones I use (original credit to Drakfish) seemed to skip along the surface too much.

Sounds like we've all made promising progress. What I'm playing with right now is multiple depth charge models (they are configured as torpedoes so you can laucnh from rear tubes) - so that I can depth charge at different depths.... although was also going to play with different magnetic pistol settings to see if that can dispense with the need for different depth charge configurations.

Did you use homing torps for the Ai torps ? If so, did you modify an existing torp or use one of the pre-configured homing torp types ?
polyfiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-13, 08:49 AM   #25
polyfiller
Weps

Downloads: 40

Also forgot to mention I plaan to release a "development version" of the TSWSM soon - substantially unfinished in terms of campaign setup, but a mod with the base usints and featurs which others can help build campains for.... am currently learnig how to configure patrols within campaing - just created my first mission - to assist with operation Dynamo - objectives to rescuse folk from sea and shoot down Stukka's :-)
polyfiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-13, 12:50 PM   #26
jhapprich
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

hmm,not much to compare...on a stopped target its 100%. i tried something yesterday and made the destroyers invulnerable, furthermore i deletet the normal gun turrets, so they only had the torpedos for the convoy attack in the demo mission, and they killed every vessel within a few minutes. most of the time was waiting for the impact. also, on a moving target, you just need to set the torpedos speed a little higher, which will greatly improve the accuracy. found it out when i changed the aitorpedo from mk 14 to soviet shqual(200knots).working on an AI ALFA now.
Old 10-20-13, 12:54 PM   #27
jhapprich
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

polyfiller, just read your post carefully. to make it simple, my launcher works a lot different than what you are using, and so do my ai submarines. we are talking about totally different ways to solve these things. have a lokk at my launcher, downloadlink below, amd youll see. i repeat, this is not thedarkwraith`s torpedospawngun anymore. ps would be really interested in seeing your ai launched homing torpedos work.
Old 10-21-13, 08:31 AM   #28
jhapprich
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

you want some fun? add the SSN-15 Cruise missile to the torpedospawnfx and change the reload time of the launcher from 10s to 2 s,voila-you made a battlestar. besides, this is what i meant about the accuracy and the speed. launching those things, the destroyers in the (guess what) demo mission sink the whole convoy without getting sunk themselves.
Old 10-21-13, 08:55 AM   #29
jhapprich
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

the launcher effect even works with player controlled guns. we will have useable launchers on playable ships now!
Old 10-21-13, 01:11 PM   #30
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Great work, going to give this a try tonight. Do you have this working on AI US or Japanese/German submarines yet?