Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-01-19, 06:22 AM   #1
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 3
Default Did I just witness...

...a Polish sub torpedoing German task force?

Baltic Operations, 1.09.2019, I spot Schleswig-Holstein training battleship with 2 destroyers. While looking at them through binoculars (still only stacks and superstructure visible over horizon), suddenly there's an explosion on one of the destroyers. I assumed they were duking it out with Polish destroyers that were supposed to be in area, but after approaching I haven't found any Polish DD.

What I did find was a hydro contact, fast sounding screw but apparently very slowly following German task force. Nothing was visible on surface in this direction though.
kapuhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-19, 11:20 PM   #2
GeneralDeath99
Seaman

Downloads: 142
Uploads: 0

Yes, most likely they did get attacked by a Polish sub. I remember once during a new playthrough I ended up spotting a sub. in the area and even ended up sink it it after many tries. It turned out to be a Polish sub.
GeneralDeath99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-19, 04:33 AM   #3
n3uro
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

you mean this one?

i found it the other day in the same AO and similar circumstances. It didn't engage the german surface group (which i also had lurking about), but i stumbled on it while patrolling, and managed to take a pic. It definitely looks like a british U-class, one of which was passed on to poland (although much later, around the end of 1940). I had assumed it was a british sub keeping an eye on things but it might represent some other earlier polish model in game. Or maybe it is indeed a british sub but was engaged by mistake by german ships in your game?
Old 04-02-19, 05:41 AM   #4
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

The results when you watch AI units are unpredictable, it's totally possible that the german units get attacked by planes or subs. Yes, there are polish subs in the aerea, I have spotted isolated ones more times, they are very hard to shoot and sink, so I will refrain next time, it's a vaste of torpedos...
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-19, 01:16 PM   #5
Mussalo
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3uro View Post
you mean this one?
Wow that is a creepy picture!
Old 04-03-19, 02:39 AM   #6
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 3

Nice picture n3uro! Reminds me of stories of nuclear submarines stalking each other during Cold War...

And yes, the U-Class subs in Baltic Operations represent 5 Polish submarines that historically were there as part of Plan Worek. These were not really U-Class subs of course but Silent Hunter 5 lacks models for any other Allied submarine.
kapuhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-19, 10:05 AM   #7
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Default welcome aboard!

Klonest! & WELCOME BACK: N3URO!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 04-03-19 at 01:15 PM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote