Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-16-19, 07:07 AM   #1
Cavs
Nub

Downloads: 11
Uploads: 0
Default Torpedo Question!

Hello hello!

Long time lurker, and I have a question about my torpedoes... I have searched and can't find the exact answer for want of looking, but apologies if this is somewhere else. There is such a wealth of information it is fantastic but sometimes overwhelming!

So I am playing SH5, updated (as it's via Steam) and I'm using TWOS version 2.2.9. I've been back and forth with the mod and reinstalled a few times (fresh installs), but through the help of this forum finally worked out the jist of the mod - hey I've even used Enigma to decode messages! And I've finally realised how Auto TDC works - I will eventually give manual targeting a go.

My question - why the hell do so many of my torpedoes go straight under my target? It's like they pass straight through the vessel. This is using Auto TDC, where i lock onto the target, then unlock so it adjusts the torpedo line. I guess this could happen - so am I doing something wrong when I'm aiming? I was chasing a warship last night, perfect shot, on target, but the torpedo just kept going. Is this because I'm submerged? I managed to sink some Merchant vessels whilst on the surface. It might be my complete lack of knowledge but any advice or historical/practical guidance would be most welcome.

Thank you in advance!
Cavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-19, 11:28 AM   #2
Skarmy
Mate

Downloads: 43

Are you setting the depth of your torpedo?
Skarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-19, 12:12 PM   #3
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

Several factors can occur that you may not realize:

1) You set your torpedoes too deep.

2) Set your torpedoes to go under target but forgot to set my pistol to magnetic.

3) Set your torpedoes perfect, but the waves are so big, the swell raised the target up and over the torpedo.

4) Torpedo hit, but it was a dud. Game should have notified you or you heard the “dud sound”.

Yesterday I shot 3 torps at a tanker. 37m p/s wind. Steam torps, so I can see them travel perfectly at her. 1st one premature detonation, I set it too shallow in this storm. 2nd and 3rd I set to go under with magnetic pistol, and both sail right under. So I give up concealment and deck gun her.

This was a real problem back then, and was written to see in many uboat ship logs. The torpedoes were unreliable and so bad that BDU thought the commanders were coward and launching torps just to go home early. But with dozens of failures reported along with even the Aces reporting difficulties in Operation Wesserbung... it couldn’t be blamed on the commanders anymore.

It leaves you as a commander with questions regarding tactical choices when attacking...

To help with depth setting the formula is:
Depth 2 = Windspeed x .4
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-19, 01:23 PM   #4
Cavs
Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstanko6 View Post
Several factors can occur that you may not realize:

1) You set your torpedoes too deep.

2) Set your torpedoes to go under target but forgot to set my pistol to magnetic.

3) Set your torpedoes perfect, but the waves are so big, the swell raised the target up and over the torpedo.

4) Torpedo hit, but it was a dud. Game should have notified you or you heard the “dud sound”.

Yesterday I shot 3 torps at a tanker. 37m p/s wind. Steam torps, so I can see them travel perfectly at her. 1st one premature detonation, I set it too shallow in this storm. 2nd and 3rd I set to go under with magnetic pistol, and both sail right under. So I give up concealment and deck gun her.

This was a real problem back then, and was written to see in many uboat ship logs. The torpedoes were unreliable and so bad that BDU thought the commanders were coward and launching torps just to go home early. But with dozens of failures reported along with even the Aces reporting difficulties in Operation Wesserbung... it couldn’t be blamed on the commanders anymore.

It leaves you as a commander with questions regarding tactical choices when attacking...

To help with depth setting the formula is:
Depth 2 = Windspeed x .4
Ah thank you, this puts my mind at rest that I wasn't going crazy and thought the game was broken! All this makes a lot of sense.

I started setting the depth to be as shallow as possible, but there was quite a swell - I hadn't factored in the fact this would affect it, but seems so obvious now!

Oh and that formula - can you give me an example? I was never very good at maths...

Thanks again!
Old 02-16-19, 01:32 PM   #5
Skarmy
Mate

Downloads: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavs View Post
Ah thank you, this puts my mind at rest that I wasn't going crazy and thought the game was broken! All this makes a lot of sense.

I started setting the depth to be as shallow as possible, but there was quite a swell - I hadn't factored in the fact this would affect it, but seems so obvious now!

Oh and that formula - can you give me an example? I was never very good at maths...

Thanks again!

Your torpedoes will be a lot more effective if you can hit the target ship as far as you can below the water line.
Skarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-19, 04:20 PM   #6
bstanko6
Admiral

An example depth calculation:

15 m/s wind x .4 = 6m deep torpedo.

This particular formula (known as depth 2 D2) is to calculate the deepest you can set your torpedo at whatever wind speed storm you’re dealing with, to lessen chance of premature detonation. You could always go deeper so check the draft of the ship.

If you wish to go more shallow then here is the next formula (D1):

15 m/s wind x .25 = 3.75m deep torpedo.

D1 is a shallower depth you can use when you want to impact the ship or if the ship has a small draft. D1 has a slight odd of premature detonation, but offers a shallower depth for impact pistols.

At 60 m/s wind, as example, you really have to consider attacking the boat at all, or follow until the weather changes! D2 at this wind speed is at least 24m deep!
Old 02-16-19, 04:20 PM   #7
Cavs
Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarmy View Post
Your torpedoes will be a lot more effective if you can hit the target ship as far as you can below the water line.
So, would you set it below the graphic of the hull, or just at the bottom of it? I guess it depends on the weather like mentioned above? And if I were to set it below the hull, make sure I switch on magnetic?

I keep reloading a contact now and I've tried various methods and they all seem to miss. I like that it's realistic like this, but if I could work out wwhere I was going wrong I wouldn't mind as much! Haha.
Old 02-16-19, 04:23 PM   #8
Cavs
Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstanko6 View Post
An example depth calculation:

15 m/s wind x .4 = 6m deep torpedo.

This particular formula (known as depth 2 D2) is to calculate the deepest you can set your torpedo at whatever wind speed storm you’re dealing with, to lessen chance of premature detonation. You could always go deeper so check the draft of the ship.

If you wish to go more shallow then here is the next formula (D1):

15 m/s wind x .25 = 3.75m deep torpedo.

D1 is a shallower depth you can use when you want to impact the ship or if the ship has a small draft. D1 has a slight odd of premature detonation, but offers a shallower depth for impact pistols.

At 60 m/s wind, as example, you really have to consider attacking the boat at all, or follow until the weather changes! D2 at this wind speed is at least 24m deep!
Think we posted at the same time! This is very useful, thank you, I'll give this a go and report back...

I was dreaming about this game last night
Old 02-16-19, 04:26 PM   #9
bstanko6
Admiral

What he means is if you’re setting your pistol to impact, you want to hit the side of the boat. So anywhere under the water line but above the draft will hit the side of the boat.

What I’m talking about is setting magnetic pistols to explode under the keel of the boat. So if the boats draft is say 7 m, you want to set the torpedo to blow up at least a meter underneath it.
Old 02-16-19, 05:04 PM   #10
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Cavs! welcome to the surface after your silent run!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-19, 05:05 AM   #11
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome Back To The Subsim Community > Cavs
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
SH3 – 4 - 5 Tutorials > Downloads > Other Useful Information > See Links in My Signature Below

AUTO TDC is straight forward lock, unlock, fire.
Most likely reason you are missing other than setting your torpedoes too deep is not opening the tube doors first before firing.

Post #146 Auto TDC Targeting Without Using 3 Circles > Pictorial
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote