0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-10, 04:20 PM   #136
Lt commander lare
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 781
Uploads: 35
you cant get with the program because we just got handed the go to jail card do not pass go do not collect 200 dollars and no atlantic patrols for you by ubisoft so i guess patrol the pacific all you want because at this point thats all there is

lt commander lare
Old 01-26-10, 04:22 PM   #137
Randomizer
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
SH5 is just on baby step in the right direction. That's what's happening. Your only choice is to get with the program. Well, you could learn chess.
I like chess.

What I do not like is effectively renting a game that requires a third-parties blessing to play on every ocassion. It's like needing the publishers' permission to read a book that I have paid for.

Old 01-26-10, 04:29 PM   #138
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

Just thought of something - what happens 2 or 3 years down the line when there's a Silent Hunter 6....and they shut down the Silent Hunter 5 server in order to force you to upgrade?

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
Old 01-26-10, 04:32 PM   #139
Thomen
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by roman2440 View Post
About loosing progress and wireless connections: If the game loses connectivity in the middle of a game in progress it will Pause the game and retry the connection. Based on my experience with wireless this should basically make it a non-issue (one very short pause every game session or two isn't going to kill the game experience). If on the chance that it is unable to re-establish connectivity it'll give you the option of continueing from that spot or loading a save game. The FAQ doesn't specify if that is right away or if that is upon connection re-establishment:

See: http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/62098
Pay attention to the updated FAQ section.
Great Info..

Last edited by Thomen; 01-26-10 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Question regarding save games answered by different FAQ
Old 01-26-10, 04:33 PM   #140
sk065
Bosun

Downloads: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookiemookie View Post
Just thought of something - what happens 2 or 3 years down the line when there's a Silent Hunter 6....and they shut down the Silent Hunter 5 server in order to force you to upgrade?
Easy - there wont be a SH6 at this rate.
Old 01-26-10, 04:37 PM   #141
IanC
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 3

Ughh...forced to connect to the web to play a game, that I bought, in my own home? I think not.
And I'm not just saying that because I don't have high speed. I guarantee you that even with the best high speed, I would still be against it. It just feels...wrong. It goes against 25 years of my PC gaming experience.
If I want to play a game, it should be myself and the game. Not me, the game, and a server somewhere across the world.
Old 01-26-10, 04:41 PM   #142
sk065
Bosun

Downloads: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by roman2440 View Post
About loosing progress and wireless connections: If the game loses connectivity in the middle of a game in progress it will Pause the game and retry the connection. Based on my experience with wireless this should basically make it a non-issue (one very short pause every game session or two isn't going to kill the game experience). If on the chance that it is unable to re-establish connectivity it'll give you the option of continueing from that spot or loading a save game. The FAQ doesn't specify if that is right away or if that is upon connection re-establishment:

See: http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/62098
Pay attention to the updated FAQ section.
Sorry but why should i pay for a game that pauses (even if it is just one or two time a session) when i could have the choice of uniterupted gameplay. This would effect immersion and would kill my experience. Its comparable to a major bug in my book. If they are going to implement it, make sure it does not detract from gameplay.
Old 01-26-10, 04:44 PM   #143
codmander
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 59

grrrr this stinks:d own::dow n:
Old 01-26-10, 04:44 PM   #144
Ships-R-Us
Commander

Downloads: 134
Default Career Data

You are into a career with 100hrs. invested and the server becomes infected and you are %H&K((............
Old 01-26-10, 04:49 PM   #145
verte
Sparky

Downloads: 36

Don't bother with SH5. SH3 forever!
Old 01-26-10, 04:59 PM   #146
Arrakis
Watch

Downloads: 4

Has the news been confirmed by anyone from the dev team?? Dan??

I wish such a system was not implemented as I wanna be free to play whenever I like....and not necessarly while being online (well I play on a laptop)...

Thanks for the reply!
Old 01-26-10, 04:59 PM   #147
longam
Admiral

Downloads: 26

I can only imagine the people on satellite, man that would s**k. They loose connection or slow down to a craw during peak times because of the overloaded satellites.

This would include a large population of internet users. You only have to be a few miles out of town to not have broadband, I know I was there.
Old 01-26-10, 05:06 PM   #148
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookiemookie View Post
That's an interesting question. Actually there will be no Silent Hunter 6 when the transition is complete. There will only be Silent Hunter, a continually evolving and improving game. It will automatically update itself every time you start the game.

You can see the future in operation any time you want by playing Runescape at runescape.com. There's a game that is completely different from when RS2 was introduced five years ago. There is no version number. Once a week they push out an update and when you start the game it loads all updates without any interaction from you at all. Runescape could never exist in a drink coaster world, even as a single player game. It is a perfect example of the advantages of evolution over game versions.

Game versions are necessary because of the frozen state of a DVD or CD, not because of any other reason. Liberating the game from the drink coaster is the key to a quantum leap in quality, more income for the game company, developers who can work for years and years on a single game. We're about at the peak of quality a drink coaster game can deliver. Yes, they can jazz up the graphics, hurriedly add a feature or two, but they will introduce dozens and dozens of consequential bugs in the process.

Once the drink coasters are sold, income from the game ceases, just as patch maintenance costs ramp up. With no income to pay for it, the game company will always tend to give us just enough of a patch that we won't completely revolt. We're left with "rudder....rudder" for rudder amidships.

None of this has to be. Future games will be infinitely better than what we have now because the business model of gaming will change to give us what we require. Some of us will foolishly catastrophise. Some of us still drive horse-drawn buggies as well. Please scrape up the horse poop from the road.

As far as fast and reliable internet connections, ten years ago, most of us didn't have one. The customer always gets what he wants. Those of us who have good high speed connections have it because customers demanded it, not because phone companies and cable companies wanted to provide it.

Just like your cheap and fast as blue blazes computer, this capability will be financed by people with a lot more money than sense, who will pay ten times the cost you're willing to pay to get the system up and running. Think the first iPhones. Thank God for rich people. They make possible all the toys we enjoy for cheap. We need more rich people.

The Internet of the future will make ALL our connections seem slow and unreliable. It will come because applications demand it. SH5 and future games that will be Internet based will be important parts of making the Internet of the future possible. You don't see it now, but it's going to be freakin' GREAT! Those who complain the loudest now will be its strongest supporters.
Old 01-26-10, 05:15 PM   #149
Ships-R-Us
Commander

Downloads: 134

Excellent post "RR"........I just want to know when the time will come when there are no more keyboards and mice. You put on a helmet, cursor follows eye movement, and typing is done by thinking the letters.

[QUO
TE=Rockin Robbins;1247224]That's an interesting question. Actually there will be no Silent Hunter 6 when the transition is complete. There will only be Silent Hunter, a continually evolving and improving game. It will automatically update itself every time you start the game.

You can see the future in operation any time you want by playing Runescape at runescape.com. There's a game that is completely different from when RS2 was introduced five years ago. There is no version number. Once a week they push out an update and when you start the game it loads all updates without any interaction from you at all. Runescape could never exist in a drink coaster world, even as a single player game. It is a perfect example of the advantages of evolution over game versions.

Game versions are necessary because of the frozen state of a DVD or CD, not because of any other reason. Liberating the game from the drink coaster is the key to a quantum leap in quality, more income for the game company, developers who can work for years and years on a single game. We're about at the peak of quality a drink coaster game can deliver. Yes, they can jazz up the graphics, hurriedly add a feature or two, but they will introduce dozens and dozens of consequential bugs in the process.

Once the drink coasters are sold, income from the game ceases, just as patch maintenance costs ramp up. With no income to pay for it, the game company will always tend to give us just enough of a patch that we won't completely revolt. We're left with "rudder....rudder" for rudder amidships.

None of this has to be. Future games will be infinitely better than what we have now because the business model of gaming will change to give us what we require. Some of us will foolishly catastrophise. Some of us still drive horse-drawn buggies as well. Please scrape up the horse poop from the road.

As far as fast and reliable internet connections, ten years ago, most of us didn't have one. The customer always gets what he wants. Those of us who have good high speed connections have it because customers demanded it, not because phone companies and cable companies wanted to provide it.

Just like your cheap and fast as blue blazes computer, this capability will be financed by people with a lot more money than sense, who will pay ten times the cost you're willing to pay to get the system up and running. Think the first iPhones. Thank God for rich people. They make possible all the toys we enjoy for cheap. We need more rich people.

The Internet of the future will make ALL our connections seem slow and unreliable. It will come because applications demand it. SH5 and future games that will be Internet based will be important parts of making the Internet of the future possible. You don't see it now, but it's going to be freakin' GREAT! Those who complain the loudest now will be its strongest supporters.[/QUOTE]
Old 01-26-10, 05:17 PM   #150
HundertzehnGustav
Sea Lord

Downloads: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
I'm speechless.

This is really, really sad news. I had not expected this, and now I'm very dissapointed.

I have bought 100+ legitimate games in my life, some of them only to support the maker because I liked to see them in the market. But I skipped one I had been waiting for very long, Rise of Flight, just because of this issue.

Internet activation of the game is bad enough, because you sometimes have to upgrade PC or reinstall a backup of Windows (I do it each three months to keep it clean, using an image of my HDD), and internet check for starting game session is even worse. But needing to stay connected ALL the time you are playing, is just pure madness.

No way am I going to tolerate this. I'm truly sorry, but UBI, I skip SH5 until I get the right to play my legitimally bought game wherever, whenever I want. I understand the reasons of the publishers and accept them, so I hope you also will understand and accept mines.

That was it. Now back to Sh3, and to the Pacific.
With one laughting and one crying eye, i shall Join you.
Closed Thread