SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-23-11, 01:46 PM   #826
gj2020
Sailor man

Downloads: 166
Uploads: 0
Default Torpedos won't fire

Just did a complete reinstall of SH4 patched to 1.5. The only mods I have in place are RFB_2.0 and the 2.0_patch_23April2010. Finally found a ship on my first patrol, of course it's a warship, got into position to fire and I can't seem to fire a torpedo! Clicking on the fire button doesn't work, hitting enter doesn't work, swearing loudly didn't do much either.

Am I missing something?
Old 01-23-11, 02:15 PM   #827
Stoli151
Helmsman

Downloads: 333

gj2020 did you have a firing solution programmed into the TDC? If you did not the torpedoes will not fire. If you want a zero gyro angle shot you have to at least set the speed to zero in the TDC. Unless you are using auto targeting then you only have to point the periscope at whatever you want to shoot. Lastly I believe in SH4 you need to open the tube doors before you fire in either case.
Stoli151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-11, 02:39 PM   #828
gj2020
Sailor man

Downloads: 166

Thanks.

I think I've got the assisted targeting turned on but I didn't think about opening the doors. It's been quite a while since I've played this...
Old 01-23-11, 11:25 PM   #829
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by msalama View Post
One question concerning the S-class submarine as currently modelled in RFB. Was it _really_ that much of a pig IRL too, with a 180-degree turn taking it some 10 minutes or something??? I'm finding it impossible to get away in it, because the bloody thing just won't turn!

I don't know... if it really was that clumsy, then no wonder it was phased out by 1943

While they were not first line equiptment in WWII, I don't think they're that bad. The main points they were criticised for in RL were: slow surface speed and short range/endurance. I never read about the poor turning before. I think you can do well as far as commerce raiding. Taking on IJN task forces is another matter. Look at it this way; at least you have torpedos that work.

One other thing. Be careful in surface actions. The RFB team have enfeebled the S-boats to the point that any light gun can sink them. Personally, I think they overdid it.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-11, 04:25 AM   #830
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
One other thing. Be careful in surface actions. The RFB team have enfeebled the S-boats to the point that any light gun can sink them. Personally, I think they overdid it.
I read an account of an IJN sub commander stating that his boat was full of holes after a plane attack (both machine guns and canons) : holes up to 25 cm diameter (that would be canon shell) and smaller ones due to machine gun fire.

So I'd think they were accurate for the S Class

keltos

keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-11, 03:24 PM   #831
Stoli151
Helmsman

I agree with Keltos. The main reason I play this mod is because of the sub damage model. A sub could never engage in a surface battle with patrol boats or aircraft. It was a stealth weapon. The pressure hulls were not very thick and something as small as a 3" gun could penetrate them rendering them at the very least unable to dive. In that case they had no other option then to do what they could on the surface. To me playing this mod, especially in a DiD career makes you act like a real commander, avoiding a surface engagement at any cost.
Old 01-24-11, 05:20 PM   #832
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltos01 View Post
I read an account of an IJN sub commander stating that his boat was full of holes after a plane attack (both machine guns and canons) : holes up to 25 cm diameter (that would be canon shell) and smaller ones due to machine gun fire.

So I'd think they were accurate for the S Class

keltos
I'm not saying that guns would not damadge a sub. Artillery and maching gun fire will not do any sub any good. What I'm saying is, that I don't think a small number of very small shells would sink one.

In this case, the gun was a light AA, side mounted one man crew gun. (There is a big difference between a light AA and a 3in. gun BTW.) I am guessing 25mm. AP rounds would penetrate the hull, but HE probably would not. I'm not sure the Jap merchant marine would have had AP ammunition for their AA guns. Also, subs strafed by aircraft would be hit by rounds from at least 6 barrels, not 1. I don't think half a dozen or so small holes should sink even a S-boat.

From everything I've read about British experience, small arms and light guns could kill exposed personel and suppress AA, but were not effective for sinking U-boats. I remember reading they chose the 6 pdr. (57mm) because it could penetrate the pressure hull. Now that is an effective piece.

In general, I like RFB very much. They made it difficult to sink ships with a 4in. deck gun, which is very much in line with RL experience. I do question whether the damadge models for the subs are proper though.
Old 01-24-11, 10:07 PM   #833
Stoli151
Helmsman

I haven't as yet had a pressure hull breached by 20mm fire. I have only had it breached by a direct hit from something larger. Maybe it's something I haven't encountered. Personally I think its modeled fairly realistically. For me if it keeps me from using unrealistic tactics then it achieved the desired effect. But if I were sunk by smaller gunfire such as 20mm exclusively, I would be upset by that. On the other hand I avoid surface engagements at all costs.
Old 01-26-11, 12:38 AM   #834
TorpX
Silent Hunter

If you're playing S boats, I'd be very careful. Maybe the fleet boats can take it.

It wasn't really a gun duel. I was chasing a ship and decided to shell it at long range, otherwise we probably couldn't have caught up to it. I got quite a few hits on it and we gradually gained. By the time we were within 2000 yds, it was burning severely and low in the water. They hadn't fired anything so I figured I was safe. When I moved in to finish it off - SURPRISE! I crash dived immediately, but we already had fatal damadge. As our boat was slowly filling with water, we could hear the enemy ship sinking.

Now, I'm much more careful. Those little guns are hard to spot unless your very close. Another time, I torpedoed a ship with one. I had a chance to look it over thru the PS, at close range. It looks like a 20 or 25mm, but I don't know that much about Japanese ordnance. Certainly, it is not larger than 30mm.
Old 01-31-11, 02:09 PM   #835
sneaker-78-
Swabbie

Downloads: 2

is there a way to see if rlb 2.0 is loaded properly ? i use jsgm to load my mod but there is no loading screen like pe4.
sneaker-78- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-11, 11:22 PM   #836
TorpX
Silent Hunter

You should have different loading screens after you install RFB. If not I would check the folder structure. Sometimes you end up with duplicate folders which prevent the mod form working. I can't help much with troubleshooting mods though; I'm not a computer nerd. Someone who is more expert will be around though.
Old 02-01-11, 02:55 PM   #837
oscar19681
Admiral

Downloads: 119

Hi i,ve been playing the mod for a awhile again. I want to update it to 2.0 but do i need to be in port for it?

Jim Morrison 1943-1971
oscar19681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-11, 10:32 PM   #838
JREX53
Frogman

Downloads: 353
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar19681 View Post
Hi i,ve been playing the mod for a awhile again. I want to update it to 2.0 but do i need to be in port for it?

Yes and you will probably have to start a new career..

JREX53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-11, 06:52 PM   #839
sneaker-78-
Swabbie

Hello,

I hope somebody can help me, i have RFB_2.0 installed and the april 2010 patch with JSGM :

RFB_2.0
RFB_2.0_patch_23april2010

No further mods. but i have lots of ctd`s and my crew have black uniforms and i have big white blocks where normally you can set speed, depth and heading , and where you can choose map,bridge etc all is white also.

i use the 1.5 patch

so please help
Old 02-05-11, 11:08 AM   #840
sneaker-78-
Swabbie

Ok, i reinstalled the game and addon , but now its getting worse , i get an "unkown error" if i want to start