SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-13-10, 01:30 PM   #226
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Was just reading this thread. I have nothing to add, and no requests or complaints. I just wanted to say that with so many people praising certain SH3 supermods, some spreading around is due to those who put in their time and effort building, listening, talking, tearing down and rebuilding.

RFB TEAM, you guys rock!

Sorry for wasting time and space, but I just felt compelled to anti-vent.
Old 02-13-10, 01:31 PM   #227
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Agreed, they have made a great mod
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-10, 10:08 PM   #228
OlegM
Engineer

Downloads: 7
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker_hlb3 View Post
- Conclusion: There is virtually no difference between Stock and RFB in the number of torpedoes it takes to sink a Taiyo class CVE. The only difference noted was it took on average it took the RFB ship 25% longer to sink by flooding.
Thanks for checking. However, the fact it's not changed from stock still does not mean it's realistic. Perhaps it means it should be changed.

I noticed couple more oddities, not *nearly* as irritating as damage-resistant Klingon IJN ships, more like simple bugs, I'll report zhem in separate message(s).
OlegM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-10, 10:11 PM   #229
OlegM
Engineer

Oddity no 1. Again, 1.5 + RFB 2.0 and RSRDC for RFB are only mods I have installed.

March 1944, I am sent to do photo recon of three Japanese islands, one of them is Saipan. It's night. Travelling to Saipan from south I notice fire on Tinian (island just south of Saipan, incidentally Enola Gay flew from there), went to investigate and the scene looks as if there's been aerial attack during the previous day, some ships sunk, some burning etc. Nothing strange, however among the IJN ships there is one trawler with US flag

Perhaps this is RSRDC thing....
Old 02-13-10, 10:15 PM   #230
OlegM
Engineer

Odditiy number 2 - the ghost ships. Several times I've seen big cargo ships that well, look like ghost ships.

I have screenshots and the exact date of at least one such incident (and there were several). Yap atoll, 25 April 1944, 21.00 hours.

Ghost ships are noticable only from VERY close, the crew sees them (radar, radio, visual). They can be torpedoed, torps explode, ship sinks extremely quickly, there is debris etc. However there is no wreck. Sinking is reported as: "ship sunk, 0 tons" (no ship type, no tonnage).
Old 02-13-10, 10:51 PM   #231
Jten
Mate

Downloads: 102

I have noticed the ghost ships before when I had intell gathering missions. they seem to function as the objective trigger for mission completion. the mission completes at quite a distance from the 'ship' so i guess you aren't supposed to get near it.
I notice them most when there is a fog effect.
Jten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-10, 11:08 PM   #232
Nephandus
Seaman

Downloads: 13
Default Visibility and Fog

First of all I have to say that Environment 5.0 looks really neat.

However, I seem to have some problems with it:

- Under excellent visibility the detection range of a target is app. 13.000 to 19.000 yards by the AI (The latter one was a large modern tanker under ideal conditions... daytime, no waves, no wind, excellent visibility).

- However, when there is "good" visibility, the visual detection range is below 5000 yards (usually around 1500 to 3000 yards) and there is a heck of a fog

- In "fair" visibility, the fog gets even denser, the detection range is nigh non-existent. The fog

- I did not encounter poor visibility yet but I assume that the fog will cause me not being able to see the bow of my own boat anymore.

- It appears that during nighttime, the fog is less dense and even less present if it is raining.

Based on these observations, I think this needs some fixing. Good visibility needs a lot less fog (the present settings would be good for fair visibility) and an increase in visual detection range (I think around 8000 yards in calm weather would be appropriate). Fair visibility would need the fog of the present good visibility with visual detection range of app 3000 yards.
Nephandus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-10, 04:02 AM   #233
RFB Team
SH4 Mod Team

Downloads: 3

Updated readme for the upcoming RFB patch:

Quote:
Changed default heavy deck gun AA armament on IXD2

Adjusted hydrophone performance characteristics. The speed of the target now plays more of a role in max range at which a target can be detected.

Go Back command for radar and sonar views takes player to conning tower view.

Adjusted damage zone modeling for Japanese sampans and fishing boats.

Re-enabled map contacts.

Changed 10.5cm deck gun ammo loadout to 200 HE rounds.

Changed 37mm AA gun loadout to 2500 rounds per gun.

Fixed problem with 10.5cm deck gun sound.

Added six empty planesmen slots to the control rooms for all American boats. Two enlisted men from each bridge watch should be placed here when the boat is submerged.

Changed introduction date of H-6 radar for H6K, H8K, and G4M aircraft to September 1944.

Changed max range of H-6 radar to approximately 12 miles.

Max ranges for all American subs is now based on the sub carrying fuel in their main ballast tanks (S and Tench classes already had this feature). The new ranges for the rest of the subs is as follows:
-Porpoise: 22,000 miles @ 8 knots
-Salmon, Sargo, Tambor, Gar, Gato, Balao: 15,000 miles at 10 knots

Adjusted default surface speeds for all boats (credit to virtualpender for finding the info) as follows:
-Fleet subs: 6, 12, 15, 18, max speed for each respective class
-S boats: 3, 6, 9, 11, max speed for each respective class

Dive times for all American boats re-calibrated to the historical standard surfaced speed as follows:
-Fleet subs: 15 knots
-S boats: 9 knots

Changed acceleration rate for submerged American subs to equate to approximately 4 knots/minute.

Added Gato interior mod by vickers03.

Changed ammo loadout for 3"/50 deck gun to 200 HE rounds (credit to DaveyJ576 for finding the info).

Changed SD radar range to 8 nautical miles.

Changed name of SD-1 radar to SD-2 radar.

Notes on SD-2 naming:
-SD radar underwent a lot of changes in the time it was in service with the U.S. Navy. The original SD radar sets (60 produced between late 1941 and mid-1942) were all field-modified to the horizontally-polarized U-type antenna by the summer of 1942 and were designated SD-a.
-SD-1 (20 produced) had a non-retractable mast and was installed from late 1942. SD-2 (60 produced) was essentially the production version of SD-a and had provision for IFF. It was also installed from late 1942 onwards.
-SD-3 was a version made for small craft, although some were modified back into submarine-compatible sets. SD-4 (104 produced) was an attempt to cure the problems of SD by using a linear dipole array. It was delivered between July 1943 and July 1944. SD-5 (86 produced) was completed in December 1944 and increased the power 130 kilowatts. It had a range scale of 80nm, but Norman Friedman believes this to be an "overoptimistic" belief in its max range potential.
What this all means is that, in determining when SD radar was installed on a particular boat, the following rules will apply:
-Any SD radar set installed before June 1942 will be considered to be SD radar.
-Any SD radar set installed in June 1942 and onwards will be considered to be SD-2 radar (what is called in stock SH4 "Improved SD Radar." Although SD-2 did not appear before the fall of 1942, it had in effect the same range characteristics as SD-a.

Adjusted torpedo reload times for all American submarines to a fastest time of approximately 5 minutes (except for the Porpoise class bow torpedo room, which is set at approximately 7.5 minutes). The Porpoise class bow torpedo room was known for being too cramped, making torpedo reloading and maintenance cumbersome.
Work continues on the patch at this point. It is hoped that it will be released "soon."

The RFB team is an open group and our work is open to anyone. Although we have a separate forum for development and testing, it is not a private forum, so you can drop in and see what's going on or contribute. The forum is open to other developers that need a place to exchange ideas too.

http://forum.kickinbak.com/index.php...647a9120c08614

Last edited by RFB Team; 02-14-10 at 08:54 PM.
RFB Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-10, 06:12 AM   #234
RFB Team
SH4 Mod Team

Downloads: 3

Oh, and this one's for Bubblehead:

The RFB team is an open group and our work is open to anyone. Although we have a separate forum for development and testing, it is not a private forum, so you can drop in and see what's going on or contribute. The forum is open to other developers that need a place to exchange ideas too.

http://forum.kickinbak.com/index.php...647a9120c08614
RFB Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-10, 09:29 AM   #235
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

I am sure I am doing something wrong, but I have installed RFB 2.0 and separately the RFB 2.0 patch, both through JSGME, but I still get no map updates on the NAV map even though it is enabled as a game option.

secondly, is there a way to re-enable the ATTACK map to work as per the stock game, with the black and white solution/sound contact lines?

great work by the RFB team, but I would like to keep the stock above mentioned aspects on my SH4 instal.

thanks for any help.

p.s.- never ye mind, problem solved, I had not installed the wee mod properly.

Last edited by Bilge_Rat; 02-14-10 at 05:54 PM.
Bilge_Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-10, 03:29 PM   #236
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

You moved the ladder, very nice work.

The patch looks good from what you listed.Only thing that concerns me is having all the fleetboats only able to make 18 knots.

Gato, Balao and Tench could make 20 knots easy and if needed ememrgency, could operate past the rec limits and make 22 or 23 knots periods of time, read about it in O Kanes book I believe.

Porpoise, Salmon, Sargo, 18 sounds about right.

So possible youll keep it at 20knts for the Gato, Balao and Tench? Dont think many of us would care for only being able to make 18 knots in a new Balao or Tench.
Old 02-14-10, 08:43 PM   #237
LukeFF
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
The patch looks good from what you listed.Only thing that concerns me is having all the fleetboats only able to make 18 knots.
You're just reading the readme info a bit wrong. What I mean by "Fleet subs: 6, 12, 15, 18, max speed for class" is that the max speed for each class is slightly different, depending on what class of fleet sub is being played. In other words:

Ahead 1/3: 6 knots
Ahead 2/3: 12 knots
Ahead Standard: 15 knots
Ahead Full: 18 knots
Ahead Flank: max speed for class.

I know, it wasn't the best wording on my part.

ROW Sound Effects Contributor
RFB Team Leader
LukeFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-10, 12:58 AM   #238
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Ah ok, it happens.
Old 02-15-10, 07:00 AM   #239
Metus
Swabbie

Downloads: 33

I have the same "problem" as Nephandus concerning the weather.
Metus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-10, 01:07 PM   #240
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

Maybe I am missing something, but what is the crush depth of the various fleet subs in RFB? I did not see anything in the RFB manual.

In a "Gato" class boat, for example, there is a red line at 300 feet and when I exceed it, a little icon pops up that I am exceeding crush depth. I presume I can go deeper, but what is a safe rule of thumb without running undue risk, say 100 feet more?
Bilge_Rat is offline   Reply With Quote