SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-06-08, 08:29 PM   #16
SuperCavitation
Loader

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkbarGulag
Ok, I see the logic in this. But beyond saying [REL] the author has got all the leeway he needs to define it with the name he gives it.
Totally. I'm not saying my idea should be implemented, but I do feel the concept should. And I also believe it should start asap to avoid any further insanity already generated by the addition. I don't think I have to point to any threads for you to get what I'm saying. :p

I'm still trying to figure out how to set the depth of my mk14s on another thread, fer chrissakes.

I'm also hoping this particular thread doesn't degenerate. There needs to be a smiley for me chewing my nails. It's what I do anyways when the DD are stalking... :p

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast. For I intend to go in harm's way." - Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, in a letter to le Ray de Chaumont.
SuperCavitation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-08, 09:44 PM   #17
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by sober
I think some people want a mod section for 1.4 mods and a different section for 1.5 . This is because they dont want to buy the addon for whatever reason . I dont think it would be fair to ubisoft , and the devs and the future of silent hunter to support both 1.4 and 1.5 patches at the same time just because some people dont want to buy the addon for whatever reason . cheers sober out .
The addon contains new things for the fleet boats. Also, better running game. It would not make sense not to purchase the addon for that reason alone. My game has never been more stable. I like all the new texures and screens for crew, etc. For $10.00 it was well worth it for me and I suspect others.
Old 03-06-08, 09:48 PM   #18
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by sober
I think some people want a mod section for 1.4 mods and a different section for 1.5 . This is because they dont want to buy the addon for whatever reason . I dont think it would be fair to ubisoft , and the devs and the future of silent hunter to support both 1.4 and 1.5 patches at the same time just because some people dont want to buy the addon for whatever reason . cheers sober out .
The addon contains new things for the fleet boats. Also, better running game. It would not make sense not to purchase the addon for that reason alone. My game has never been more stable. I like all the new texures and screens for crew, etc. For $10.00 it was well worth it for me and I suspect others.
My point exactly , thats why i bought it and lets support the franchise by supporting the 1.5 patch .
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-08, 11:27 PM   #19
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCavitation
Something like:

Title: [REL][1.5 UBoat] Name of the mod
Title: [REL][1.5 US] Name of the mod
Title: [REL][1.5 US/Uboat] Name of the mod

...would be easy on noobs like me...
There is one , simple problem with this, and i know im generalizing but........

In general, not all end Users read very well. I mean, seriously, i just posted 1.5 compatible TMO the other day, and i specificilly stated near the top "a "supermod" that touches on just about every aspect of the game you can think of, and focuses exclusively on the Pacific Submarine war, and the US Silent Service.".

I dont mean to sound testy, but i dont think i should have to mention that at all. TM has been around SH4 for awhile now, so people should already know what it is, and is not. Yet, I get questions fielded to me about how come the uboat game isnt working correctly. (yes there are incompatibilities already, by boosting one theater, ive broken the other, i provided a modlet that fixes that if they want to play the stock uboat campaign, but still.... )

I think it would be much simpler if the mod forums were theater specific, as to remove any ambiguity for the end user.

(edit: of course this is assuming a world of large mods focused on one theater or the other. Im hazzarding a guess that not as many mods will touch on BOTH theaters. If that ends up being the case, then there isnt much of a point in seperating mod forums by theater)
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-08, 11:55 PM   #20
AkbarGulag
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 1

Yea, I was not aware that playing with one section could damage another. The ASW mod is so limited in files touched, that I have not had problems.

Are you saying Ducimus, that errors created in the second theatre can not be overcome by some of the large MODS?

...It was at this point, Captain AkbarGulag realised how green his crew was..."
AkbarGulag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-08, 12:21 AM   #21
SuperCavitation
Loader

Downloads: 0

Duci, You are a well-respected member here and I have in zero doubt your abilities and talent.

But let me be completely frank just for a sec. I have no idea what TMO is, and that is partially my fault for not looking before posting. If you think I'm behind the curve now, just read a few more lines.

I came back here after a long hiatus. I just got Sh4 prior to the addon. In fact, I dont think Ive posted here since around Dangerous Waters or so. Yet, since I've had the opportunity to return, I've been watching the boards when I can and I don't feel that I'm alone. There are new people everyday. I've seen more questions than answers, and this has been greatly exaggerated since the add-on.

This is not your fault. So please dont think im going there. I'm also not attacking you, so please don't think that.

You said, "Not all end users read well," I would counter with not everyone writes well, including me. Hence, my suggestion for the title, as it were. I read the description you posted and I agree that it leans on the pacific side but it tells me nothing about what version of the game I might be able to use it for. "a "supermod" that touches on just about every aspect of the game you can think of, and focuses exclusively on the Pacific Submarine war"

It doesnt, from the outset, jump out at me and say, "Hey, You... this is 1.5!"

Again, I'm not saying this is your fault, I'm simply trying to point out something.

Two weeks ago, when I rejoined here, I tried to figure out what the heck RSRD meant, which is a common phrase with yall. Then ROW. And a whole bunch of other acronyms that may or may not work with the addon. Then I tried to figure out why everyone had Leo's sig (God bless his soul) in their sig. It took some time. And, really, what I was doing was trying to play catch-up in ... jeez... days? When I only had hours? And I still dont know as much as I probably should.

This addon is going to bring new users. New players. New everything. I'm not calling for "viva la revolution" here, but I am saying that there are a few people, maybe more than I think, that could benefit from some "dumbing down" so to speak. At the very least it would help.

Again, this isnt an attack, please dont think that. I'm completely ignorant of whats cool versus what isnt, then you throw the addon in and im lost totally. We all would benefit from a brighter structure, is all im saying.

Hope you arent mad. I'll look up TMO after hitting post.

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast. For I intend to go in harm's way." - Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, in a letter to le Ray de Chaumont.
SuperCavitation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-08, 05:39 AM   #22
Paajtor
The Old Man

Downloads: 64
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCavitation
Two weeks ago, when I rejoined here, I tried to figure out what the heck RSRD meant, which is a common phrase with yall. Then ROW. And a whole bunch of other acronyms that may or may not work with the addon. Then I tried to figure out why everyone had Leo's sig (God bless his soul) in their sig. It took some time. And, really, what I was doing was trying to play catch-up in ... jeez... days? When I only had hours? And I still dont know as much as I probably should.
Same for me - and the reason why I started this thread, because I was afraid this only could get worse.
I bought SH4 maybe 2 weeks before the addon came out, and still I'm spending more time on these forums than ingame.

It's already hard to keep up with existing mods - while they're constantly being updated - and on top of that come new mods for 2 game versions!
It's a constant stream of changes.

Example: how to find the green lamp mod, for this addon?
If you don't know it exists, you'll never have it, unless some poor soul bumps it up from oblivion.
Another one...the metric nomograph for 1.5...just got released, but the topic is already on page3.
Sure, with patience, everything can be searched for and found.
But I want to play the game, in the precious hours that I have.

Hell, in the SH3 section, some Überboat got a sticky at one moment...

Last edited by Paajtor; 03-07-08 at 05:51 AM.
Paajtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-08, 01:17 PM   #23
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

SuperCavitation,

You have some excellent points there. Part of the problem, is that i "assume" everyone has this level of knowledge, that i guess it take for granted. I have the same problem at work acutally.... when im asked to write tech documents, more often then not, i assume the reader has a basic knowledge level of what im writing about, and gloss over those details, and the end result of my writeup, is a set of "stereo instructions" (thats exactly what my supervisor calls anything i write now. LOL )

Quote:
AkbarGulag
Are you saying Ducimus, that errors created in the second theatre can not be overcome by some of the large MODS?
Some files when changed to make the pacific more correct, don't translate as well to the uboat campaign. Menu.txt for example. Doesn't break it, but some changes aren't really applicable to both.

Camera mods are a biggy. I can think of at least one version of a camera mod ive worked with where i canabalized the radioroom camera's functionlity, and applied it to another node in the dat file. While enhancing interior views in fleetboats, you just castrated an entire room in a uboat. Also, free cams will break station views, (black or blank screen) unless those are updated.

Right now, my main culprit is the Marine.dat file. THe new one by all apperances just has the uboat crews appended to the bottom of it. The problem with it for the paciific game, is the US naval officers cap looks like greek fishermans hat, and the texture rendering is HORRIBLE. Using the file from CaptainCox's officer cap mod fixes both of those problems, but because the uboat crews are absent from thsi file, the game will CTD when loading a uboat game.

Then theres campaign_NMS.mis. Right now the one for the pacific has a buttload of names on them. The more labels you add, the laggier it gets. On top of this , ive put down a US naval grid system that was absent in the stock game. Having no other way to do this, i put it in the campaign_NMS.mis file. This makes it inheritantly incompatible with the uboat game, and adding the extra labels introduced in the uboat campaign could cause alot of unneccessary lag.

Then theres the campaign.cfg. Similr scenario. traffic scripting mods have been out awhile now. While one could append uboat campaigns to it, WHY?! Its just going to cause unneccessary traffic using CPU cycles that the player will never see or use if in one campaign or the other.

Thats just for starters, coming in the sh4 version 1.5 gate. Im sure the longer we have, more incompatiblities will be found. Personnaly i think it takes an unncessary amount of work to get both campaigns compatible under one roof, and by doing so, youll more then likely have to water down one side or the other.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote