SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-03-08, 05:10 PM   #1
howler93
Medic

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 0
Default Radar Withdrawl

Still waiting for my expansion pack to arrive, but I just realized that I'm not going to have anything like an equivalent to SJ radar when I head out for my German patrols, right? It's been a long time since I played SH3, and I always played in the Type VII, but am I correct in assuming that the U-Boat Missions subs available for the Germans will be WITHOUT surface sweep radar? What will I do? I'm addicted! Hope most of you are enjoying the add-on!

Good hunting,
Howler

P.S. Not to mention the PK!! How did I ever manage to sink ships without it? I'm going to need to return to basic manual targeting school in u-boats!

Last edited by howler93; 03-03-08 at 05:38 PM.
howler93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-08, 02:14 AM   #2
Saintaw
Medic

Downloads: 47

So far, I've seen two radar versions, none seem to work like 10% of the US one (TM version).

blub blubb...

Saintaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-08, 12:39 PM   #3
Zantham
中国水兵

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 1

The German radar seems to pick up planes pretty nicely giving you enough time to dive, but its surface ability is definitely not as good as the US radar. My crew often spots ships before the radar does... at least before the radar guy reports them anyways. This is using the advanced radar that comes in the XVIII.
Zantham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-08, 12:48 PM   #4
Factor
Weps

Downloads: 180

my radar cant even detect planes in 1943. i have the upgrade, but, planes are spotted by my crew with no radar contact at all. and yes, the radar in on.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-08, 12:55 PM   #5
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Actually the IXD2 comes with the FuMO-29 by default, which just sweeps 20 degrees in front of the sub. You can upgrade to FuMO-30 pretty quickly. I find it picks up ships just outside of visual range, so certainly not as good as the US radar and reading it yourself is certainly not as nice as the US radar scope.

For air contacts etc., the radar detector (i.e. FuMB) is probably a better friend

And yea, German radar was definitely ways behind the US radar. That was probably the fleet boats' greatest advantage. Mind you, in the game we're probably better supplied with radar right now than the real U-boats were. Most of the monsoon boats didn't have any radar at all.

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-08, 01:01 PM   #6
FuddCS
Swabbie

Downloads: 44

Well, german subs have very good sonar. I use it a lot. Every hour or so i dive to 25 meters and listen for a while. Works better than radar imho.
Old 03-04-08, 01:06 PM   #7
Zantham
中国水兵

Quote:
reading it yourself is certainly not as nice as the US radar scope.
Have you gotten the latest radar (can't remember the name) it uses a 360 view instead of the ocilliscope display. Tho I'd still say its not as effective as the US radar for sure.
Old 03-04-08, 02:02 PM   #8
howler93
Medic

So, have you u-boat skippers run into any problems with using time compression without the added benefits of good surface radar? For example, coming out of TC to find you're being shelled by an Iowa class battleship? I'm just wondering if I should plan on using TC less as a German u-boat skipper...

Thanks,
Howler
Old 03-04-08, 02:45 PM   #9
Zantham
中国水兵

Not specifically no. I've been caught by planes a few times now and again in high TC, but so far my watch crew seems to spot ships before they spot me, even with high TC on.
Old 03-04-08, 04:10 PM   #10
howler93
Medic

Quote:
so far my watch crew seems to spot ships before they spot me, even with high TC on.

Just what I was hoping to hear. Thanks! My CD just arrived not 10 minutes ago! I'm anxious to get home and explore!
Old 03-06-08, 04:19 PM   #11
SuperCavitation
Loader

Downloads: 0

Also, there is an officer who will appear in port from time to time whose "ability" is to enhance radar range/capability. He is well worth the reknown. My watch crew were the only decent eyeballs I had until I got that officer.

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast. For I intend to go in harm's way." - Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, in a letter to le Ray de Chaumont.
SuperCavitation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-08, 11:23 PM   #12
Schnee
Engineer

Downloads: 2
Default Actually

The latest German Radars/Threat detectors available in early '44 don't seem too bad. Not up to the stuff you get on the Fleet Boat side but useful enough to be worth spending the renown to upgrade to. particularly the threat detectors. they allow you plenty of warning to dive if need be.
Schnee is offline   Reply With Quote