SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-14-10, 12:41 PM   #91
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Time to learn the art of manual targeting I guess. Do you know any useful guides for manual targeting?
Actually the different parts of the GUI make it quite obvious what you have to do, and it can be gathered from the manual.

But the logical steps would be as follows (You can gather target data from paralell course or plotting also, but this is the simpliest way)

1.- Speed: First you will determine speed, because that one normally won't change. You can either eyeball the bow wake and make a guesstimate, or use the fixed line with the chronometer and the table provided. Input in the TDC.

2.- AOB: This will change a bit, so you will set it as second step. Use the chart on the right to guesstimate how angled the target is, and read the corresponding AOB value. Input in the TDC.

3.- Range: This will change the most, so you will input it last. It is relevant only if you are doing angled shots (More than 20º left or right of your bow, look at the solution digital readout above or the TDC dials to see the Gyro Angle), otherwise you can leave it at default or simply move it to a rough guess. For range you can either use the marks in the periscope, or the range table based on how much of the lense the target covers. Another option is to set it in the distance when the target will cover the full lense, according to the chart, and wait until it is that close.

4.- Last, you can adjust salvo, spread angle and torpedo depth if necessary.

There you go, you have now everything setup correctly. As long as you don't pretend to shoot from extreme ranges, be sure you will hit
Old 04-14-10, 01:32 PM   #92
sharkbit
The Old Man

Downloads: 334
Uploads: 0

Any upcoming updates to the mod?
Just curious.

“Prejudice is blind. There will always be someone who says you aren’t welcome at the table. Stop apologizing for who you are and using all your energy trying to change their minds. Yes, you will lose friends, maybe even family. But you will gain your self-respect. You will know your worth. Once you have that, nothing can stop you.”
sharkbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-10, 02:30 PM   #93
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Not for a while. Such big projects are a bit exhausting, and I have also some smaller ones around. But be sure I will come back to the GUI in mid term.
Old 04-14-10, 02:37 PM   #94
KL-alfman
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 86

good to hear, Hitman!

danke schön!
Old 04-15-10, 08:11 PM   #95
Noily
Swabbie

Downloads: 119

Is it possible to have a version for LSH please
Noily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-10, 03:08 AM   #96
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Quote:
Is it possible to have a version for LSH please
Unfortunately not. Mantaining an extra version for another supermod is a huge aditional effort I can't take right now. In fact, once all fixes and glitches are fixed, further evolutions of the GUI will only come for NYGM (The one I use mostly) unless they are full new menu pages that can be replaced easily as a whole (F.e. what I plan for the TDC F6 screen).

In any case, I give open and free permission in the readme to do what you want with mod, so you can grab anything you like and put it into LSH.
Old 04-21-10, 08:21 PM   #97
swampy
Torpedoman

Downloads: 187

Hi, just got back to SH3 and Im trying out this great mod.
Have one problem, after I used the resolutionfix the torpedoes are firing when I use the mouse to turn the periscope.
I know I read about that problem somewere but I cant find the solution.
swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-10, 12:39 PM   #98
dfscott
Bosun

Downloads: 49

I tried this for the first time the other night and someone asked me for some feedback in another forum. Someone replied that the feedback might be useful for hitman, so I'm re-posting it here. Please take this with a grain of salt since a) I'm new to SH3 (see forum join date!) and 2) this is not meant as complaint or indictment of anything -- just my personal opinion based on a mere 4-5 hours of use:

Quote:
FWIW, here are my general impressions (about halfway through a patrol):

- It takes a while to figure out where to click the stopwatch. (It's apparently a known issue but he's having trouble fixing it.) It also took me some time to get used to the stopwatch appearance. My screen isn't very large and at first I had trouble telling the difference beween 2 and 3 minutes on the small hand, particularly the draggable one that has a simulated glare effect. I'm adjusting to this fairly quickly, however.

- Tab doesn't seem to work to zoom the optics. I think there's a comment in the manual about this, but just wanted to mention it. The wheel on the mouse works fine however.

- Getting used to the new locations of the TDC gauges on the periscope and UZO took a while. I don't read German, so I kept having to refer to the manual, particularly to find the torpedo bearing (not sure why I couldn't remember that one!). However, I imagine that more experienced SH3 players would already have internalized a lot of this, so I can't really call that a problem.

- Even after reading the Hitman GUI manual several times and doing several forum searches, I can't for the life of me figure out how to use the triangle plotting tool. I haven't needed it since I use the other tools, but I feel like I might be missing something that could make my life easier. If anyone can point me to a step-by-step example of how to use it, I would be eternally grateful.

Overall, here are what I feel are the overall pros and cons to this point:

Pros:
- The extra-large depth gauge is great. Not only is it easier to use, but there's also the aesthetic value of being able to request 40 meters instead of having to ask for 38 or 41 because you can't click accurately enough.

- I absolutely love the large heading gauge. The slide-out one for GWX was a huge improvement over stock, but IMO, this one improves GWX by the same amount. It's nice to be able to click, hold, and slide it to exactly the heading you want. Only when you release it, does the command take place (I think the others work the same way, but it's more useful with this version since you can actually see what you're doing!) And again, the aesthetic of the rotating inner plate is awesome looking!

- Optics are excellent. However, I didn't notice that much different between the observation scope and the attack scope at night. There was a crescent moon out and the visibility was "moderate", so maybe it needs to be darker? I don't worry about range at this point (90 AOB for all my shots), so I can't comment on using it to find range.

- Having the TDC right at your optics are nice. I'd gotten pretty good about flipping back and forth, but being able to switch from manual to automatic and make adjustments right there at scope is really handy.

Cons:
- There seems to be a lot more clicking required to get to the various TDC functions at the periscope/UZO stations. There doesn't appear to be any way to go directly from one display to the next -- you have to click click "Zeiss" to exit the current panel and then click the panel you want.

- Having torpedo depth on a separate panel bugs me. Maybe most people don't change it that much, but I like to give the board a quick review before I fire, and it's an extra step I have to take. I like it better at the TDC station where I can see everything at once. This is likely an issue with screen space, so I'm not sure what to do about it.

- Similar to the above, getting to the stop watch takes some clicking. On stock and GWX, I would typically mark the map, hit F3 to go to the scope, and then click the stopwatch to start timing. With this setup, I have to mark the map, hit F3 to go to the scope, click Zeiss to close whatever display I have up (it always seems to be something other than the stopwatch!), then click the stopwatch button to bring up the stopwatch, and then click the stopwatch to start timing.

- Both the above I think I can get used to, but the one that may be a deal-breaker for me is the whiz wheel. As nice as it is, it seems to come flying out at the drop of a hat and tends to cover a huge part of the screen when it does. I also seem to hit it at the most inopportune times, (such as when I'm trying to do some last minute tweaking to the TDC). I really wish it came out via a button like the enlarged gauges.

At this point, the pros outweigh the cons by a large margin, although if I could figure out a way to disable the whiz wheel, my opinion of this GUI would go up even more! Again, I'm only halfway through a patrol, so I may change my mind after a few more attack runs.
FWIW, since this post, I've come to suspect that the triangle plotting tool is only useful when you're not using map contact updates -- can anyone confirm that?

dfscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-10, 12:48 PM   #99
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Many thanks for the detailed and extended feedback. Most of your critics are well justified, but I just didn't want to hold the mod forever. Hopefully further versions will be having improvements.

The triangle for plotting is for no map contact updates, and it is actually quite easy to use once you understand it. May be I should make a video, but I am not good at that.

The slide out wiz wheel getting sometimes in the way is a problem, yes, mainly caused by the lack of space that has you hovering the mouse over there too easily. You can however also easily disable it, if it bothers too much. Simply open the file: "1024_menu.ini" with notepad and use the search function to find this:

[G3F I300]
Name=Lagewinkelscheibe
Type=1026; Menu Group
ItemID=0x3F4E1000
ParentID=0x3F000000 ;0x3F1C0000;3F000000
Pos=415,750,600,600
HorizSlide=600
;Color=0xFFFFFFFF

And put a ";" before the like "HorizSlide=600", so it all looks like this:

[G3F I300]
Name=Lagewinkelscheibe
Type=1026; Menu Group
ItemID=0x3F4E1000
Pos=415,750,600,600
;HorizSlide=600
;Color=0xFFFFFFFF

That's it. I might tie it to a button if I free up one, or may be simply use the knots/telegraph one.
Old 04-28-10, 12:52 PM   #100
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Quote:
Hi, just got back to SH3 and Im trying out this great mod.
Have one problem, after I used the resolutionfix the torpedoes are firing when I use the mouse to turn the periscope.
I know I read about that problem somewere but I cant find the solution.
Torpedoes firing when you turn the scope? That's a weird one I had not noticed before. Will use myself the hi-res fix and see what happens. BTW are you using it in a 4:3 or widescreen one?
Old 04-28-10, 01:09 PM   #101
dfscott
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
Many thanks for the detailed and extended feedback. Most of your critics are well justified, but I just didn't want to hold the mod forever. Hopefully further versions will be having improvements.

The triangle for plotting is for no map contact updates, and it is actually quite easy to use once you understand it. May be I should make a video, but I am not good at that.

The slide out wiz wheel getting sometimes in the way is a problem, yes, mainly caused by the lack of space that has you hovering the mouse over there too easily. You can however also easily disable it, if it bothers too much. Simply open the file: "1024_menu.ini" with notepad and use the search function to find this:

[G3F I300]
Name=Lagewinkelscheibe
Type=1026; Menu Group
ItemID=0x3F4E1000
Pos=415,750,600,600
HorizSlide=600
;Color=0xFFFFFFFF

[G3F I300]
Name=Lagewinkelscheibe
Type=1026; Menu Group
ItemID=0x3F4E1000
Pos=415,750,600,600
;HorizSlide=600
;Color=0xFFFFFFFF

That's it. I might tie it to a button if I free up one, or may be simply use the knots/telegraph one.
Thanks for the quick response! As someone who has written software in the past, I can certainly understand releasing something before it has everything you want it to. I must say though, it's quite good as it stands!

I think part of my problem with the Wiz Wheel is that I'm playing on a computer that's nearly too slow to run these mods, so my control of the mouse is less than perfect. I'll deactivate it for now and hopefully as I get used to it more, I'll get more comfortable with it. I do really like how it automatically enters your own heading for you.

Thanks again for an excellent mod.

Old 04-28-10, 01:37 PM   #102
geosub1978
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 229

Accidental torpedo firing is a problem indeed, with mouse left click after rotating periscope. Furthermore, at bridge free view, if you left click and rotate the view, it is not possible, for me, to left click and bring the cursor back. I also can't get the stopwatch work! How do you click it to start???

I use resolution fix at 1400x1050 for 4:3 screen.
Old 04-28-10, 03:39 PM   #103
dfscott
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by geosub1978 View Post
I also can't get the stopwatch work! How do you click it to start???
Stopwatch was a bit tricky for me as well. Click on the pin where the minute hand is attached, not the normal place you'd click a stopwatch. And you must click on the one on the UZO or periscope screen -- you can't click on the draggable one (in the box).

Edit: this might help:

Last edited by dfscott; 04-28-10 at 03:43 PM. Reason: added image
Old 04-28-10, 05:52 PM   #104
dfscott
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post

[G3F I300]
Name=Lagewinkelscheibe
Type=1026; Menu Group
ItemID=0x3F4E1000
Pos=415,750,600,600
;HorizSlide=600
;Color=0xFFFFFFFF

Hmm.. I tried this and that just causes it to be on the screen all the time. Do I need to change the Pos values as well?

Old 04-29-10, 08:12 AM   #105
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Quote:
Hmm.. I tried this and that just causes it to be on the screen all the time. Do I need to change the Pos values as well?
Dargn of course

Try this:

[G3F I300]
Name=Lagewinkelscheibe
Type=1026; Menu Group
ItemID=0x3F4E1000
Pos=1024,750,600,600 ; Was 415,750,600,600
;HorizSlide=600
;Color=0xFFFFFFFF