SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-15-08, 01:58 PM   #1
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default can you remove the binocular mission objective catagory?

i noticed i wasnt the only person who felt that the binoculars objectives seamed pointless and bothersome delay in your mission.

i was thinking, would it be possible to remove this objective from the game so you are given the flag objective instead so once you reach the location you can get orders to patrol the area and sink ships?

i dont know if it is as easy as just deleting the binocular file from some list of options but i thought someone may have an idea on how to avoid these 48hr parking lot objectives where you are stuck in one place.
Old 05-15-08, 03:43 PM   #2
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

RSRDC mod
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-08, 06:43 PM   #3
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEBSTER
i noticed i wasnt the only person who felt that the binoculars objectives seamed pointless and bothersome delay in your mission.

i was thinking, would it be possible to remove this objective from the game so you are given the flag objective instead so once you reach the location you can get orders to patrol the area and sink ships?

i dont know if it is as easy as just deleting the binocular file from some list of options but i thought someone may have an idea on how to avoid these 48hr parking lot objectives where you are stuck in one place.
These are all prewritten missions chosen randomly. It would mean a rewrite to change each one from a "Patrol Mission" to a "Reach Zone" mission and usually the "Reach Zone" also includes a hidden objective of "Sink tonnage".
There are 88 of them. Not a 'major' job but a bit of work.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-08, 11:02 PM   #4
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peabody
These are all prewritten missions chosen randomly. It would mean a rewrite to change each one from a "Patrol Mission" to a "Reach Zone" mission and usually the "Reach Zone" also includes a hidden objective of "Sink tonnage".
There are 88 of them. Not a 'major' job but a bit of work.

Peabody
if you can do it without needing special tools to open them then i might just take a stab at it, what file do i look for and where do i find it?
Old 05-16-08, 12:49 AM   #5
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEBSTER
if you can do it without needing special tools to open them then i might just take a stab at it, what file do i look for and where do i find it?
I guess I spoke a little too quick. The problem is saving them after they are changed, I forgot about that. You can't save as a normal mission because there is no player unit. If you save as a layer it changes the missiondatatype to 1 instead of 0. It can be changed with notepad but I'm not sure if that is the only difference. It's hard to find any one that can help because there was no manual with the program. I have done it and had it work, but I wouldn't want to mess up your whole game if I am wrong. I only had to do it a couple of times so it's not like I did a lot of testing. They were 'special' cases.
I'm not sure how the devs did it. And the missiondatatype may not make a difference but I wouldn't take the chance on all those missions.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-08, 11:21 AM   #6
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peabody
I guess I spoke a little too quick. The problem is saving them after they are changed, I forgot about that. You can't save as a normal mission because there is no player unit. If you save as a layer it changes the missiondatatype to 1 instead of 0. It can be changed with notepad but I'm not sure if that is the only difference. It's hard to find any one that can help because there was no manual with the program. I have done it and had it work, but I wouldn't want to mess up your whole game if I am wrong. I only had to do it a couple of times so it's not like I did a lot of testing. They were 'special' cases.
I'm not sure how the devs did it. And the missiondatatype may not make a difference but I wouldn't take the chance on all those missions.

Peabody
hmmm...

well as sober suggested, im looking at the RSRDC mod which has redone the patrols to make them better but im a kittle confused about it because im not sure what else it does or how well it works with other mods or how much it limits the use of other mods or the kinds of mods you can add.