SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > Sub Command, Fleet Command, & Jane's 688(I)
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-11-08, 06:12 PM   #1
Robsoie
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Fun with the sonar

Setting up in the mission editor a quick skirmish opposing a pack of 688i versus a pack of Kilo, i was amazed by the amount of torpedoes fired by my AI allies.
Seems like those Kilos AI stood no chances versus the 688i ones, as not a single torpedo was fired by them.

But while interesting, it quickly became for me, as i was playing without ai crew, a difficult problem, there was so many contact in either broadband and narrowband with all those torpedoes fired by my allies, that actually finding a Kilo contact was very difficult.

So in the middle of the dozen of contacts, i tried to select one that was very faint, and mixed with the bigger mk48 ones.

This one was called S12 and i tried to make a TMA fire solution quickly, as my allies torpedoes were already on the run, and i did not wanted to miss the party

My torpedo was then launched were i thought the kilo could be, but one of my ally torpedo was quicker and destroyed it soon after my shot.

But my torpedo was not finished, and so to see if my solution was acceptable, i let it be and followed it

Seems like despite i was short of few miles the kilo was on the correct path

Finishing the job

The sub surface sprites "things" that remind a bit of plancton when in front of such explosion actually looks like debris from the target , very nice.

In this one i consider it more luck than anything, as when i saw the very faint line on sonar, if i would have spent 10 seconds on another panel, the line would have been flooded by the torpedoes contacts that took its place quickly enough.

Now my question, when you get those kind of problem when there are lot of torpedoes ruining your sonar, how do you manage to get a good contact in such situation ?
Robsoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-08, 06:58 PM   #2
Blacklight
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 142

I tend to go with gut instinct. I will either watch the directons the eels are going and fire one in roughly the same direction as theirs, or I will wait for the torpedoes to clear the area so I can re-establish contact with the enemy.
Old 07-11-08, 08:15 PM   #3
Frame57
Sea Lord

Downloads: 2

Kilo's are very quiet. That is a difficult thing when the fish are flying. I would just go quiet and wait, if I knew one was out there. Wait for the noise tosettle down and then try to re-aquire the Kilo and if I had an idea of where he was I would try to close the distance a bit because he is having problems hearing with all the noise as well. Great pics by the way! "Give em a date with my MK-48"
Frame57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-08, 06:20 PM   #4
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Downloads: 68
Uploads: 7

That reminds me i got a few exercises planned soon including one coming up il take a few screen shots but its not what you would expect shoot this destroy that its a tad more passive.

Find out about Museum Ships here: https://www.museumships.us/

Flickr for all my pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/

Navy general board articles: https://www.navygeneralboard.com/author/aegis/
Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote