Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-24-14, 10:42 AM   #1
pythos
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 46
Uploads: 0
Default The possible loss of net neutrality

My GF brought up a worry when it comes to online games. Though SH 5 is technically a solo game, we have to be online with the Ubisoft server (I think, or maybe this has been changed). Now if this is the case, do any of you know the bandwidth that is used, and could this change in net neutrality in the states seriously affect our sim time before we start incurring charges?
I have been hoping Ubisoft would just release us from their on line copy protection shenanigans since the sim most of us is playing is so far from the p.O.S. the suits had released 5 years ago. \m/
pythos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-14, 11:28 AM   #2
Captain_Leavitt
Bosun

Downloads: 55

You don't have to play in online mode. In fact it has been recommended that you play in offline mode. To do this click on the sh5 desktop icon to open the ubisoft game launcher. Then click on the little rotary icon in the upper right hand corner. Go to settings then go to the network tab. click on always start in offline mode. Click save then close the launcher and restart. You are now playing in offline mode. Online mod is only for multiplayer. As far as the rest of your question goes I'm not really sure. Hope this helps
Captain_Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-14, 12:03 PM   #3
Jaystew
Sparky

Downloads: 50

What we need is a national faster internet option which is on par price-wise with cable. National FiOS with gigabit speeds would fatten up the lanes just fine.

This whole net neutrality really only became an issue when streaming video became a thing and because the quality of cable connections hasn't kept pace with the quality of the video that can be sent over it.

Twenty years ago we were content with 50kb/sec and streaming music wasn't really a thing, you just listened to the radio. Now with pipes fatter but not fat enough we really need a gigabit line coming through the majority of urban areas, and for the outlying areas we should have wireless transmissions. We already have cell towers all over, these should double as national internet towers too. 20Mbps is plenty fast and some areas don't even have that as an option. A 1Gb/sec line would be great if they could sell that on par with what cable charged I'd buy it.

As for Uplay and Ubisoft. I use a modified exe which no longer requires it. Want it?

Not sure when Ubisoft will learn. But the trend is pretty clear...

http://www.vg247.com/2014/05/29/10-r...s-to-kill-drm/

WatchDogs 2014 June
Assassins Creed IV 2014 May
SimCity 2013
Diablo 3 2012
Assassins Creed 2 2009
Silent Hunter 3 2005

DRM is a DISASTER ALWAYS IT NEVER WORKS AT ANYTHING EXCEPT COSTING THE COMPANY SALES

Why would you keep doing this Ubisoft?

Last edited by Jaystew; 06-24-14 at 12:16 PM.
Jaystew is offline   Reply With Quote