SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-08-17, 09:22 PM   #1
getbac
Watch

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 0
Default Steam users!

I, in no way, am here disparaging Steam or its operation. In fact it has been good to me and for me. That said I just gotta say this to any of you operating SH4 WP through the Steam platform. Do yourselves a favor and go to Amazon, spend $20 and dl the gold edition of the game. It truly is two differnt worlds. I had no idea how much I was missing. Sound, details and graphics are so much better, PLUS, it readily accepts the mod these great bunch of guys have givin us. I was having trouble getting mods to work because my version of Steam wolfpack was 1.3. I now have the latest versions and it works dandy so far. I see mod soup having a clearer meaning now
Well, off to the head to scrub the writing off the walls about the terrible things my crew says about me! I mean REALLY, how the hell is anybody supposed to do that with an oar?... sigh!
Old 02-09-17, 07:49 AM   #2
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

You most likely bought v1.4 from Steam and definitely bought 1.5 from Amazon. Two different games entirely, and it brings up a great point.

Suppose you want to buy a game but want all the advantages of Steam: portability and ability to redownload at any time. When Amazon is cheaper, buy the game there. You can then import it into Steam to have the best of both worlds. My SH4 still stays outside Steam because I only play in in one place.

When I did that with Unreal Tournament III it turned an unstable game into a much more stable and playable game. And I can visit your house, download and play it there!

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 02-10-17 at 07:48 AM.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-17, 10:56 AM   #3
getbac
Watch

Downloads: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
You most likely bought v1.4 from Steam and definitely bought 1.5 from Amazon. Two different games entirely, and it brings up a great point.

Suppose you want to buy a game but want all the advantages of Steam: portability and ability to redownload at any time. When Amazon is cheaper, buy the game there. You can then import it into Steam to have the best of both worlds.

When I did that with Unreal Tournament III it turned an unstable game into a much more stable and playable game. And I can visit your house, download and play it there!
Never thought about that. I'll have to find out how to do that. I think my bro inlaw would love to play this to and if we could play it together on a lan? Well that would be perfect!
Old 02-09-17, 12:28 PM   #4
Factor
Weps

Downloads: 180

Correction RR. Steam sells you the 1.3 version, not even 1.4. They offer UBM that will patch the 1.3 version to the current 1.5. Im guessing it is a marketing tactic to create more revenue for a 10 year old game. I just don't know why Steam drops the 1.3 version, and sell you the 1.5 bundle instead.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-17, 04:00 PM   #5
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Correction RR. Steam sells you the 1.3 version, not even 1.4. They offer UBM that will patch the 1.3 version to the current 1.5. Im guessing it is a marketing tactic to create more revenue for a 10 year old game. I just don't know why Steam drops the 1.3 version, and sell you the 1.5 bundle instead.
Yup, I think you're right. No game company should sell anything but the latest version of any game they sell.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote