SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-07-17, 07:06 PM   #1
PapaSmurf
Bosun

Downloads: 129
Uploads: 0
Default New member with a question

Hello everyone, this is my first post since I found this forum. I recently began playing SH3 again after a few years break when I discovered how to make it run on Windows 10. When I played before I took the easy route and let the weapons officer automatically calculate torpedo solutions. When I decided to begin playing again a couple of months ago I wanted to do things the more challenging way and started doing all torpedo calculations using the notepad and periscope or uzo. I am enjoying the game so much more now, even if it is more frustrating at times, in a fun sort of way of course! The problem I am having is that very often I will miss by just a few meters to the stern of my target. I am entering the information, range and speed, given to me from the periscope and my angle on bow is usually pretty darned close and yet I almost consistently miss by just 4 or 5 meters behind my target even at a range of 1km. I need help to learn how to lead my target by a half of a ships length more than I am. I just hope someone who is an experienced skipper can help this tadpole correct his problem. I am doing things pretty well to come so close I guess, but to come so close consistently but miss by just a wee bit is very very frustrating. Thanks in advance for any help! By the way, I love this forum already because everyone seems so ready to help one another. You don't find this everywhere in the internet.
PapaSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-17, 07:08 PM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

PapaSmurf!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-17, 08:00 PM   #3
Von Due
Sea Lord

Downloads: 30

Welcome, PapaSmurf.

One thing to remember is, any range data you put into the TDC gets outdated pretty quick. The TDC is good at keeping track of the ever changing angle on bow but that's all the change it can keep track of. Remember to do frequent range corrections as the target gets closer and be prepared for the good fire solution coming up quicker than you originally thought.

Also remember that no matter where you aim, the weapon officer insists that you fire dead center of the target so if you decide to fire off center, then that will throw off the solution if only ever so slightly. To aim at particular spots other than center, without going all easy mode, best to do the data collection and input into the TDC all by yourself. It can be a handful to learn but it is learnable.

Finally, it is no shame in using map contact update the first few patrols to double check what the WO and TDC are imagining happening. If the WO sets the range according to your notepad, double check on the map. Angle on bow and speed, same thing. Sometimes I wonder if the WO really wanted to join the Kriegsmarine or would rather grow his hair and go to San Fransisco ahead of time.
Von Due is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-17, 10:26 PM   #4
CTU_Clay
The Lone Wolf

Downloads: 315
Default Welcome To SubSum

Welcome to SubSim PapaSmurf!

If you like SH3, you might want to read from this link:
Home Lone Wolf Flotilla Forum

“Keep your eyes on the stars, and your feet on the ground.” .
CTU_Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-17, 10:43 PM   #5
19Herr_Rapp86
Lieutenant

Downloads: 259

Ahoy, PapaSmurf

You might also give OLC_GUI a shot!!! If you like manual targeting, you'll love it!

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1616

he also has a video tutorial of how to use all of his stuff!

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1112

Welcome, and happy hunting, Herr Kaleun
Old 02-07-17, 11:04 PM   #6
19Herr_Rapp86
Lieutenant

And the tools are accurate enough to get the job done, as you see!

TDC

Target Course Attack Disc

Range and AOB periscope whiz wheel

1st Torpedo Hits

2nd Torpedo Hits

She's Going Down!

Last edited by 19Herr_Rapp86; 02-07-17 at 11:10 PM. Reason: added captions
19Herr_Rapp86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-17, 05:50 AM   #7
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > PapaSmurf
Highly Recommended SH3 > LIVING SILENT HUNTER III EDITION 2015 Mega Mod > Full Tutorials And Much More In My Signature
Steam Conversion SH3 Installation Instructions By BL!ITZKR!EG
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-17, 04:44 PM   #8
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

Welcome. I have played SH3 on manual since it came out. I can tell you with experience this...

Forget range. When you are just learning manual, range is an extra step that simply adds to the stress of planning your attack. AOB and speed of target is what centers your shot!

If AOB or speed are off by even a hair, this can throw your calculations off!

Start off by learning to identify key AOB pictures. You should know what a ships 90, 0, and 45 degree AOB looks like by sight.

This can help with speeding up your calculations.

I only use range in convoys when I want to time my explosions.

Hope this helps.

DISCORD
https://discord.gg/6tFeTSUmVc
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-17, 02:30 PM   #9
PapaSmurf
Bosun

Everyone, thanks so much for the replies. Every little bit of information helps a new skipper like me. I think I found my main timing problem. It's kind of embarrassing to admit in public, but I was so used to the weapons officer doing everything for me in easy mode that when I started doing thing manually I was forgetting to open the tube doors....AAAARRRGGHHHH! That little delay was just enough to throw me off. My hit percentage has gotten much better now that I open the tube doors before firing the fish. Again, thank you for the replies, I read all of them and will try everything you guys suggest to see what works best for me. And Rapp86, I tried installing the download you suggested and gave a link for but when I clicked "doublemast", I think it was, I got a popup saying that app won't run on my computer. I don't know why , I'm just running windows 10 with nothing else special. If you have any installation hints I'm all ears. Thanks guys.
Old 02-09-17, 02:44 PM   #10
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 393

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
I was forgetting to open the tube doors....AAAARRRGGHHHH
I came home from work determined to post that for you - but you figured it out first

Welcome aboard - and good hunting

--------------------------------------------------
Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

FOTRS Ultimate
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=226270
The future of SH4 - coming to a PC near you soon
max-peck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-17, 07:24 AM   #11
19Herr_Rapp86
Lieutenant

PapaSmurf

Not entirely sure about Windows 10. I am running 7. When I get home from work I will see if I can somehow send you the files for DoubleMastTool from within my JSGME folder

EDIT:Okay PapaSmurf. I've got what you need

Step 1: In your MODS folder for Silent Hunter III make a new folder called DoubleMastValues (For whatever reason it named mine DoubleMastTool instead... No biggie)

Step 2: Next dowload data.rar from my mediafire link: https://www.mediafire.com/?ognok0ho71kgbbg

Step 3: Extract data.rar into the DoubleMastValues folder you just made in your Silent Hunter 3\MODS folder

Step 4: Enable DoubleMastValues after enabling OLC GUI 1.2.7 and enjoy the hunt!

You'll know that it worked correctly when you go to identify a target vessel. It should have (x2) next to the mast height. Follow OneLifeCrisis's Tutorial on how to use his tools and......

Kablammo!!! You'll be sinking ships left and right!

Last edited by 19Herr_Rapp86; 02-10-17 at 07:51 PM. Reason: added new information
19Herr_Rapp86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-17, 06:08 PM   #12
foo_jam2002
Sailor man

Downloads: 0

Hello Papasmurf and welcome! I am kind of a new skipper myself, so, advices from more experienced skippers would be more useful to you but i can say that you will get the hang of it as i did. You're very close. Keep hunting
foo_jam2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-17, 06:23 PM   #13
PapaSmurf
Bosun

foo jam, thanks for the encouragement. These guys sure know their stuff for sure! I'm reading everything I can find on here and I'm beginning to hit much more consistently which is getting exciting. My brain still has a tendency to vapor lock when things start happening too quickly but that's part of the enjoyment. This game really makes you use your noggin, so much better than point and click.