SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-14-10, 04:17 AM   #1
OuNiS
Engineer

Downloads: 70
Uploads: 0
Default What about proper time in game?

Look at this:

Local time is 12:31 time is 5:31.
12:31 and no sun on the sky? (weather: partial cloudy, wind: 4 m/s)

What local time means? Time in Germany (Berlin) or time on patrol position?
I think there's a huge bug with it.
At 12:31 with this wheater condition there should be a very nice sunny day, not dark like in Berlin at 5:31 morning!
Old 06-14-10, 05:53 AM   #2
nemchenk
Bosun

Downloads: 22

I've not been out of the North Sea yet, but I think Local Time is adjusted for the time zone. The clock is GMT, AFAIK.

So, looking at GMT 05:31 and Local Time 12:31, you are 7 hours ahead of GMT, somewhere in the Arctic Ocean? I'm basing that on September -- heading into winter -- and the fact that there is little sun at 12:31 where you are. Or perhaps you are in the Southern Ocean, where September would be just heading out of winter, and thus the darkness at noon?
nemchenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-10, 06:03 AM   #3
flakmonkey
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 78

Cant say ive ever noticed any bugs with it, the time on the clock is "german" time the local time is dictated by your current longitude, roughly +/- an hour for every 15 degrees i think.

Note: in game at extreme latitudes its quite posible to have no sunrise at all, just as in reality.
Old 06-14-10, 06:16 AM   #4
OuNiS
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemchenk View Post
I've not been out of the North Sea yet, but I think Local Time is adjusted for the time zone. The clock is GMT, AFAIK.

So, looking at GMT 05:31 and Local Time 12:31, you are 7 hours ahead of GMT, somewhere in the Arctic Ocean? I'm basing that on September -- heading into winter -- and the fact that there is little sun at 12:31 where you are. Or perhaps you are in the Southern Ocean, where September would be just heading out of winter, and thus the darkness at noon?
Nope. Actually south of Singapore about 7 km from port. East of Berlin.
And it is interesting. Hours seems to be ok, but no visible_time_of_day.

Last edited by OuNiS; 06-14-10 at 06:57 AM.
OuNiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-10, 08:07 AM   #5
nemchenk
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuNiS View Post
Nope. Actually south of Singapore about 7 km from port.
Singapore is GMT+8. Berlin is GMT+1. So, Singapore is Berlin+7, which explains the time/localtime you are seing.

As to why it is so dark -- I guess it's the weather. Latitude should not be a factor for it....

Edit: Mind you -- STARS due to weather?? That does look like a bug then -- the game is showing you the time of day for Berlin, not Singapore :]

Last edited by nemchenk; 06-14-10 at 08:43 AM.
Old 06-14-10, 08:41 AM   #6
OuNiS
Engineer

Quote:

Edit: Mind you -- STARS due to weather?? That does look like a bug then -- the game is showing you the time of day for Berlin, not Singapore :]
Exactly!
Old 06-14-10, 10:21 AM   #7
OuNiS
Engineer

Quote:
Singapore is GMT+8. Berlin is GMT+1. So, Singapore is Berlin+7, which explains the time/localtime you are seing.

As to why it is so dark -- I guess it's the weather. Latitude should not be a factor for it....
It's not a point.
There is a night on the picture (...before dawn (IMMOLATION!) ), but a local time is 12:31 or noon, middle of the day!
Old 06-14-10, 10:24 AM   #8
nemchenk
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuNiS View Post
It's not a point.
Which? Latitude or weather?

Latitude could still explain this if you were near the North and South Pole, but as you point out you are NOT at extreme latitude.

Weather could not explain the fact that the stars are out
Old 06-14-10, 11:43 AM   #9
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

The time that always shows in Greenwich Mean Time, or the time at 0 degrees longitude, which is London.

I've never seen this in my game before. I have no idea what could be causing it.
Old 06-14-10, 02:29 PM   #10
Hook
Bosun

Downloads: 10

I tried tracking the times of the sun and moon rising and setting, and I finally gave up because I couldn't make any sense of it at all. While you see such things as the moon moving properly against the stars, the next night it might start in the same place as it did on the previous night, and follow the same track over and over instead of advancing.

The sunrise and sunset times seem to be generally reasonable, although I don't know how accurate they are. But I did once see the sun set at 12:15 on the clock at compass direction 238 degrees somewhere near England, meaning the local time couldn't have been more than an hour away from the clock time. Edit: the date was November 28, 1939.

My best guess is that some combination of running long periods of 1x time and occasional shorter periods of 64x, 256x and 1024x, along with saving the game and reloading, has confused the astronomical clock.

Hook
Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-17, 04:58 PM   #11
B_K
Bosun

Downloads: 63

Sorry for resurrecting such an old thread, but now I have exactly the same problem as described: sun shines in game night and sets at game dawn. I am currently at Western Approaches, May '40. How to fix that? Has anyone found a solution after that many years?
B_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-17, 01:05 AM   #12
B_K
Bosun

Downloads: 63

Never mind, when I started a new patrol, the problem was gone. It could have been caused by making a few saves in a row - I was testing mods and entered patrol only for a while after each save. I also had a few CTD.
B_K is offline   Reply With Quote