SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-07-16, 09:26 AM   #1
Dallsim
Watch

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Are there any aircraft carrier simulators available for consoles?

Hi there! I might be on the wrong forum since subsim.com seems to be focused on submarine simulators. I realised this after signing up, but I figured there might be a lot of gamers on this forum that might know if there are any games that simulate full aircraft carriers, like those seen from Hollywood films like Top Gun etc.

My favourite aircraft is the F14-Tomcat and a loved playing After Burner in the arcades as well as the Ace Combat series. However, I was always intrigued about aircraft carriers, especially the massively huge ones that carry fighter planes.

Are there any simulators out there where you have to do general maintenance on an aircraft carrier, making sure everything is running as it should? Aside from steering the carrier, perhaps do some landing preparation from the tower etc.

I do not have a powerful PC, but understand that such games would probably only be possible there. However, if people know of any, I would be very happy if anybody good recommend some!
Dallsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-16, 09:29 AM   #2
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

No, I don't think there are any such AC sims for consoles (nor PC).
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-16, 05:43 AM   #3
Dallsim
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post
No, I don't think there are any such AC sims for consoles (nor PC).
Are aircraft carriers boring or what? Knowing that there are all these crazy simulators out in Japan, like the newly announced Densha De Go!! for the arcade, I guess it was just wishful thinking

Also always wondered, if people in the States wished to get close to fighter planes, would they join the Air Force or the Navy?

Anyway, mind as well research this forum and see if I can learn stuff about submarines at least, hehe. Especially the different qualities and features of submarines depending on country of origin.
Old 09-09-16, 11:04 AM   #4
Fubar2Niner
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 275
radar

Only carrier related stuff I can think of is:

Combat Flight Sim; (not sure which iteration, but one was Pacific, and therefor carrier based for the most part).

IL2 Pacific Battles; Again not solely carrier based but carrier ops none the less.

Both these are WWII obviously. Only modern carriers ops I can think of is:

BMS 4.33.1; This has F/A18 ops and again carrier based.

All these are PC only however.

Best regards

Fubar2Niner
Fubar2Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-16, 04:56 AM   #5
Dallsim
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar2Niner View Post
Only modern carriers ops I can think of is:

BMS 4.33.1; This has F/A18 ops and again carrier based.
Thanks for the recommendations! I YouTubed BMS 4.33.1 and noticed in a few vids that you learn to take off and land on aircraft carriers. Was a little tricky to find information about this title but will have a proper look later. Is BMS some sort of mod that is used with another game?
Old 09-12-16, 05:09 AM   #6
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

BMS is the last surviving iteration of the now legendary community-developement of Falcon 4.0, which stems from 1997, if I recall correctly. You need an original Falcon 4 disc to install BMS, I think. And that can be hard to find. These discs are more precious than gold these days.

Note: you need the original Falcon 4.0 disc, not the later commercial Falcon 4 Allied Force. However, if you cannot find an F4 default disc on the market, Allie dForce is the best way for you to get into Falcon then. It too is a massive development beyond the original Falcon, but it has no carrier ops. It focusses on the Balkan war, whereas BMS focusses on Korea.
Old 09-12-16, 05:36 AM   #7
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Downloads: 13

You can get the original Falcon 4.0 from GOG and Steam nowadays, so acquiring that in order to play BMS isn't as difficult as it used to be.
Old 09-12-16, 08:45 AM   #8
Fubar2Niner
Silent Hunter

Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallsim View Post
Thanks for the recommendations! I YouTubed BMS 4.33.1 and noticed in a few vids that you learn to take off and land on aircraft carriers. Was a little tricky to find information about this title but will have a proper look later. Is BMS some sort of mod that is used with another game?
Hi mate.

BMS 4.33.1 can be obtained here;

http://www.bmsforum.org/forum/content.php?

You have to register, to get into the foums and obtain the d/l link. As Skybird and Raptor point out you will need Falcon 4 to install the the BMS pack (which I must add, is free ) You can find Falcon 4 on GOG for hardly any cash. Hope this helps.

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner
Old 09-13-16, 10:38 AM   #9
Dallsim
Watch

Ok, I will follow the advice given. Hopefully my ancient laptop is up to the task. Not sure my girlfriend wants me to high jack her newly bought power desktop too much, haha.

Does the game still only demand the graphical power of a 90s flight sim or have the mods increased the graphical fidelity many levels beyond that?
Old 09-13-16, 01:50 PM   #10
Fubar2Niner
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Ok, I will follow the advice given. Hopefully my ancient laptop is up to the task. Not sure my girlfriend wants me to high jack her newly bought power desktop too much, haha.

Does the game still only demand the graphical power of a 90s flight sim or have the mods increased the graphical fidelity many levels beyond that?

Ok mate sorry to rain on your parade, but things have got a tad more demanding, however you can always turn those graphics down a notch or so.

Buy the GF a nice dinner somewhere (lets say the SHARD) and say.... oh sweetheart would you mind it so much if I installed this minutest of games on your d/t. Might work, might not, if not leave the girl and buty a desktop
Old 09-14-16, 05:21 AM   #11
Dallsim
Watch

Quote:
Ok mate sorry to rain on your parade, but things have got a tad more demanding, however you can always turn those graphics down a notch or so.
My laptop is old but cost quite a bit 6 years ago (approx. £1200). Hopefully I can use it if I turn down the graphics to maintain frame rate. What quality level flight stick would I need?

Quote:
Buy the GF a nice dinner somewhere (lets say the SHARD) and say.... oh sweetheart would you mind it so much if I installed this minutest of games on your d/t. Might work, might not, if not leave the girl and buty a desktop
Great idea actually Which one of the restaurants there would you recommend?
Old 09-14-16, 08:29 AM   #12
Fubar2Niner
Silent Hunter

Quote:
My laptop is old but cost quite a bit 6 years ago (approx. £1200). Hopefully I can use it if I turn down the graphics to maintain frame rate. What quality level flight stick would I need?
AS is always the case in these matters, the best you can afford and are comfortable with, I used a CH HOTAS for many years but have recently upgraded to Thrustmaster Warthog.

Quote:
Great idea actually Which one of the restaurants there would you recommend?
Don't know mate I have never eaten there, I don't have GF troubles

Fubar
Old 09-14-16, 12:35 PM   #13
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

As a keen FS9 (Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004) player, I've often thought about getting this:

A lot of folks still are devoted to fs9... there are so many add-ons now to make it look good, and the great thing is that your PC doesn't have to be an animal to run it.

This disc is always available on Ebay etc at a low price.

PS: don't listen to any advice that Fubar2Niner gives you, he is just bragging about his prowess with women again...
Old 09-15-16, 02:43 PM   #14
Fubar2Niner
Silent Hunter

@Dallsim

Under no circumstances listen to what Eichh says, he is part of the rebel alliance and a traitor.

Fubar
Old 09-16-16, 04:27 AM   #15
Dallsim
Watch

Quote:
Don't know mate I have never eaten there, I don't have GF troubles
Is this Iceman Kazinsky on the forum? You posting from Miramar?

CO Squirrel is the enemy?