SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-14-10, 02:59 PM   #46
ddrgn
Korvettenkapitän

Downloads: 362
Uploads: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythos View Post
Okay, I got some good results by,

1) changing the cg height to 3.0
2) Left the longitudinal position of the cg alone
3) changed the surface draught from 5.75, to 4.75
4) In the sub cfg file changed surface depth to 4.

These changes have resulted in some really good roll characteristics, in stormy conditions, or during heavy surface maneuvers in calm weather.

On calm waters the boat does not bob as bad, and slices through the water nicely. When maneuvers at flank speed are performed the boat will lean into the turn. This is the case under water as well.

In 15 knot wind the pitch is close to perfect. With the CG set at 3.0, the boat will roll really far every now and then. My experience is that it reaches the limit of what the camera can handle which results in an undesirable "popping up" effect. This will sometimes require the use of shift U, to get you back on deck.

If any one can figure out how to remove this problem, we can possibly have the boat lean further. The roll is not have high rates, it is slow roll, like that of a heavy boat like a sub.

(note: This changes were done on the mod of this thread. If you try to apply a CG height of more than 2.5, on the unmodded subs, the boat will capsize even in calm water.)

This mod is great, and with these changes it is wayyyyy better than stock.
Nice tweaks, now which boat is this you changed, the A?
ddrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-10, 05:12 PM   #47
pythos
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 46
Uploads: 0

I did it on all, and am in the process of testing all.

I just get tired of having to reload the whole game in order to test minute changes.

I have got the a to be surfaced at the light gray water line in still waters, in 5 meter per second wind it wants to dip lower.

I am just fiddling with stuff for now.

If you want to ddrgn, you may add those tweaks to your mod.

I hesitated posting the mod under my name, since the displacement and other sub behaviors were ddrgn's doing. I just tweaked the surfaced draught, and CG height.

For all I know the VIIA may behave beautifully, and the VIIC/41 will happily flip over when put into a crash dive.

I will mess with this stuff more this evening, and keep you all up to date.
pythos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-10, 08:14 PM   #48
furby
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 60

sea flat as a mill pond...PD at 13m...and my obbs scope is still under water?

any ideas?

apart from that...loving the mod
furby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-10, 08:16 PM   #49
ddrgn
Korvettenkapitän

Are you using twisty periscope thingys mods?

And which type boat is this happening in?
Old 05-14-10, 08:17 PM   #50
ddrgn
Korvettenkapitän

Quote:
I did it on all, and am in the process of testing all.

I just get tired of having to reload the whole game in order to test minute changes.

I have got the a to be surfaced at the light gray water line in still waters, in 5 meter per second wind it wants to dip lower.

I am just fiddling with stuff for now.

If you want to ddrgn, you may add those tweaks to your mod.

I hesitated posting the mod under my name, since the displacement and other sub behaviors were ddrgn's doing. I just tweaked the surfaced draught, and CG height.

For all I know the VIIA may behave beautifully, and the VIIC/41 will happily flip over when put into a crash dive.

I will mess with this stuff more this evening, and keep you all up to date.
Awesome, pass over the details of your changes and will add to the mod.
Old 05-14-10, 10:10 PM   #51
pythos
Grey Wolf

The details are all in my description. Really simple honestly.

I am noticing the VIIA, is having some roll instability in 4 MPS winds, and it seems to bob quite a bit. I may lower the CG .02 meters to see how that works. I don't like feeling I am in a bath tub toy. LOL So with that there is still some work to be done. This is happening with the boat in the campaign (new campaign since my old one got buggered by the patch.)

Some fun reading about the VIIA, in real life they had bad depth keeping properties....just like our Sh5 model does. That is kinda cool the devs kept that in mind. Or perhaps when you put in the historically accurate figures, we get an unstable boat.

For the person with the observation problems. Surface your boat and fully extend both scopes. Your problem will be glaringly obvious.

The eyepiece of the observation scope was in the control room, whereas the attack scope eye piece was a good couple of meters higher in the conning tower.

So at depths your attack scope is skimming the surface, the fully extended observation scope in at least 2 meters below the surface. This is acurate seeing as the scopes were equal length.
Old 05-14-10, 10:16 PM   #52
ddrgn
Korvettenkapitän

Quote:
The details are all in my description. Really simple honestly.

I am noticing the VIIA, is having some roll instability in 4 MPS winds, and it seems to bob quite a bit. I may lower the CG .02 meters to see how that works. I don't like feeling I am in a bath tub toy. LOL So with that there is still some work to be done. This is happening with the boat in the campaign (new campaign since my old one got buggered by the patch.)

Some fun reading about the VIIA, in real life they had bad depth keeping properties....just like our Sh5 model does. That is kinda cool the devs kept that in mind. Or perhaps when you put in the historically accurate figures, we get an unstable boat.

For the person with the observation problems. Surface your boat and fully extend both scopes. Your problem will be glaringly obvious.

The eyepiece of the observation scope was in the control room, whereas the attack scope eye piece was a good couple of meters higher in the conning tower.

So at depths your attack scope is skimming the surface, the fully extended observation scope in at least 2 meters below the surface. This is acurate seeing as the scopes were equal length.
Its not accurate for your planes men to just let the sub sink to the bottom, if the captain orders a 100m and it holds at 105m due to the maintain problem than that would be more accurate IMO. Instead of the planes men letting you slip into the abyss.

As for the other issues you mention, its all in the eye of the beholder ;]
Old 05-14-10, 11:41 PM   #53
milky
Loader

Downloads: 188

Im in the very first starter sub , but it seems that when i am submerged , the sub looks like its on its side a little ways. Like its rolled to the right for some reason. Its np at all , i can deal with it easy , but im not sure if its your mod though , i have several mods installed , but didnt notice it till this mod. Its not bad at all , but just in case you didnt know.
milky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-10, 01:34 AM   #54
pythos
Grey Wolf

After some time in the campaign in the type VIIA, in 5mps winds (sure wish there was a sea state reading, cause I swear the sea state is in no way connected to the wind sometimes) I found having the cg height at 3 to be too much. I have just lowered it to 2.5, and will see how that behaves.

Chances I will end up right back to the mods original settings. LOL
Old 05-15-10, 02:44 PM   #55
R-T-B
Sparky

Downloads: 324
Uploads: 5

Anyone able to point me in the right direction on how to mod CG height? I got granny editor going as per the guide, but don't know where to begin.
R-T-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-10, 05:05 PM   #56
ddrgn
Korvettenkapitän

Open up the goblin editor and load the NSS_Uboat7c.gr2 then merge the NSS_Uboat7c.sim

The settings are under unit_submarine and then unit_ship.
Old 05-15-10, 05:11 PM   #57
R-T-B
Sparky

Downloads: 324
Uploads: 5

Thanks man, spent all day trying to figure that out.
R-T-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-10, 10:21 AM   #58
UF582151
Watch

Downloads: 33

Patch looks great but I'm still not using it on a regular basis:

I find that the submarine is a little to "fiesty" even on very calm waters (playing a VIIA). That and I think it's running too low, my decks are awash too often I think.

Is there a way you can fine tune it and tone down a little the bobbing?

Again thanks for the effort.

Last edited by UF582151; 05-16-10 at 10:32 AM.
UF582151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-10, 11:24 AM   #59
kylania
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by UF582151 View Post
That and I think it's running too low, my decks are awash too often I think.
VIIA never gets up to 5m anymore with this mod, so you're constantly "decks awash". Here I am trying to use the deck gun with my new campaign and the VIIA:

Granted, if I were to slow down a bit it wouldn't be that bad, but it was still pretty funny when I brought up the sights and totally lost track of my target!

kylania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-10, 02:10 PM   #60
ddrgn
Korvettenkapitän

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylania View Post
VIIA never gets up to 5m anymore with this mod, so you're constantly "decks awash". Here I am trying to use the deck gun with my new campaign and the VIIA:

Granted, if I were to slow down a bit it wouldn't be that bad, but it was still pretty funny when I brought up the sights and totally lost track of my target!
I haven't spent too much time playing with the A, I will touch it up a bit for 1.4

Tags
favorite