SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > Sub Command, Fleet Command, & Jane's 688(I)
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-06-10, 12:13 AM   #1
ddiplock
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 31
Uploads: 0
Default Some Sub Command Questions

Ok, I just spent an hour on the first Halifax campaign mission in the Akula before quitting.

Everything appeared to be going ok, detected a few merchant's and an American Newport LST, my narrowband automatically classified it as a Newport and I was able to confirm this with a very quick periscope peek.

My questions are as follows:

When you get a classification that the game seems to pick for you in the narrowband sonar screen, is the first classification usually right or just a general classification to give you an idea of what you're up against?

Also, I got a 688 submarine classification showing up on my narrowband sonar display, but I couldn't appear to find him on the broadband sensor's, there did appear to be a very slight blip for about 2 seconds in his direction, then it dissapeared, yet when I went back to the narrowband and roated the sensor round to about 035, I instantly got a classification of a 688 submarine.

There was also a Ticonderoga out there too, also classified on the narrowband that I couldn't seem to find on the broadband sensors, and then their was ASDIC pinging that eventually began. Problem is, I don't know if the pinging was coming from the 688 sub or the Ticonderoga, or if I had even been detected....does your crew tell you when you have been detected? Or is the fact they're pinging mean they KNOW you are there?

Sub Command is very in depth, defo has a steep learning curve but its really enjoyable

Any answers to my questions are greatly appreciated guys
ddiplock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-10, 06:18 AM   #2
E.Luden
Seaman

Downloads: 6

Hi there, I'm also a complete noob and also noticed the elusive 688 and taranoga, and more furstratingly am a little confused as to where the submarine that I'm meant to be tracking is lol, though I must confess I'm driving my lovley akula while reading the manual ....
E.Luden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-10, 06:21 AM   #3
E.Luden
Seaman

Downloads: 6

though on another point I've noticed that 0 degrees on my perescope does not conform to the direction in which my sub is going but instead some fixed point (as a vet of the SH series this is some what confusing...) is this right?
E.Luden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-10, 11:39 AM   #4
washishu
Mate

Downloads: 2
Default It's a game; a good one but it IS a game

I have not visited the forums for some time. To ddiplock—can't remember where I got the information from but I did once hear that the physics and sonar modeling in Sub Command is very accurate. Maybe, maybe not, who can say? However, from my limited reading around the subject I think the problem lies with Hollywood! The submarine movies would have us believe that sonar is capable of detecting and identifying a vessel from one side of the ocean to the other and hear someone using an electric toothbrush 20 miles away. Nonsense.

The more information you have about a contact (this usually means being closer and/or listening for longer) the more accurate the classification will be, It's also affected by water conditions (these are set up by whoever creates the mission and determine how sound will travel through the water).

Given that we are not physicists and it IS only a game we have to take some things for granted. The "list" of possible classifications you get in the narrowband will get shorter as you get more information about the contact. You can also use your own judgment—that is, what are you expecting? Is it likely that this contact is what you are looking for?

It does seem that the autocrew are much more sensitive than you can ever be; that is, they can detect very slight blips that you won't recognise as possible contacts. But they can also get it wrong. You might find that the autocrew classifies a contact as one thing where you know for 100% certain it is something else. Well. it is only a game.

To E.Luden—Silent Hunter used both TRUE and RELATIVE bearings. Zero degrees TRUE is true north (different from magnetic north). Zero degrees RELATIVE is the direction you are pointing; that is, it is always the bows of the vessel, therefore 180 degrees RELATIVE is the stern of the vessel. This practice seems not to be used anymore—don't know why but I suspect that it is connected with electronic navigation systems which are not affected by magnetic variations and are able to keep track of true north no matter which way you are pointing, no matter how you twist and turn. It is more usual now, as I understand things, to use TRUE bearings only. As I remember (without checking) the 'scope stays at whatever bearing it is when you lower it. Therefore, if you have moved around some since you lowered it, when you raise it again it will be on a different bearing. The bearings in the 'scope are TRUE not RELATIVE.

If you play around in the Mission Editor a little, you'll get some notion of how things work. It's a game, it's not real. Enemy subs don't actually "hear" you at all. Detection is determined by the parameters set up by the creator of the mission. If this is set so that if you exceed a speed of (say) 5 knots within (say) 3 miles of an enemy sub you will be detected, then you can (if you know this information), zoom up to the enemy sub at 15 knots until you are 4 miles out, then slow to 4 knots and you won't be detected. The uncertainty lies in how accurate your fix on the enemy sub is and the mission editor has various means to inject this kind of uncertainty into the game.
washishu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-10, 02:02 AM   #5
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6

You must be using automatic sonar crew in which case it just guesses the classification of the detected sound contact through all possible frequency lines which were detected so yes it can be wrong!

One thing to check is that for each sound contact there's the probability ranking for them: low, medium or high. Low means there's a low probability that the classification is right and so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Luden View Post
though on another point I've noticed that 0 degrees on my perescope does not conform to the direction in which my sub is going but instead some fixed point (as a vet of the SH series this is some what confusing...) is this right?
Yes Sub command and Dangerous Waters are a little weird.
The scope are based on the compass so zero degree always points to the North and NOT always ahead!

Course is too based on the compass while bearing is based on the heading of your ship.

Hope it helps and if you like Sub Command do buy Dangerous Waters. With supermod it's much much better than Sub Command. Cheers and good hunting from one skipper to another
Old 10-18-10, 04:11 AM   #6
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castout View Post
...Course is too based on the compass while bearing is based on the heading of your ship.
No, to my knowledge ALL bearings in all the displays in the game are of a true bearing nature, meaning the number starts counting at north, not the bow.
Old 10-18-10, 04:23 AM   #7
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
No, to my knowledge ALL bearings in all the displays in the game are of a true bearing nature, meaning the number starts counting at north, not the bow.
Ah really my mistake sorry I think you're right. Me and my forgetfulness

Thanks for correcting. These new blood they need to buy Dangerous Waters . . . .hope the community would help them to be comfortable with their new found game and I hope their new found hobby eventually on naval or sub simming especially contemporary(modern) sub simming