SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > Sub Command, Fleet Command, & Jane's 688(I)
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-12-10, 01:22 PM   #1
Dutch
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0
Default TMA Tuts for Sub Command?

Hey guys. Well the other day I had the craving to drive a nuke sub so I loaded up my ol'e Seawolf and put to sea in Sub Command with special orders from SCXIIc. Well lets just say I have forgotten to much to do much of anything with the blasted thing and I need lots of help with TMA. Can anyone help this poor skipper get back into his A(Team) game? Are there any tutorials video or otherwise that I can glance over?

Any help would be greatly appreciated Skipper!
Old 06-12-10, 02:43 PM   #2
convoy hunter
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Hey guys. Well the other day I had the craving to drive a nuke sub so I loaded up my ol'e Seawolf and put to sea in Sub Command with special orders from SCXIIc. Well lets just say I have forgotten to much to do much of anything with the blasted thing and I need lots of help with TMA. Can anyone help this poor skipper get back into his A(Team) game? Are there any tutorials video or otherwise that I can glance over?

Any help would be greatly appreciated Skipper!
well to begin with you need to know the speed (calculated from deamon sonar by using tpk) & the bearing brom the contact.
then go to tma. put in the speed and lock it. then try to put the nose on the green arrow right on the bearing. then rotate the arrow so that all its bars match a line and thats it hit enter solution.
convoy hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-10, 01:46 PM   #3
Dutch
Sonar Guy

Ok yea I know how to do those things, I'm just lost on TMA.

Is there a guide to use TMA better? Because I will sit there and try and figure out a solution on to have it down perfect, then as soon as that happens I get a new bearing line and its all messed up. Then with the new bearing line its not even close to where I had originally had the solution for. So I work and work tweaking it to get it to come out right only for a new one to pop up and screw everything up again.
Old 06-13-10, 02:48 PM   #4
Dutch
Sonar Guy

Jesus, I've found the only tutorials I could find and they are both way over my head.

One is a video where it suggest to do I zig zag motion but just in text no words. Plus it doesn't mention whether I should zig towards or away from the target.

Second one TopTorp's TMA Guide. It was talking about LOS(Line of Sight?) but it doesn't say how to "build" these things in the game it just uses abstract graphs I guessing to help someone who already has a basic idea of how to do this. Plus from reading the guide it sounds like this guy served on a nuke so it just goes to serve that all the terminology that he uses is over my head. I guess what I mean is had he included in game shots of what would appear if this was happening I would understand it more.

Regardless I tried both "ideas" and both failed completely. It doesn't matter how close I get the lines and dots lined up as soon as the new bearing pops up it is not even close, and I can't even get it close (IE the lines just will not match up.....period.....) This is incredibly frustrating especially since this part of the community is a skeleton crew.

I appreciate the reply Convoy Hunter, but you need to input a great bit more amount of detail than that for me to understand it. I can get the speed but when I put it into TMA and try to move the bar around it doesn't get close at all. I can have like the first 3 bearings right on the money, then a fourth one will come out and BAM! Its 1, not even close and 2, impossible for me to even move the line anywhere near it given the first three lines and the speed of the target.

What in God's name am I doing wrong? I play 688(I) back in the day, of course I was a kid and didn't hardly understand any of it (plus I had crew on and truth). I want to learn how to really play this game (I've learned manual targeting for SHIII-IV there is no way this is more difficult to learn. Just different equipment.) Someone please help me!
Old 06-13-10, 03:26 PM   #5
goldorak
Admiral

Downloads: 0

Forget video tutorials for tma, what you need is a good dose of heaving reading.
The 2 main sources are :
  • the multiplayer tactical employment manual by timmy g00 hosted on subguru.com
  • the red book hosted on cadc website (commanders academy and dive center), you must be registered to download it though

Together these 2 documents (made by players for players) will teach you all there is to nkow about doing manual tma in sub command (and the experience can be applied 100% even to dw should you ever want to upgrade).
goldorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-10, 08:37 PM   #6
Dutch
Sonar Guy

Got the one from Sub guru, and I have learned a bit better now. Damn I had forgotten that I had two TA's. Time to put them back to work and get some strong working solutions! Thanks!
Old 06-13-10, 11:48 PM   #7
Dutch
Sonar Guy

While I have your attention can someone direct me to a cavitation chart for all the playable subs?

EDIT: Never Mind I found one.
Old 06-14-10, 10:41 AM   #8
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Subcommand comes with 3 tutorial missions in the Seawolve!!! It provides directions based on your progress. There is a tutorial tab in the mission section iirc.
Old 06-16-10, 12:38 PM   #9
Dutch
Sonar Guy

I'm slowly understanding what LOS is and how to properly use the TMA.

I was in a "lead" LOS when I was in a particular part of a mission and as the tutorial says it is almost impossible to get an accurate TMA in that position.

I just didn't know that it made a difference I guess. Makes sense now that I understand it.

I'm getting better at it slowly, I'm still trying to accomplish the first mission with Sea before I bounce all the way into the game. I'm trying different strategies on how to approach the TF but it seems to take forever for me to detect them on my TA. I mean I can spot them Visually before I can hear them sometimes. That doesn't seem right so perhaps I am still doing something wrong lol.