SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-10-10, 07:17 AM   #391
TH0R
XO

Downloads: 52
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGrey View Post
Since the march 6th patch the game runs rather choppy for me and crashes fairly often, not sure what is causing it. Also when you reach patrol area isnt the objective supposed to update?
The only 'choppynes' I get after the fog fix is in the CT, when on surface. Other than that - the game runs perfect. And the sensors are running as advertised.

What order did you install the mods?
Old 03-10-10, 11:10 AM   #392
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Watch crew still spotting ships at about 12000m, when I see nothing (clear sky, no fog).
In clear sky and light fog (I.e. crew will report "good visibility" conditions) crew will spot ships at that distance, and they should be rendered on your screen. They might be subtle to see in the horizon, but they should be there. Ensure your gamma settings are not obscuring the view (You can tweak them from inside the game mission, no need to exit: Just hit ESC and select the graphic options), and observe carefully.
Old 03-10-10, 02:32 PM   #393
Fish40
The Old Man

Downloads: 146

Can anyone provide a link for Hitman's Fog Patch. It seems it was removed from Mediafile. Thanks.
Fish40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-10, 02:43 PM   #394
flymar
Loader

Downloads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
In clear sky and light fog (I.e. crew will report "good visibility" conditions) crew will spot ships at that distance, and they should be rendered on your screen. They might be subtle to see in the horizon, but they should be there. Ensure your gamma settings are not obscuring the view (You can tweak them from inside the game mission, no need to exit: Just hit ESC and select the graphic options), and observe carefully.
I'm pretty sure I saw nothing on the horizon. HD resolution, 46 inches screen and don't forget the binoculars This is the same thing I was writing about some-teen pages before in this thread. Usually running with quite a bit TC. Watch reporting a contact. Nothing on horizon, no contact on map. Now few seconds with about 32x TC and then it shows. During that time watch do not report any contacts and I can TC even max and that wouldn't be possible if there will be nearby detected enemy.

Last edited by flymar; 03-10-10 at 05:48 PM.
flymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-10, 03:18 PM   #395
TH0R
XO

After your crew spots the contact don't expect to see it immediately. After exiting from high TC, it takes smoke a while to reach the altitude. Use no more than x4 or x8 TC to speed it up. Anything above that resets the smoke.

@ Fish40: it can be found in the latest Hitman's post on the previous page. That is the latest beta.
Old 03-10-10, 03:45 PM   #396
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Quote:
After your crew spots the contact don't expect to see it immediately. After exiting from high TC, it takes smoke a while to reach the altitude. Use no more than x4 or x8 TC to speed it up. Anything above that resets the smoke.
Yes that is correct, smoke will need some time to rise on the sky after high time compression, and anything beyond 8x will have it not appearing (You can change that in My Documents/SH4/Data/Cfg/Main.cfg, it's the parameter Particles=8). But the crew sees it instantly, even if it wasn't rendered on screen. Anyway, this would happen only under "excellent" visibility conditions. Flymar, did you check what visibility did the crew report? If they said excellent, the explanation could be what Thor said. If they just said "good", then you should have seen the ship rendered -not just the smoke-

I'll wait and see what other people report, unfortunately no solution is absolutely perfect. It's always a compromise.
Old 03-10-10, 03:58 PM   #397
Fish40
The Old Man

Thanks Thor, I got it
Old 03-10-10, 04:54 PM   #398
TH0R
XO

I am sorry to report that I am experiencing the deaf sonar guy again. Been given a Tambor class now, year is mid '43, I got all the equipment and on two occasions my sonar guy couldn't hear the merchant even when it was on 1500 yards away. First one was doing 9 kts, and second one 7 kts.
Old 03-10-10, 05:43 PM   #399
flymar
Loader

Downloads: 42

Last patch and fog sensor fix.

SS-285 Balao Class

1. Medium tanker
July 3 1943 - 45 N 144 30 E
Clear sky, no rain, good visibility
16:02 Radar contact, map contact
16:16 Watch contact ~9250m
Binoculars ~7500m

20m dive at 1000m distance - no sound contact but clearly hearable at sonar station

2. Fishing boat (convoy)
July 7 - 45 30 N 142 30 E
Clear sky, no rain, excellent visibility
17:35 Watch contact, map contact ~19400m (lockable)
Binoculars ~11300m

3. Junk (convoy)
July 8 - 45 15 N 143 45 E
Partly cloudy, no rain, excellent visibility
02:21 Watch contact, map contact ~6700m
Binoculars - after my deck gun fire set it on fire (hell it was a dark nigt)

4. Junk (convoy)
July 8 - 44 10 N 147 3 E
22:31 Watch contact, map contact ~6800m
Binoculars ~3200m
I think you've fixed the problem I mentioned in previous post. Runing max TC, contact reported, and it shows immediately on map.
Thing to worry is no sound contact reported at 1. Sonarman should definetely hear something.
Watch is superhumanly effective at night , but it may be because of my gamma (half) and the nights are really dark.. and I like it

BTW looking through deck gun scope at the bow shows that the lower part of boat is not finished - the mesh is ending in the view.

EDIT: Instant locking after contact report is a nice and seldom thing, but I'd preffer to lock on something I can really see.
flymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-10, 08:50 PM   #400
LukeFF
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH0R View Post
I am sorry to report that I am experiencing the deaf sonar guy again. Been given a Tambor class now, year is mid '43, I got all the equipment and on two occasions my sonar guy couldn't hear the merchant even when it was on 1500 yards away. First one was doing 9 kts, and second one 7 kts.
I'll take a look at it again.

ROW Sound Effects Contributor
RFB Team Leader
LukeFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-10, 04:35 AM   #401
TH0R
XO

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeFF View Post
I'll take a look at it again.
Thanks. I would just like to add that the sea was calm - 0 m/s winds, on both contacts.
Old 03-11-10, 07:16 AM   #402
Fish40
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH0R View Post

I had a similar experience. Loaded up latest patch and fog fix, and tried the single mission where the Growler must intercept a resupply convoy heading for Kiska. Gato class/42. Overcast skies good visibility. Lightning and thunder, no rain. The fog patch seems to work as my guys spotted the ships soon after I saw the first signs of smoke on the horizon. The sonar guy however never picked up the ships after I submerged. In the past, I remember him calling out the contacts every time I played this mission.
Old 03-11-10, 10:01 AM   #403
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

@flymar: Thanks for the detailed reports, I'll note some comments below so you can get an explanation of how the game works and understand better why the cre reports things you can't see:

Quote:
1. Medium tanker
July 3 1943 - 45 N 144 30 E
16:02 Radar contact, map contact
16:16 Watch contact ~9250m
Binoculars ~7500m
Since the crew knew the ship was already there because of radar, they found it quickier. That's probably an effect of the "already tracking" parameter.

Quote:
2. Fishing boat (convoy)
July 7 - 45 30 N 142 30 E
Clear sky, no rain, excellent visibility
17:35 Watch contact, map contact ~19400m (lockable)
Binoculars ~11300m
This is the typichal situation caused by the game sensors limitations. A fishing boat is small and it might not rise above the horizon until you are at 11300 metres, but for your crew there is no horizon at all. If they can see until 19400 metres, they will see the enemy there EVEN if land is between him and you!

Quote:
3. Junk (convoy)
July 8 - 45 15 N 143 45 E
Partly cloudy, no rain, excellent visibility
02:21 Watch contact, map contact ~6700m
Binoculars - after my deck gun fire set it on fire (hell it was a dark nigt)

4. Junk (convoy)
July 8 - 44 10 N 147 3 E
22:31 Watch contact, map contact ~6800m
Binoculars ~3200m
Probabaly a result of your gamma settings. I ensured that the enemy ship was rendered and visible on screen in dark nights, and indeed it was. But with lower gamma settings it might be simply invisible to you. This is a parameter that can't be tweaked satisfactorily for all possible monitor/gamma settings combinations. I'm thinking of adding to the mod a monitor calibration card (A BMP with grey scale so you can tweak monitor settings until you can differentiate the last two colours, so you know you have the same gamma settings with which sensors were tweaked).

Thanks again for the feedback, it really does help
Old 03-12-10, 05:07 PM   #404
TH0R
XO

Does de-acceleration, especially underwater, seem a bit too long to anyone else but me? Acceleration seems perfect on the other hand.
Old 03-13-10, 01:33 AM   #405
Chumazik
Nub

Downloads: 7

HI!
I have a problem - whenever I try to switch silent running mode nothings happens, exept officer shouting "yes sir, rig for silent running". Torpedos keep being loaded and repairs keep going (silent running mode button doesn't became red) What can you advise?
Chumazik is offline   Reply With Quote