SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-04-11, 09:42 PM   #7531
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

After months and months of trying to get the snorkel working I have finally succeeded

In both screenshots below read the text in the messagebox.

Even though it says engage electric engines the diesels were running at ahead flank @ 11m depth

I lowered the snorkel and the diesels shutdown and speed went back to ahead flank for submerged depth:

This was one way to make it work and not the preferred way. Now I'm going to make a new GR2 file for the snorkel and see what happens......
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-11, 10:20 PM   #7532
mobucks
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 209
Uploads: 0

TDW, i swear this is a true story:

I was playing tonite, looking at the engineers control buttons and noticed the greyed out raise/lower snorkel buttons. This got me thinking about how far you have come, and how rewarding it must be for you to take the game to new levels ect. I thought to myself "Man, TDW, I just know it, one day he will get that snorkel working, and when he does, it will be a great feeling for him."

I imagined myself as you, and how happy I would be if i could do something like that for this game and community.

This is borderline paranormal/psychic that I would log on just an hour after thinking about that and, here it is!

EDIT: I know its WIP, but dont forget to place the snorkel in the correct place on the boat. AFAIK it does not come out of the conning tower.
mobucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-11, 10:24 PM   #7533
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobucks View Post
TDW, i swear this is a true story:

I was playing tonite, looking at the engineers control buttons and noticed the greyed out raise/lower snorkel buttons. This got me thinking about how far you have come, and how rewarding it must be for you to take the game to new levels ect. I thought to myself "Man, TDW, I just know it, one day he will get that snorkel working, and when he does, it will be a great feeling for him."

I imagined myself as you, and how happy I would be if i could do something like that for this game and community.

This is borderline paranormal/psychic that I would log on just an hour after thinking about that and, here it is!
I've only proven that the snorkel does work in SH5. And it was actually easier to do than I thought Now the kicker is getting to work correctly (not substituting it for something else).....

EDIT:

and it looks like I've found the viable solution!
Old 08-04-11, 10:29 PM   #7534
mobucks
Seasoned Skipper

It seems I was wrong, there was 2 types of snorkel, a hinged version (first draft) that was powerd by hydraulics, and sat on the deck when unhinged, and a later version which was used in place of one of the periscopes.

http://www.uboataces.com/snorkel.shtml
Old 08-04-11, 10:34 PM   #7535
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
It seems I was wrong, there was 2 types of snorkel, a hinged version (first draft) that was powerd by hydraulics, and sat on the deck when unhinged, and a later version which was used in place of one of the periscopes.

http://www.uboataces.com/snorkel.shtml
I can't get the hinged one to work correctly. The telescopic one I can get to work as I want. I don't have to replace one of the periscopes either. What I'm going to do is place the telescopic one where the hinged one would be and it won't be visible when retracted (it will sink under the deck). Or should I have it just barely sticking out of the deck
Old 08-04-11, 10:44 PM   #7536
mobucks
Seasoned Skipper

barely sticking out seems like the best compromise.
Old 08-04-11, 11:14 PM   #7537
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Houston we have a problem: the size of this telescopic snorkel is HUGE! If I place it where the hinged snorkel should be then the bottom half is sticking out the bottom of the sub. It's going to have to be placed in the turm. I'm going to place it on the left side of the turm at the very front just left of XO. It's about the best I can do. I'll post screenie here soon.
Old 08-05-11, 12:18 AM   #7538
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

This is the best place to put the snorkel. It's not sticking out of the top of the turm that much and it's barely sticking out of the side of the bottom of the boat:

With it extended you can go to ~15m depth and run diesels (in calm water - small waves)

Where is the exhaust port on this sucker? I have to add smoke exhaust to it! Also have to add water splash from it cutting through the water.

Should I move it back (towards rear of the sub) more?
Old 08-05-11, 01:34 AM   #7539
mobucks
Seasoned Skipper

Here is an excellent picture of the placement on the VIIC. It would be outside the conning tower, but some of the plumbing was built next to it, not part of the hinge system (telescope was only used on IX subs.) therefore, you could in theory have a compromise of having much of the snorkel outside the boat, next to the conning tower, at a height roughly where you show in your screenshot.

From that link. Im guessing the vents are not moddled. Speaking of which, is there a possiblility of modifying the 3D model for this snorkel? This could solve some of your problems, ie, make it shorter/smaller.

Quote:
Originally German designers experimented with the idea of dispersing exhaust gases through underwater vents, so as to prevent smoke buildup which could be spotted visually. This idea was later dropped as the visibility of exhaust gases was considered too minute to justify serious development. As such, exhaust gases were simply expelled from small vents at the top of the snorkel head.
Two types of valves were used. The first was a ball float and later in 1945, it was replaced with a ring float. Both functioned in a similar concept. When above sea water, gravity would pull the float down, opening the valve above. When submerged, the positive buoyancy of the float pressed against the valve above, shutting it. When the snorkel was in its stowed position, the valves would open automatically so as to flood the tube.
Also, a video giving an idea where/how much exhaust/spray occured:

Last edited by mobucks; 08-05-11 at 02:12 AM.
Old 08-05-11, 07:25 AM   #7540
thfeu58
Officer

Downloads: 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
After months and months of trying to get the snorkel working I have finally succeeded

Congratulate you, this fantastic news!

Greetings
thfeu58
thfeu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-11, 08:11 AM   #7541
ETsd4
中国水兵

Downloads: 91

Quote:
File not found. Is the vid still up?

Congratulation to TDW to make a step closer to get the snorkel-equipment for SH5.
ETsd4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-11, 09:48 AM   #7542
Magic1111
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 783

Quote:
Originally Posted by thfeu58 View Post

Congratulate you, this fantastic news!

Greetings
thfeu58
2nd this !!!