SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-08-15, 11:55 PM   #1
suitednate
Planesman

Downloads: 43
Uploads: 0
Default Harbor raiding CTD?

Trying to raid Truk in Dec '42 and as soon as I get about 2 or 3 NM inside the south entrance the game CTDs. Happened 4 times in a row without fail. Also crashed once I was inside about 10 or 15 NM inside past the north entrance. Is too much stuff loading? During the run, I would be using TC maybe up to x64 for short bursts but no faster. There are also about 5 or 6 boats around me when this happens (on the south entrance). I've raided Truk before with no problem before around March or April '42. Sank the Soryu and a Takao cruiser. Anyone know what could be causing this?

I'm running:

RFB_2.0 (Real Fleet Boat)
RFB_2.0_Patch_23April2010
RSRDC_RFB_V575 (Run Silent Run Deep Campaign)
RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
Improved Ship Physics 2.15

I also added a couple edits to the sensors via jsgme (nothing changed mid patrol). These changed the parameters in the AI_sensors.dat, AI_Visual_sensors.dat, and sim.cfg files. These changes are of the variety that are of recent discussion here on the forum.

Also my computer is:
Intel core i5 @ 2.5 ghz
Windows 7 pro 32 bit
4 gigs RAM (also says 2.88 usable? Dunno what this means)
Intel HD Graphics 4000 (yes I'm running on a laptop)

Any ideas?
suitednate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-15, 12:32 AM   #2
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

I sounds like RAM issues might be involved. I don't normally make harbor raids, so someone else may have a better idea.

Also:

Quote:
my computer is:
Intel core i5 @ 2.5 ghz
Windows 7 pro 32 bit
4 gigs RAM (also says 2.88 usable? Dunno what this means)
Intel HD Graphics 4000 (yes I'm running on a laptop)
Maybe that means that Win7 32bit can only use 2.88 gigs RAM? This might not be enough in a crowded harbor scenario.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-15, 12:55 AM   #3
suitednate
Planesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
I sounds like RAM issues might be involved. I don't normally make harbor raids, so someone else may have a better idea.

Also:

Maybe that means that Win7 32bit can only use 2.88 gigs RAM? This might not be enough in a crowded harbor scenario.

For what it's worth, I'm using the Large Address Aware program thingy. I'm gonna go ahead and assume you have heard of it since you have been round these parts far longer than I have. It was supposed to help with the ram issue or something.
Old 01-09-15, 02:19 AM   #4
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by suitednate View Post
For what it's worth, I'm using the Large Address Aware program thingy. I'm gonna go ahead and assume you have heard of it since you have been round these parts far longer than I have. It was supposed to help with the ram issue or something.
Yes, it is, but you still have to have the RAM. When I got my machine, it came with 3 gigs; the reason being 32 bit Vista could not use any more than that. I think the game will only use up to 2 gigs, if left to it's own devices. Most have more than this, and can benefit from the LAA stuff. I'm not really the expert on this sort of thing, so someone else will have to assist you here.

It might be worth trying things without the LAA change. Your OS might not be suited for it.

A question:

When it crashes, are you in sight of any ships, or does it happen before you get close enough to see them?

Last edited by TorpX; 01-09-15 at 02:22 AM. Reason: additional thought
Old 01-09-15, 04:43 AM   #5
Spraug
Helmsman

Downloads: 35
Default Can't help, but my experience...

Sorry, but I know too little about software to actually help. But since I installed TMO I have had the occasional CTD when switching to periscope or outside bridge when using time compression. Maybe RFB has a similar issue?
1_TMO_25_small_patch
RSRDC_TMO_V502
RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
SCAF for RSRDC v502_2.0
IJN_Radar_Fix_2
Spraug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-15, 12:12 PM   #6
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

I doubt it's a RAM issue. 32 bit OS, 2.88 gigs is about right, the operating system itself won't recognize the entire 4 gigs, but should work perfectly using three.

Most likely culprit is Improved Ship Physics 2.15 - for any kind of physics mod the CFG and other files for every ship in the game are included, and if they don't exist in your game then you have a partial "ship" with missing files, the game crashes when it sees that ship.

Example, the mod creator has a mod or patch that includes BISMARK, he mods NBB_Bismark.cfg and NBB_Bismark.sim to change the physics. I have SH4 version 1.4, my version doesn't have a battleship Bismark, so the game finds the CFG and SIM files for Bismark, looks for the rest of the files to actually load the ship, gets into a program loop divides by zero and crashes.

Since I don't have 1.5 yet (I'll get it one of these days) I've run across several ship acceleration and physics mods that cause my game to crash because they were created and tested in 1.5, and it was assumed they would work with 1.4 without actually being tested in 1.4. The 1.5 "patch" apparently added some new ships which weren't in the original game, so this kind of glitch is fairly common.

I would deactivate Improved Ship Physics 2.15 and see if it still crashes, if it works without it then you'll have to notify the mod creator.
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-15, 07:14 PM   #7
suitednate
Planesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper297 View Post
I doubt it's a RAM issue. 32 bit OS, 2.88 gigs is about right, the operating system itself won't recognize the entire 4 gigs, but should work perfectly using three.

Most likely culprit is Improved Ship Physics 2.15 - for any kind of physics mod the CFG and other files for every ship in the game are included, and if they don't exist in your game then you have a partial "ship" with missing files, the game crashes when it sees that ship.

Example, the mod creator has a mod or patch that includes BISMARK, he mods NBB_Bismark.cfg and NBB_Bismark.sim to change the physics. I have SH4 version 1.4, my version doesn't have a battleship Bismark, so the game finds the CFG and SIM files for Bismark, looks for the rest of the files to actually load the ship, gets into a program loop divides by zero and crashes.

Since I don't have 1.5 yet (I'll get it one of these days) I've run across several ship acceleration and physics mods that cause my game to crash because they were created and tested in 1.5, and it was assumed they would work with 1.4 without actually being tested in 1.4. The 1.5 "patch" apparently added some new ships which weren't in the original game, so this kind of glitch is fairly common.

I would deactivate Improved Ship Physics 2.15 and see if it still crashes, if it works without it then you'll have to notify the mod creator.
Thanks for all the input.,,,,,.Well the creator of the improved ship physics mod is torpX whom posted right above. Hopefully he has some input. I'm running version 1.5 by the way with the mods I earlier stated.
Old 01-09-15, 10:02 PM   #8
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

As a modder myself I can tell you that when you mod any game files Murphy's Law reigns supreme, and last I checked that one still says WIP meaning Work In Progress. Probably be in progress for a long time, there's a LOT of things wrong with the physics that desperately need improvement. Meantime those who have 1.5 can help out by testing and reporting results to TorpX, if you can get it to crash consistently with the mod installed and not crash when the mod is deactivated, it should be easier to narrow it down to exactly which ship is the culprit.
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-15, 10:31 PM   #9
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper297 View Post

I don't see this as being at all likely.

First, I developed ISP with the same mods that suitednate listed, for v1.5 of SH4. If I forgot to include a ship in RSRDC in my mod, the game wouldn't crash, it would just use the pre-existing RSRDC version of the files. If I put an extra ship in ISP, that wasn't included in RSRDC or RFB, the game would just not use it. (There are no campaign files in ISP, nor any changes to the rosters.)

Quote:
I don't agree. 2.88 gigs for the system is about right, but he is using the LAA patch. If this lets the game use too much, there might not be enough left for the OS itself - result CTD. Usually, the LAA or 4gb patches are used in systems with 4gb or more. The fact that it only happens in proximity to Truk, suggests a RAM issue.

Old 01-19-15, 03:15 PM   #10
suitednate
Planesman

Well I disabled the Large Address Aware application and the game still crashed the next time that I tried to raid Truk. Oh well maybe I'll just stay away from going inside ports since they seem a little too easy anyways.

But if someone released a mod that makes harbor defenses more realistic (for the really important fleet harbors, I think Armistead talked about this in another thread) I would like to hopefully get this issue resolved at some point.
Old 01-19-15, 07:00 PM   #11
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

I had the same issue many moons ago.

This fixed it.

TRUST ME IT WORKS

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157

1_TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2-5
1_TMO_25_small_patch
RSRDC_TMO_V502
RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
Improved Ship Physics 2.6_TMO_RSRDC
TMO_Visuals_for_RSRDC
Fixed_CD_sonar_RSRDC
Classe_Balao_CamoTri
Pacific Sound Mod
Nav Map Make-Over v2.1
NMMO Airbase Add-on
NMMO v2.1 Patch 1 with AB
NMMO Maps Add-on
NMMO Pre Pearl Harbor Career Start Add-on
NMMO Reverse Ocean Colors Add-on
Less Plankton 1.2

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-15, 05:31 AM   #12
suitednate
Planesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc4ulfate View Post
I had the same issue many moons ago.

This fixed it.

TRUST ME IT WORKS

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157

1_TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2-5
1_TMO_25_small_patch
RSRDC_TMO_V502
RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
Improved Ship Physics 2.6_TMO_RSRDC
TMO_Visuals_for_RSRDC
Fixed_CD_sonar_RSRDC
Classe_Balao_CamoTri
Pacific Sound Mod
Nav Map Make-Over v2.1
NMMO Airbase Add-on
NMMO v2.1 Patch 1 with AB
NMMO Maps Add-on
NMMO Pre Pearl Harbor Career Start Add-on
NMMO Reverse Ocean Colors Add-on
Less Plankton 1.2
I've done this procedure before, does this basically mean I have to put my current career in the trash in order to do this procedure?
Old 01-21-15, 02:17 PM   #13
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

Yes

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote