SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-08-16, 02:10 PM   #121
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
If someone wants to upload this sometime today I give it a run trough also after I get home from work tonight.
It's in the Subsim download area. Compatible with everything.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-16, 03:00 PM   #122
XTBilly
Officer

Downloads: 157
Uploads: 0

Hello gentlemen. Too much work today, couldn't do anything...

RR, I'll follow the beauty of your brain fart because it always leads to good results. So, I'll have a test version tomorrow with only the DD's and DE's slowed down. Leaving the rest of the ships unchanged, right?

CapnScurvy, good observation. It's really strange the small passenger liner is the first to break formation, as this ship has about 20 knots flank speed if I remember correctly. That's more than most of the rest of the convoy ships.

But could the specified ship be the convoy leader? Adjusting it's position so another slower ship won't stay back? Do we have any clues about what ship is the convoy leader?

One bad side-effect when working with formulas is that while the results apply to most of the things changed, making the changes much easier, there are always individuals that require special attention, with the formula flaws identified only by testing each and everyone of them.

Cdrsubron7, if you're gonna download and play the Convoy from Hell....
Hell!! Do it with style! Download also the RR's sub nuclear weapons!!

Good night!
XTBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-16, 03:06 PM   #123
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
It's in the Subsim download area. Compatible with everything.
So I've seen. Anything special I should be looking for or take note of?

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-16, 03:39 PM   #124
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
So I've seen. Anything special I should be looking for or take note of?
1. The Convoy from Hell has 3 warships in there, including an Asashio.

2. That doesn't matter that much because every one of them is armed with deck guns.

3. If you arm yourself with Slightly Subnuclear Weopanry, an unfortunate side effect of that is that you also arm the enemy with Slightly Subnuclear Weapons...... . You'll die more than you win. Lots of replay value.

But as far as convoy value, this is a three column convoy with ships ordered pretty randomly. Using external camera I made the two videos of them breaking formation and scattering within a few minutes of spawning.

What we're interested in is whether we see the same difficulty keeping in three columns in the stock game. My educated guess is no, they will stay perfectly arrayed. After all, before 1.5, convoys were planted when you started your career and they had all kinds of time to devolve to mush. But when we found a convoy it was in orderly columns.

Let us know what you find! Post screenies!
Old 06-08-16, 09:36 PM   #125
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:
What we're interested in is whether we see the same difficulty keeping in three columns in the stock game. My educated guess is no, they will stay perfectly arrayed. After all, before 1.5, convoys were planted when you started your career and they had all kinds of time to devolve to mush. But when we found a convoy it was in orderly columns.
OK, I'm not sure if I have what your looking for. I haven't had v1.0 on my computer for a very long time, don't even own a copy anymore. So these screenies I'll be posting here are from v1.5 stock.

First, I was able to see that the convoy was in nice neat columns via the radar. The following screenshots run from game time 12:02 to about 12:13.

My submarine was not spotted either as I dived fairly quickly. So the ships scattering was not because they sighted me.

Last edited by cdrsubron7; 06-08-16 at 09:44 PM.
Old 06-08-16, 10:47 PM   #126
Berserker
Aggressive skipper

Downloads: 2166

This may sound stupid but how about putting more space between each ship..Maybe they are trying to avoid hitting with each other...
Old 06-09-16, 07:07 AM   #127
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
OK, I'm not sure if I have what your looking for. I haven't had v1.0 on my computer for a very long time, don't even own a copy anymore. So these screenies I'll be posting here are from v1.5 stock.

First, I was able to see that the convoy was in nice neat columns via the radar. The following screenshots run from game time 12:02 to about 12:13.

My submarine was not spotted either as I dived fairly quickly. So the ships scattering was not because they sighted me.
When we say the "stock game", we're talking about the game without any mods added to it. Makes no difference which version of the game we might be using (in this case v1.5). So, you did good....you ran the "Convoy from Hell" without any mods added to your game (except for the mission file mod).

Did you run JSGME'S "Compare Snapshot" feature to make certain your stock game files aren't corrupted? Always a good thing to do before testing the game.

The results look just like the two maneuvering mod videos?!? Strange the convoy doesn't do a better job at keeping station. Unless the .mis file was made with a mod activated in the background, throwing off the stock ships capabilities. That's something that one needs to be carefull with when making test missions.....you want only the stock game files in your .mis if your testing either the stock game, or what another mod may do to the stock game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Wolverine
This may sound stupid but how about putting more space between each ship..Maybe they are trying to avoid hitting with each other...
Yep, could be why the stock ships are scattering all by themselves. Comparing the test mission with a stock game mission (made by the devs) can reveal what distance or speed they used for a solid convoy make-up.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-16, 07:32 AM   #128
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Okay, so we need to check the .mis file. When I made it I wasn't aware that making a .mis file could be influenced by what mods you're running while making the mission, so this is unknown. I do know that none of the ship physics mods were active, but that isn't enough.

Time to make a new mission file! Straight stock 1.5 installation. Making a 1.0 installation would be meaningless because nobody plays that. Great screenshots! The column did stay together longer than it would have with either Jrex's or Webster's mods. I'm surprised it still did some scattering.

There are three warships in the convoy and they are part of the main group. I'd expect them to wander about, and I wonder if that confuses the convoy. Usually warships are arrayed around the outside of the convoy. That's another thing I'll fix in the new convoy.
Old 06-09-16, 07:52 AM   #129
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Yes the .mis files are influenced by whatever mod you may be running at the time of its making. If I made a test mission with RSRDC activated, then de activated RSRDC from the game, but used the test mission for another purpose. The RSRDC specific ships wouldn't show up in the mission, that would be the least of the issues........ up to maybe a CTD.

Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
Old 06-09-16, 09:24 AM   #130
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Okay, warships outside the columns. Modern Passenger liner in one of the columns to see if we have a .sim issue there. Completely stock 1.5 configuration when making the mission. I'll get Convoy from Hell 2 going tonight and post it.
Old 06-09-16, 10:48 AM   #131
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:
Did you run JSGME'S "Compare Snapshot" feature to make certain your stock game files aren't corrupted? Always a good thing to do before testing the game.
No, I didn't. To be truthful I wasn't aware that there was such a feature on the JSGME. As for the stock files being corrupted, I can't be say that it is a possibility, but I think it highly unlikely. All I use the stock game for is copies for using when I mod things using MultiSH4.

Quote:
I'll get Convoy from Hell 2 going tonight and post it.
If you like me to RR, I'll give your Convoy from Hell 2 a run after I get home from work tonight. If you would like me to?

Old 06-09-16, 02:33 PM   #132
XTBilly
Officer

Downloads: 157

gear Experimental Jackrabbit Eliminator

Uploaded a new file, called "Jackrabbit" in our shared drive, \WIP folder.
Detailed readme included. Please read it before releasing depth charges!

RR, I was just kidding. Of course you can upload any video you want mate! Just have mercy on me!

Good night to all,
Billy.
XTBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-16, 03:38 PM   #133
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:

No, I didn't. To be truthful I wasn't aware that there was such a feature on the JSGME.
The feature is in the "Tasks......" menu of JSGME.

However, in order to make a good comparison you needed to have taken the Snapshot before ever adding any mods to the game. The game files need to be from a clean install....just after adding JSGME to them. There are other ways of making sure you're dealing with un corrupted stock game files, this is just one of them. JSGME knows game files will sometimes get left behind, removed, or changed, thus the feature. Maybe the next time you reinstall the game you can take the Snapshot.

Quote:
Old 06-09-16, 03:53 PM   #134
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:
However, in order to make a good comparison you needed to have taken the Snapshot before ever adding any mods to the game. The game files need to be from a clean install....just after adding JSGME to them. There are other ways of making sure you're dealing with un corrupted stock game files, this is just one of them. JSGME knows game files will sometimes get left behind, removed, or changed, thus the feature. Maybe the next time you reinstall the game you can take the Snapshot.

As I mentioned the files in the stock v1.5 I have on my computer are virgin, this was the first time that I used the stock game to play anything. Anything can get corrupted over time but v1.5 had not been before last night.

Old 06-09-16, 06:52 PM   #135
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Well then, by all means take the Snapshot. In the future, when you feel something is wrong with the game, remove all mods from activation and let the "Compare Snapshot" to do just that.

After comparison the 4 different states of your game files are Same; Different; New; Removed. Any number of files other than showing as "Same" should cause you to look through the list to see what has changed. If its something as simple as the New: SI.bin file......you're fine. It's made when you start the game for the first time. The New: SH4Img.... are images you took during play, your fine there too.

Just look out for files coming back as "Different" or "Removed".....could be a corruption issue (although there are a couple of German flags "Removed" from the "Data\Textures\TNormal\tex" file for some reason with the use of some mods?? Why.... who knows??? not really a big deal either).

Quote: