SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-30-08, 05:35 PM   #16
mlp071
Watch

Downloads: 7
Uploads: 0

Well maybe word that i am looking for is realistic , not historical. I was quoting several different treads on that( my bad i guess).I don't want ships to be in same place all the time, but i also don't like idea of semi-mythical(non-existent?) captains/ships, just to make campaign harder.

My point is that in order for PTO to be bigger challenge, you need to give IJN capabilities that didn't exist till later decades.
Give them BHF 43' quality ASWIC's and gear(gradually), make me an underdog that way, and i can live with that.It's still WWII gear and I want them to react on me, as they should.

I don't play for tonnage, but for feeling of hunting and being hunted, so anything that gives me 100k tonnage/patrol is not gonna feel right to me.

Thats why i would recommend anyone to get new add on, not because they are U-boats , but you have better chances(with bigger mods down the road) to get more challenge within realistic limits.I think thats where SH4 will really shine in the end.

You are starting as underdog, and with every year you are getting even more behind.
mlp071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-08, 09:10 PM   #17
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlp071
Thats why i would recommend anyone to get new add on, not because they are U-boats , but you have better chances(with bigger mods down the road) to get more challenge within realistic limits.I think thats where SH4 will really shine in the end.

You are starting as underdog, and with every year you are getting even more behind.
That's why I just made more tonnage in my last U-Boat cruise than I ever made in the fleet boat under any mod setup, over 93,700 tons.

Two cruises. That's why Trigger Maru is more realistic than RFB so far. Realism is in the results. A 30k cruise is about it with TM and RSRD. The sky's the limit with SH4UBM. I sank everything I encountered. What would my tonnage have been if I had been selective and only sank 10,000 ton plus targets?

I think it's obvious that there is a semi-mythical component to every game: us! So by your definition, no simulation can be "realistic" or "historical." Ducimus taught me back in June that all of those high and mighty goals are just mirages. We chase them and they flee. We catch them and they transform into something unreal.

Read tater's reasoning that realism is ultimately defined by realistic player behavior. To produce realistic player behavior takes an "unrealistic" foe. A toothless foe breeds Terminator, Rambo, Renegade-like outlandish player behavior. If I wanted that I would play Unreal Tournament 3. Why do you think SH3 has such staying power?

Trigger Maru is bred from the same crucible of fear and dread. Your foe is not going to let you attack that convoy. You must beat him. Many American submarines in WWII found themselves in just such a desparate situation. What we have in stock enemy AI is a toothless enemy which poses no threat at all based on a false idea of realistic gameplay. I can trot out five real life proofs that will curl your hair. Then I can do it again. And again.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote