SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-05-16, 06:35 PM   #1
BananaLee
Nub

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0
Default Comprehensive MegaMod Features

Hi there,
I've played vanilla SH3 many many many many many moons ago and thought it'd be great to get back into it again.
I've been trying to read up on NYGM, GWX, and LSH3 and there doesn't seem to be a comprehensive list or comparisons of the three (apart from the pros/cons list on the not-so-beginners thread.

I guess my question is what are the main features of each of the two big mods? I'm not looking for a pros/cons list but a simple list of major changes vs. vanilla SH3 for someone who has only played vanilla.

Cheers
BananaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-16, 07:34 PM   #2
siege00
Officer

Downloads: 114

My 2 cents for what it's worth, and this coming from someone who has not tried NYGM, only GWX and lately LSH.

I think all of the mega mods will present you with a vastly different game than what you've played. I don't have nor can I point you to a really detailed feature list that you haven't already seen in these forums or on sites like http://www.thegreywolves.com/gwx3/.

I found GWX to be challenging, in just about every way and sometimes maybe more so than necessary, but extremely enjoyable. I'd recommend it based on my experience with it. You won't be disappointed, and as I said, any of these mods will present you with something that feels like a brand new game.

I'm finding LSH to be enjoyable as well, but it's too early for me to make a real comparison.

The best advice I can give is pull down the one that sounds the most entertaining based on the info available. Also pull down one of the amazing GUI mods that have been produced, and experience it for yourself. Backup your SH3 folder before installing any addons, and that way if you end up with something you don't like, delete it, restore the backup, and try a new one.

If you're a true diehard, which it sounds like you may be, you're going to end up trying them all anyway over time, so just pick one to start with.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...=202719&page=2
siege00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-16, 10:23 PM   #3
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

There are four major supermods for SH3.

NYGM is oriented toward making a realistically tough experience. They didn't bother with too many graphics changes, focusing instead on realistic AI tactics and the complications of trying to stay alive.

LSH3 is more about how the game looks and feels. You'll see sights and experience the feeling of being there.

WAC is devoted to realistic campaigns, allowing you to take part in all the major battles if you happen to be there at the right time.

GWX focuses on a combination of aspects, creating a balance between sight, sound, AI and overall feel for the experience.
Old 02-05-16, 11:30 PM   #4
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

BananaLee!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-16, 07:20 AM   #5
Damo
Captain

Downloads: 248

Or get MultiSH3.

INSTALL EM ALL!!!

(I've always preferred GWX, as Steve said it caters to all tastes, and it's the one I spent most time with. Personal opinion mind you).

The owl and the pussycat went to sea in a beautiful pea-green boat.
It only took one T1 eel to convince that boat not to float.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-16, 04:55 AM   #6
BananaLee
Nub

Downloads: 9

Thanks heaps for the feedback. I've got GWX and I'll do a few runs or two and try to remember how to shoot torpedos again

While it's no longer in development, I'd just say that it has *completed* development
BananaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-16, 05:04 PM   #7
HanSolo78
Sea Lord

Downloads: 100
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaLee View Post
Thanks heaps for the feedback. I've got GWX and I'll do a few runs or two and try to remember how to shoot torpedos again

While it's no longer in development, I'd just say that it has *completed* development
What about all the mods released after GWx? They are not in and there is no update of GWx released. I would say it is unfinished.. there are many great things left which have not been included.
Old 02-09-16, 05:48 PM   #8
HanSolo78
Sea Lord

Downloads: 100
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BL!TZKR!EG View Post
And that is why I persuaded you to get going so we release WAC 5.0 - remember?
Sure