SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-23-15, 12:26 PM   #16
granite00
Torpedoman

Downloads: 162
Uploads: 0

Hi CapnScurvey,
Thanks for writing.

I HAD working radar with the original conning tower. This was installed on Dec 7, 1941 before I left on my first patrol. I used 500 renown to install it. Perhaps this alone is a programming error and shouldn't have been allowed? Nevertheless, the game offered it, I paid for it and used it on all 7 patrols before the forced conning tower upgrade. No kidding, I saw the PPI spinning and watched targets on it for all 7 patrols. I routinely picked targets up at 14nm. I never used the A-scope during any patrol. After reading your response, I went into a saved game on my 6th and 7th patrols and am NOT able to turn the A-scope unit on or off. I AM able to turn the PPI unit on and off.

Answers to your questions:
  • This is my first ever SH4 war campaign and it began Dec 7, 1941.
  • The conning tower upgrade was forced in July 1942. Just so you know, I turned down new subs after my 3rd and 6th patrols. The upgrade was forced after my 7th patrol.
  • Fremantle is my current homeport (formerly Manila and Surabaya)
  • This is the first conning tower upgrade.

For the hell of it, I began a new Dec 7, 1941 Pacific campaign in Manila with a Porpoise sub and SJ was not available for 500 renown. I tried again, this time with a Salmon sub, and SJ was offered, installed for 500 renown and functioned. Seems like a coding problem.

I'm still interested in continuing the campaign with 7 patrols completed...if there's a way.

Last edited by granite00; 07-23-15 at 12:40 PM.
granite00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-15, 08:56 AM   #17
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Thanks Granite for getting back to me. Great information about the where and how of the problem!!

I know this issue has been around for a long time, however most players who have the issue usually move on before getting it resolved (I'm pretty sure the issue resolves itself when you change subs, or move ahead in time frame).

As I've said, you shouldn't have gotten an upgrade offer to SJ radar at the start of the war. So, the problem is either in the Salmon/Sargo files, or the Manila/Fremantle start files. More likely the sub's files.

This may take some time, probably some head scratching is in-order, but with your explanation it's something worth looking into!

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote